Ozen Dynasty Over

Bobcat1

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="766121" timestamp="1267111027"]
Who do they have coming back?  Is there another state championship team coming up? Seems they just fell off these last two years.
[/quote]The quality of competition has fallen in Beaumont. There are good players but none that I have seen so far who can carry a team. I've seen the kids go to Houston and play above average AAU teams and get blown out of the games.

our freshman and soph class of pplayers will be able to have all of yall on the bandwagon again. our soph class only loss one game as freshman and two freshman played varsity that year. we had 6 soph on varsity this year. so for the next couple of years yall are in trouble. we started 2 soph. i freshman class lost two game this years to only nederland and might i add we beat them twice as well. our underneath levels beat memorial, nederland, silsbee,png, vidors,livingston,and the rest of the i dont really play basketball schools. we took a bunch of freshman and selected soph to a varsity tournament and places 3rd but had chances to win it all and that tournament was held by a state rank 2a team and serveral other we beat.

stop hating on ozen you will be on the wagon again.

[quote name="desethion" post="766160" timestamp="1267114460"]
our freshman and soph class of pplayers will be able to have all of yall on the bandwagon again. our soph class only loss one game as freshman and two freshman played varsity that year. we had 6 soph on varsity this year. so for the next couple of years yall are in trouble. we started 2 soph. i freshman class lost two game this years to only nederland and might i add we beat them twice as well. our underneath levels beat memorial, nederland, silsbee,png, vidors,livingston,and the rest of the i dont really play basketball schools. we took a bunch of freshman and selected soph to a varsity tournament and places 3rd but had chances to win it all and that tournament was held by a state rank 2a team and serveral other we beat.

stop hating on ozen you will be on the wagon again.
[/quote]I'm not hat'n on Ozen. I like the program over there. I'm only saying your not going to have your dynasty like in years passed

Ozen first varsity season they went 16-14 with Coach Boutte losing in the second round. People were saying the same thing back then. For example, people would say why Coach Boutte playing those young guys and he don't know what he doing. The next season Ozen went 23- 7 losing to T.J. in the quarterfinals by one. People were saying Coach Boutte should be fired. Then in 2001 those same young players lead Ozen to their only State Championship. Then Coach Boutte became a Legend. I will give you another example of a great coach needing some time to win a championship. Coach Gamble went about 15 years before he won his first championship at Lincoln and people were saying get him out of town. So just relax and calm down.

[quote name="ShayneBasketball" post="766184" timestamp="1267116371"]
Ozen first varsity season they went 16-14 with Coach Boutte losing in the second round. People were saying the same thing back then. For example, people would say why Coach Boutte playing those young guys and he don't know what he doing. The next season Ozen went 23- 7 losing to T.J. in the quarterfinals by one. People were saying Coach Boutte should be fired. Then in 2001 those same young players lead Ozen to their only State Championship. Then Coach Boutte became a Legend. I will give you another example of a great coach needing some time to win a championship. Coach Gamble went about 15 years before he won his first championship at Lincoln and people were saying get him out of town. So just relax and calm down.

[/quote]Thats right! Look at your football team. Every school hits a dry spell and reloads.

It is true he was a great coach before he got to Ozen but the knock on him was could he build a program. He inherited a great program with great players at Lincoln, which he did a great job. Coach Boutte knew he had to build a program to be considered a legend. At Ozen he started with nothing and produced greatness, which made him into a legend. In my opinion, Coach Boutte is the 2nd greatest coach behind Coach Gamble in southeast Texas History. I didn’t forget about Coach Williams he would be number 3 in my opinion. 

I said he was a great coach but not a legend at Lincoln. In my opinion, he became a legend at Ozen building a program from nothing. Once again, he was a great coach in the beginning and became legend at Ozen. When you think Lincoln the first coach that comes to mind is Coach Gamble, not Boutte or Price. On the other hand, when you think Ozen the first name that comes to mind is Coach Boutte.  All these coaches are great people and great leaders with legendary careers.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="766261" timestamp="1267121724"]
[font=Courier]So if someone new comes in to H-J or Silsbee and continues to win....are they a great coach? Or is it just the tradition of the program? Let's use some common sense here. [/font]
[/quote]

if they win for a year they aren't great. If they do it for a career they are great. I don't care how good of a coach you are if you don't have the players then you can't win. With that said I feel like much of the credit should go to guys like Sutherland and joubert even though both programs were great long before them.

[quote name="ShayneBasketball" post="766294" timestamp="1267123387"]
I said he was a great coach but not a legend at Lincoln. In my opinion, he became a legend at Ozen building a program from nothing. Once again, he was a great coach in the beginning and became legend at Ozen. When you think Lincoln the first coach that comes to mind is Coach Gamble, not Boutte or Price. [b]On the other hand, when you think Ozen the first name that comes to mind is Coach Boutte[/b].  All these coaches are great people and great leaders with legendary careers.
[/quote]

Well duh!! Up until the middle of last season, he was the only basketball coach that Ozen had ever had. Of course people are gonna think Boutte when thinking of Ozen. ::)

Their dynasty was first cracked last year when they lost to Livingston. That was the first crack in their armor because Boutte was gone and the new regime had taken over. It was almost like an omen that the first game without Boutte they lose. They proceeded to win district but exited real quick against Huntsville by a wide margin and it was easy to see that Ozen basketball wasn't going to be the same for a while.

