BH-Nederland Article

BHFAN

Eagles look to Nederland in playoff game
By Nathan Hague
The Baytown Sun
Published February 23, 2010
MONT BELVIEU — The Barbers Hill Eagles tipped off their basketball season with a 33-27 win over Nederland, and now, in the opening round of the playoffs, the 22-11 Eagles are set to take on the Bulldogs again.

The Class 4A bidistrict tilt is set for Tuesday at 8 p.m. at East Chambers High School in Winnie.

“We played them the first game of the season but I think the players have forgotten about that game,” Barbers Hill coach Nathan Toon said. “I know the coaches have. It was a long time ago and they’re a lot better now. But we’re a better team, too, so it evens out.

“I think they’re (the Bulldogs) still fired up after winning district.”

Nederland finished the season win an overall 19-14 record and won district for the first time since 1956. Nederland hasn’t won a playoff game since 1955.

The Bulldogs tied Ozen for the 20-4A title and beat Ozen 70-64 in double overtime Friday night to lock up their district’s top playoff seed.

Toon said he expects a large crowd for Tuesday’s showdown.

“I think it will be a fun environment,” he said. “Both schools bring great crowds and it’s a fun game for the players, and a good playoff game. I bet it will be a low-scoring close game.”

Nederland is a zone defensive team, something Toon said his team needs to attack in order to win.

“Our guys are confident,” Toon said. “We just need to instill that aggressiveness on offense, attack it and look for the shot instead of passing the ball around for 12 or 15 passes. If they have confidence in their shot, they’ll knock it down.”

Defensively, the Eagles’ focus will be down low to try to stop Dionte Forney and Kelvin Smith. Forney is averaging 13.5 points per game while Smith is averaging 12.5.

“Their biggest strength is their two post players,” Toon said. “They’re athletic, aggressive and they finish well. They’re a good offensive rebounding team. We know what they’re going to do and they know what we’re going to do.

“It will come down to which team executes the best philosophy.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou