21-3A Girls Basketball Team

Gabe

From staff reports
The Orange Leader

Here is the All-District 21-3A Girls Basketball Team as selected by the coaches:

Co-MVPs: Victoria Fontenot, Hardin-Jefferson; Raynisha Washington, Silsbe
OFFSENVIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Demetrius Heard, WO-S
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Ciara Guilhas, Hamshire-Fannett
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Jasmine Smith, Hardin-Jefferson
COACH OF THE YEAR: Jason Sanders, Silsbee

FIRST TEAM
Jordan Royal, Bridge City
Aimee Scales, Orangefield
Ashton Wagner, Orangefield
Latonya August, Hardin-Jefferson
Shameka Hudson, Silsbee
Nikyra Smith, Silsbee

SECOND TEAM
Mishaniqua Warnell, WO-S
Ryshaniqua Winbush, WO-S
Marissa Wyatt, Orangefield
Caitlyn Cossey, Hamshire-Fannett
Katy Williams, Hardin-Jefferson

HONORABLE MENTION
Cayla Adams, WO-S
Bethani Orebo, WO-S
Allison Angelle, Bridge City
Sara McPherson, Bridge City
Kasidy Hayes, Orangefield
Rebecca Higginbotham, Orangefield
AbreannaFontenot, Hardin-Jefferson
Corinthia Alexander, Silsbee
Ronnee Piggott, Hamshire-Fannett
Page Simmons, Hardin-Jefferson
Samantha Underwood, Hamshire-Fannett
Ashley Water, Silsbee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="764946" timestamp="1266961914"]
Congrats too all the girls mentioned and Kacy Juneau of OF who wasn't mentioned you had a pretty dang good year!
[/quote]

Good call on Kacy. Great guard for OF. Fits the mold so perfectly

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Bobcat05" post="764946" timestamp="1266961914"]
Congrats too all the girls mentioned and Kacy Juneau of OF who wasn't mentioned you had a pretty dang good year!
[/quote]

I agree, Kacy did all the little things that never get noticed. People can say what they want but she has heart. She played hard every game. 

I hate to throw a damper on the the thread because I'm all for recognizing the players in a district that excel but come on folks take a closer look at this.This is a 6 team district so you would have 30 players that would be starters in the district.There are 28 players on this list.It looks like awards day at little dribblers.These awards should be for the players that performed the best.

One more observation, The Silsbee coach did an outstanding no doubt but if you look at the all district picks he had the district co mvp and 2 first teamers.I believe Silsbee lost 4 district ball games.

The HJ coach had a co mvp 1 first teamer and the newcomer of the year on a club that went 10-0.How that can't get the nod as coach of the year is beyond me.

[quote name="whsalum" post="765362" timestamp="1266991848"]
I hate to throw a damper on the the thread because I'm all for recognizing the players in a district that excel but come on folks take a closer look at this.This is a 6 team district so you would have 30 players that would be starters in the district.There are 28 players on this list.[i][b]It looks like awards day at little dribblers[/b][/i].These awards should be for the players that performed the best.

One more observation, The Silsbee coach did an outstanding no doubt but if you look at the all district picks he had the district co mvp and 2 first teamers.I believe Silsbee lost 4 district ball games.

The HJ coach had a co mvp 1 first teamer and the newcomer of the year on a club that went 10-0.How that can't get the nod as coach of the year is beyond me.
[/quote]

I just spit coffee all over my desk..... pretty good line... :D

Be a good idea to just not publish All District teams. Most of the time it is a joke anyway. There are plenty of examples of this to share.

nobody loses anymore. we cant hurt anybodys feelings. I advise when you see the movie Generation Zero at a local theater, go see it and you will know why we are the way we are.you will see where this trophy for everyone mentality comes from.
There are winners and losers folks. Start being real with your kids and prepare them for the world. Look around at the world sometimes it is not too kind.....JMO

Preparation is still the key to success.....

[quote name="picnroll" post="765613" timestamp="1267039333"]
Be a good idea to just not publish All District teams. Most of the time it is a joke anyway. There are plenty of examples of this to share.

nobody loses anymore. we cant hurt anybodys feelings. I advise when you see the movie Generation Zero at a local theater, go see it and you will know why we are the way we are.you will see where this trophy for everyone mentality comes from.
[b]There are winners and losers folks. Start being real with your kids and prepare them for the world[/b]. Look around at the world sometimes it is not too kind.....JMO

[/quote]

Wow, I don't know of any parent that had anything to do with the selection, so where did this come from. But I will take your advice. Tonight when my daughter gets home I'm going to spell out what the world is all about. I just never thought it would start with High School Basketball All District selections. Cool!!

[quote name="picnroll" post="765613" timestamp="1267039333"]

There are winners and losers folks. Start being real with your kids and prepare them for the world. Look around at the world sometimes it is not too kind.....JMO

[/quote]

This looks just like a "patitan" post from a High School football thread.

[quote name="Gabe" post="765624" timestamp="1267040544"]
How is this team catching so much flack? I have seen many other teams with way more players on it than this one.

If you don't like it, go to coaching school so you can fix it. Haters

Good job 21-3A coaches and congrats to these young ladies.
[/quote]I wasn't downing the team just commenting on the size of club.There are some very good players on this club but if every starter on every team in this district made all district you would have 30 players.You have 28 players on this list.Are there really that many standout players in the district ? I have also seen other teams with more players but not in a 6 team district. I just happen to think that the players that excel should be recognized and it's just a fact of life that not all players excel.I have wished many times I had gone in to coaching but I don't think it would fix this.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="765854" timestamp="1267063463"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=66447.msg765624#msg765624 date=1267040544]
How is this team catching so much flack? I have seen many other teams with way more players on it than this one.

[/quote]I wasn't downing the team just commenting on the size of club.There are some very good players on this club but if every starter on every team in this district made all district you would have 30 players.You have 28 players on this list.Are there really that many standout players in the district ? I have also seen other teams with more players but not in a 6 team district. I just happen to think that the players that excel should be recognized and it's just a fact of life that not all players excel.I have wished many times I had gone in to coaching but I don't think it would fix this.
[/quote]

I have to agree with "Whsalum". My only question is why so many? How do you think the two girls that did not get picked feel. If you are going to nominate 28 kids, why not 30 and make it a clean sweep. This happens every year not just this year. I looked at the all district picks from 1979 in football. There was an offensive back MVP, offensive lineman MVP and MVP of the district. 25 first teamers, 28 second teamers and 17 honorable mentions.  Let say you have 22 starters in a 6 team league that is 132 players. Accorrding to the picks in 1979 only 73 kids got mentioned. That is a far cry from 28 out of 30. The percentages are a little off.  In 1979 it was 55% and 2010 is was 93% in girls basketball. Wish I had basketball in 1979 so I could compare the two.

I also agree with WHSalum, Bleed. New coaches aren't going to fix this. If you are named to the "Honorable Mention" team you are effectively the "3rd Team All-District" selection. All of this pc crap is out of control. When I played it was 1st or A team & 2nd or B team, not Red team & White team or whatever color fits....you know.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="766084" timestamp="1267106800"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=66447.msg765854#msg765854 date=1267063463]

[/quote]

I have to agree with "Whsalum". My only question is why so many? How do you think the two girls that did not get picked feel. If you are going to nominate 28 kids, why not 30 and make it a clean sweep. This happens every year not just this year. I looked at the all district picks from 1979 in football. There was an offensive MVP, defensive MVP, 13 first teamers, 12 second teamers and about 10 (?) honorable mentions. The 13 first teamers where all position players a punter and a kicker. That equals 13 like it should be. Let say you have 22 starters in a 6 team league that is 132 players. Accorrding to the picks in 1979 only 37 kids got mentioned. That is a far cry from 28 out of 30. The percentages are a tad off.
[/quote]

Bleed, help me understand those numbers you put out here. You say there was only 13 first team all-district players in football. I take it that this was an offensive and defensive combined? 13 just doesn't add up. 22 players, 11 offensive, 11 defensive, to me would be first team. Did they not do an offensive first team and a defensive first team?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="766099" timestamp="1267108514"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=66447.msg766084#msg766084 date=1267106800]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=66447.msg765854#msg765854 date=1267063463]

[/quote]

I have to agree with "Whsalum". My only question is why so many? How do you think the two girls that did not get picked feel. If you are going to nominate 28 kids, why not 30 and make it a clean sweep. This happens every year not just this year. I looked at the all district picks from 1979 in football. There was an offensive MVP, defensive MVP, 13 first teamers, 12 second teamers and about 10 (?) honorable mentions. The 13 first teamers where all position players a punter and a kicker. That equals 13 like it should be. Let say you have 22 starters in a 6 team league that is 132 players. Accorrding to the picks in 1979 only 37 kids got mentioned. That is a far cry from 28 out of 30. The percentages are a tad off.
[/quote]

Bleed, help me understand those numbers you put out here. You say there was only 13 first team all-district players in football. I take it that this was an offensive and defensive combined? 13 just doesn't add up. 22 players, 11 offensive, 11 defensive, to me would be first team. Did they not do an offensive first team and a defensive first team?
[/quote]

Your right AAW, that was Offense and defense first team I believe. I will look at it again tonight and give the correct numbers. The numbers should be around 61 out of 132. I hate it when I mess up. ;D

I agree with the numbers issue..... The problem is that the superlatives winners.... MVP, OFF POY, DEF POY, etc. are not included on the first team....Eliminate the Hon. Mention Category and there are still 15... (half of the district starters.)

I was at this meeting, and can tell you that there was concern by several coaches to not water the process down....

Count the MVPs as first team, 5 girls plus the 6 on first team that's 11...What team do you know of that only plays with 5 people? None.  I think the amount is good, I just think one team should have done a lot better with the picks they got.  :-X

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="766188" timestamp="1267116483"]
Count the MVPs as first team, 5 girls plus the 6 on first team that's 11...What team do you know of that only plays with 5 people? None.  I think the amount is good, I just think one team should have done a lot better with the picks they got.   :-X
[/quote]I can agree with that, if you had 11 all district player because no one plays with just 5.It's when you add the other 17 slots it gets kinda watered down.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="766845" timestamp="1267153842"]
[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=66447.msg766188#msg766188 date=1267116483]
Count the MVPs as first team, 5 girls plus the 6 on first team that's 11...What team do you know of that only plays with 5 people? None.  I think the amount is good, I just think one team should have done a lot better with the picks they got.   :-X
[/quote]I can agree with that, if you had 11 all district player because no one plays with just 5.It's when you add the other 17 slots it gets kinda watered down.
[/quote]

Do not agree with "Bobcat05". He is young and has no clue. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D You are right "whsalum" to watered down.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Bobcat05" post="766862" timestamp="1267155518"]
Bleed you're just too old to understand  ;D

Honorable mention is good and all, but it's really nothing...This is the first year it's even been posted I think in a while..
[/quote]

Your right "Bobcat05" except for the too old stuff. Remember I am old school and will never agree to the selection process in this day and time. ;D ;D 55%/98% numbers dont lie.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham