UTA 75, Lamar 71 - F

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="765928" timestamp="1267067688"]
[font=Courier]Up 10 in the first half and up 6 @ half....

LU needs help on the court. A few local kids that I saw play last Saturday in the montagne could start and energize that team.

Tallest team ever can't dunk. Seems that no one cares. Hope football doesn't turn this way.[/font]
[/quote]

No one ever cares when they are losing. You know how energized this community can be when they win though.

not sure if the energy that we used to have in the Montagne and in Civic Center and MacDonald gym before that will be easy to get back.  Times were just different then in this area.  As far as changing coaches, I've said this several times, Roc's position is much the same as when Abatemarco was hired.  Both came in with great reputations as recruiters and many of the LU faithful thought (apparently) that they would be able to bring those type of players - or at least close to that level of young men - to Lamar.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Since Foster left they have tried different types and personalities of coaches and none have had a whole lot of success.  I certainly don't have the answer, but something needs to be done. 

[quote name="lu cards" post="766185" timestamp="1267116383"]
roc will get another year.i cant see lamar having another year like the last two and him keeping his job.one thing i can say about roc is he's doing a good job graduating players.
[/quote]Yep, there we go! I knew by the end of the season the graduation rate would start coming out......r u Roc??  LOL?

no.im not roc.been on here way before roc came to lu.im a pa guy so im pulling for roc but feel he has 1 more year to get it going.im a season ticket holder and cardinal club member first and a roc fan second.i think one more year is fair.the grad rates were something that needs to factor in but im no dummy.you got to win at some point.

[quote name="lu cards" post="766229" timestamp="1267119742"]
no.im not roc.been on here way before roc came to lu.im a pa guy so im pulling for roc but feel he has 1 more year to get it going.im a season ticket holder and cardinal club member first and a roc fan second.i think one more year is fair.the grad rates were something that needs to factor in but im no dummy.you got to win at some point.
[/quote]Oh okay, because I've already predicted that the graduation rates will be pushed after yet another unsuccessful season @LU

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="766233" timestamp="1267119843"]
[quote author=lu cards link=topic=66522.msg766229#msg766229 date=1267119742]
[/quote]Oh okay, because I've already predicted that the graduation rates will be pushed after yet another unsuccessful season @LU
[/quote] the 3 seniors that have already graduated (Nwevo, Nabors, Hall) are all 5th year guys who are taking graduate studies or teaching certification, is this correct? 

The first entry on this thread, Coop referred to the Cards as the "tallest team that can't dunk"...  everytime I see Custer try to dunk one I wonder "what ever happened to B J McClendon?"...

Anyway hope we win at least 2 more games and get in at #8 in the tournament....

[quote name="Spanky" post="766132" timestamp="1267112181"]
not sure if the energy that we used to have in the Montagne and in Civic Center and MacDonald gym before that will be easy to get back.  Times were just different then in this area.  As far as changing coaches, I've said this several times, Roc's position is much the same as when Abatemarco was hired.  Both came in with great reputations as recruiters and many of the LU faithful thought (apparently) that they would be able to bring those type of players - or at least close to that level of young men - to Lamar.  It just ain't gonna happen.

Since Foster left they have tried different types and personalities of coaches and none have had a whole lot of success.  I certainly don't have the answer, but something needs to be done. 
[/quote]  Abatemarco (a sportwriter I know in North Carolina called him Tommy Alphabet) was a good recruiter even at Lamar.  His problem, aside from his mouth, was that he was a lousy coach.  Gimmicks like box-and-one and triangle-and-two were used to the point where they were almost our base defenses.  We turned some very ordinary opponents into All-America candidates playing those.  I'm not part of the Roc lynching party but it does really concern me when I hear Roc talk about all he learned from Tommy A.

I doubt Roc will be let go after this season because of the youth on the roster and also because a great deal of attention is focused on football right now.  I am shocked at the lack of interest in LU basketball this year.  I have fallen prey to the same apathy.  I have missed more games this year than any year in the last 15 since I have been back in Beaumont.

Does anybody else think about the departure of Bubba Skelton after the 07-08 season as the beginning of the downward spiral of the the Roc regime.  Skelton was the Mississippi connection that brought the best talent of the Roc era.  The last Skelton recruit that I am aware of is Nabors who is our best player.

Beyond recruiting I thought Skelton was a great bench coach who didn't mind disagreeing with Roc.  How many times during his tenure did we see him directing the team during critical time outs while Roc watched over his shoulder or screamed at refs.

