LU rocks No. 9 Rice, 13-7

Guest coachacola

Here's something about one of Lamar's "weak" non-conference opponents written up by Baseball America. The Black Bears are favored in the America East by the way and have gone to regionals 17 times and 6 CWS last one in 1986.

Under The Radar
Maine Pitching
Maine was swept in its opening weekend by Lamar, but the Black Bears held their own against a warm-weather opponent from a larger conference, losing the Friday and Sunday games by a combined three runs.

"We pitched really well against Lamar," Maine coach Steve Trimper said. "I am very excited with our arms. We've finally got the guys in place."

Two freshmen really stood out for Maine in Sunday's 17-inning loss to Lamar. Starter Jeffrey Gibbs, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound righthander from Toronto, allowed four runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out six over 5 2/3 innings, but evaluators came away from the game buzzing about his stuff. He sat at 90-92 mph for his entire outing, touching 94-95, and showed good command for his entire repertoire, which also includes a quality 82-83 mph slider and feel for a changeup.

"Gibbs is the real deal for us," Trimper said.

Steve Perakslis, a 6-foot-1 righty from Massachusetts, allowed just three hits over 4 2/3 scoreless innings of relief. His stuff was nearly as good as Gibbs'—he worked with a 91-93 mph fastball, according to Trimper. And the Black Bears have another power arm who did not even pitch in the opening weekend. Redshirt sophomore righty Kyle Benoit was sitting at 92 mph in his last live throwing session this week, Trimper said.

Trimper said the key for his talented young pitchers is to throw strikes. If they do, Maine could steal a win or two this weekend against a North Carolina team that had to work hard to score runs in a season-opening sweep of George Washington.

Guest baseball25
and maine just got blasted 11-1 against UNC, its LAMAR gilligan acts like he should get home and home against top notch schools but LAMAR isn't what is use to be. He's being to arrogant and all he cares about is his Career record I mean look at the dang non conf schedule its horribleeeeeeee, OUT OF 302 teams last yr North Dakota St RPI was [b]271[/b] lol and thats who lamar plays this weekend, I mean give me a break man you can find a better weekend series than that.
Houston Baptist RPI last yr [b]280[/b]
Texas Southern [b]290[/b]
pview [b]286[/b]
Texas pan am [b]293[/b]   thats 12 games right there that are dumb games to play, I mean I can see play maybe 6 games like but freaking 12 come on now. Thats a horrible non conference schedule my friend, so stop making excuse for lamar.

And it's not excuses for Lamar, I actually cover the team and have for a decade now and have traveled with them. Coach G builds a schedule based on his team. There was a ton of turnover with guys having no D1 experience coming in you don't just throw a team like that to the wolves and lose confidence. Say what you want about his career record if you actually knew the guy you would know he could care less about his coaching record.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92