Boutte was the reason Ozen has won and that's going to change if things stay the same as they are now. Just saying. 

[quote name="ShayneBasketball" post="767022" timestamp="1267197350"]
Ozen struggle last year in the beginning of the season losing 5 or 6 games before January and that was   with Coach Boutte. This is a rebuilding year for Ozen and Coach Boutte said that Ozen wouldn’t be as good as years past no matter who coach this year.
[/quote]It's a down cycle in basketball in Beaumont. Saw it first-hand when MeltonY was open and players who were headed to Ozen. Good players but not anyone who could carry a team. Many players had good hustle but lacked many basic fundamentals of the game.

Blue is soo right... BMT is missing the height, the skill and the mindset.  Really starting to rebuild its face as a football city again.  But I remember times when all four skools had 6'5" players and taller.  Great guards and really good records.  I think it cycles for BMT and I see another cycl n about 2 years! 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham

• An abortion can only occur when the baby is still in the uterus.
    • Cliff Maloney: Democrats ‘Hemorrhaging’ in Pennsylvania; Donald Trump Can Win!  From the article:  "Democrats are “hemorrhaging” in Pennsylvania, and former President Donald Trump can win if Republicans motivate low-propensity GOP voters to cast their ballots, Cliff Maloney, heading up the Pennsylvania Chase, said during an appearance on Breitbart News Saturday, noting that Democrats are not boasting the figures they did in 2020."   Is this so hard to believe?  What does Kommiela Harris actually have to offer.  It's my understanding all Trump has to do is win these swing States:  Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia and he wins. This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up @Big girl  @UT alum  @CardinalBacker  @HuntersLaptop2028          What say you?! Too Big To Rig!
    • I can’t find any full-game film on Lake Creek from this season. They return a lot of big names from last year, as does PNG. Like last year, it’s going to be two well-coached evenly matched teams.  Three things I think we’ll need to win: (1) Defensive improvements. The defense has been good, and our performance against La Porte had a lot of bright spots. LP showed our weaknesses, and we got good reps against a violent, tough offensive line blocking for fast RBs who don’t go down without sure tackling. LC will be a more balanced offense, and I’d argue more talented than La Porte. We need to get better at outside containment and bringing the runner down at first contact. A single missed tackle is a touchdown for LC.  (2) Avoid turnovers. That’s important for any game, but last year, two of Lake Creek’s four touchdowns came off PNG fumbles. (3) PNG must dominate time of possession. This was the most important part of us beating them last year. I went back through every play of last year’s game. Here’s some rough numbers:  PNG held the ball 10-ish minutes longer than LC. (28 min vs 18 min). That’s nearly a full quarter more than LC. It gets more interesting: For every 2.5 minutes LC held the ball in a normal “true” drive, they scored one touchdown. [I didn’t count their scoop and score on a PNG fumble because it doesn’t tell us anything about how their offense moved the ball against our defense.] So, that ten minutes extra we held the ball was HUGE for PNG’s win. It might have been the main reason we won. That 2.5 min/TD ratio includes all of the good defense PNG played in that game — Even with us getting stops and sacking the qb and making big defensive plays, they still scored on 1/3 of their true possessions, at the 2.5 min per TD rate. In fact, our good defense actually didn’t stop them enough to slow their usual scoring rate much. They averaged around 56 points a game before they played us. If those ten extra minutes we held the ball had gone to LC, their offense was on a pace to score between three and four more TDs. In other words, LC was on pace to match their typical scoring average but for the fact that we held the ball for longer than LC (for example, we only let them have the ball once in the first quarter).  Obviously, this is based only on one game, but neither team has changed much since then.  What does this tell us? With equal T.O.P., PNG likely loses. Our best defense is LC not touching the ball. If we let the game become a shootout, we’re turning the game into a coin flip. LC wants the game to be a coin flip - They want a wild high-scoring game with 30 second possessions on both sides. They have the advantage in that kind of game - frankly, their receivers are faster than ours, their RB is better than ours, and their QB is more than good enough. If we have to win by matching them score for score, we lose control.  On the other hand, if we stubbornly and patiently hold the ball (with a heavy dose of running behind our biggest advantage, the OL), drain the clock and just keep getting 2-3 yards a run, with a few opportunistic passes when LC gives them to us, we make the game something LC desperately doesn’t want it to be. We can make their offense watch the game disappear from the sidelines. 
    • Yeah, I readily confess that I should have qualified my statement, and put it in quotes, like "per my neighbor", or something similar. My neighbor has two kids attending HF, and he was at the scrimmage, so really I'm just quoting him.  Anyway, it'll be a close game, I'm thinking. 
  • Topics