I like our group of assistants personally, but none have shown they can bring in kids with the talent of the Skelton recruits and none have been able or willing to step into the fray to help Roc make better decisions during games.

All that being said, I hope we win out and make some kind of a run in the conference tournament.  However, I am not optimistic

[quote name="lamarproud" post="766997" timestamp="1267193710"]
I doubt Roc will be let go after this season because of the youth on the roster and also because a great deal of attention is focused on football right now.  I am shocked at the lack of interest in LU basketball this year.  I have fallen prey to the sam apathy.  I have missed more games this year than any year in the last 15 since I have been back in Beaumont.

Does anybody else think about the departure of Bubba Skelton after the 07-08 season as the beginning of the downward spiral of the the Roc regime.  Skelton was the Mississippi connection that brought the best talent of the Roc era.  The last Skelton recruit that I am aware of is Nabors who is our best player.

Beyond recruiting I thought Skelton was a great bench coach who didn't mind disagreeing with Roc.  How many times during his tenure did we see him directing the team during critical time outs while Roc watched over his shoulder or screamed at refs.

I like our group of assistants personally, but none have shown they can bring in kids with the talent of the Skelton recruits and none have been able or willing to step into the fray to help Roc make better decisions during games.

All that being said, I hope we win out and make some kind of a run in the conference tournament.  However, I am not optimistic
[/quote]I'm guilty too! I haven't attended one game this season. I didn't plan to miss any games. I lacked interest in keeping up with the team. They were fun to watch last year.

[quote name="lamarproud" post="766997" timestamp="1267193710"]
Does anybody else think about the departure of Bubba Skelton after the 07-08 season as the beginning of the downward spiral of the the Roc regime.  Skelton was the Mississippi connection that brought the best talent of the Roc era.  The last Skelton recruit that I am aware of is Nabors who is our best player.
Beyond recruiting I thought Skelton was a great bench coach who didn't mind disagreeing with Roc.  How many times during his tenure did we see him directing the team during critical time outs while Roc watched over his shoulder or screamed at refs.
[/quote]
I stated that last year. Also go check out the success that NW Miss. CC had while Skelton was the HC. Then check out what they did before he arrived and after he left. Crazy! Where is he now? Could he be a future LU HC??

Nevermind I found him, he is HC at Village Christian Academy HS in North Carolina.

[quote name="badndn" post="767177" timestamp="1267215979"]
[quote author=lamarproud link=topic=66522.msg766997#msg766997 date=1267193710]
[/quote]
I stated that last year. Also go check out the success that NW Miss. CC had while Skelton was the HC. Then check out what they did before he arrived and after he left. Crazy! Where is he now? Could he be a future LU HC??

Nevermind I found him, he is HC at Village Christian Academy HS in North Carolina.

[/quote] Bubba left Jones County Junior College in Mississippi?  I thought that is where he went from  Beaumont?  I looked at JCJC site before the season to see if they might have any prospects LU could recruit and he was shown as HC there before the season, I believe.

Guest coachacola
[quote]Does anybody else think about the departure of Bubba Skelton after the 07-08 season as the beginning of the downward spiral of the the Roc regime.  Skelton was the Mississippi connection that brought the best talent of the Roc era.  The last Skelton recruit that I am aware of is Nabors who is our best player.[/quote]

The 07-08 team consisted mainly of JUCO players and last year's team would probably had been just as good if it weren't for all the injuries.  Since Skelton left Roc has shifted his focus to HS players and they take time to develop.  This year is basically a rebuilding year.  Four freshmen have played a lot of minutes.  I bet at least several freshmen get significant playing time next year too. I can't see Tubbs firing Roc until he's given a chance to win with these players.  Besides, Roc is averaging 16 wins a season (but that includes 4 gimmie games against non-D1 teams), so he's probably winning just enough to buy himself more time.

[quote name="Spanky" post="767281" timestamp="1267224590"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=66522.msg767177#msg767177 date=1267215979]
[quote author=lamarproud link=topic=66522.msg766997#msg766997 date=1267193710]
[/quote]

[/quote] Bubba left Jones County Junior College in Mississippi?  I thought that is where he went from  Beaumont?  I looked at JCJC site before the season to see if they might have any prospects LU could recruit and he was shown as HC there before the season, I believe.
[/quote]  According to their website, he's still there.  http://www.jcjc.edu/athletics/basketball/basketball.php  Jones County JC is in his wife's home town.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92