Tubbs: Roc is coach 'Right now'

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="773879" timestamp="1268158059"]
He'll probably be back, 2 years left on his contract i think, doubt LU will buy it out.
[/quote]
I doubt they buy it out, but if someone pays him nice change to be his assistant (recruiter) elsewhere??

Guest coachacola
[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="773879" timestamp="1268158059"]
He'll probably be back, 2 years left on his contract i think, doubt LU will buy it out.
[/quote]

I thought he had 1 year left, but still, he can't have that big of a buyout.  I still think Roc will be back next year, but if there's someone that Tubbs feels he must hire now then wouldn't he go after him?

Tubbs didn't win the three seasons he was here.  Roc inherited his team and had one of the most successful seasons in years.  Last two seasons have been injury plagued in case anyone has been paying attention.  If you are going to BUILD A PROGRAM, you must establish consistency.  The best way to do that is to find a committed coach to the school and stick with him.  This is not a stepping stone job for Roc as it would be for most other coaches who MIGHT come here.  Roc is committed for the long haul.  A guarantee: at the very least, the team will be in the conference tournament next season since they will be playing in the Eastern Division of the conference. 
The keys for next season: good health, two good shooters, and two good rebounders.

[quote name="LemonGello" post="775051" timestamp="1268313082"]
Tubbs didn't win the three seasons he was here.  Roc inherited his team and had one of the most successful seasons in years.  Last two seasons have been injury plagued in case anyone has been paying attention.  If you are going to BUILD A PROGRAM, you must establish consistency.  The best way to do that is to find a committed coach to the school and stick with him.  This is not a stepping stone job for Roc as it would be for most other coaches who MIGHT come here.  Roc is committed for the long haul.  A guarantee: at the very least, the team will be in the conference tournament next season since they will be playing in the Eastern Division of the conference.  
The keys for next season: good health, two good shooters, and two good rebounders.
[/quote]

Wow.........a guarantee to get to the conference tournament.  Now that is huge.   If he can do that let's keep him ::)

Also, I hate to break it to you the three seasons you are talking bad about Tubbs were roccafortes recruiting classes not Tubbs.  And that is a fact!

[quote name="sleepy" post="775070" timestamp="1268316629"]
[quote author=LemonGello link=topic=67086.msg775051#msg775051 date=1268313082]
Tubbs didn't win the three seasons he was here.  Roc inherited his team and had one of the most successful seasons in years.  Last two seasons have been injury plagued in case anyone has been paying attention.  If you are going to BUILD A PROGRAM, you must establish consistency.  The best way to do that is to find a committed coach to the school and stick with him.  This is not a stepping stone job for Roc as it would be for most other coaches who MIGHT come here.  Roc is committed for the long haul.  A guarantee: at the very least, the team will be in the conference tournament next season since they will be playing in the Eastern Division of the conference.  
[/quote]

Wow.........a guarantee to get to the conference tournament.  Now that is huge.   If he can do that let's keep him ::)

Also, I hate to break it to you the three seasons you are talking bad about Tubbs were roccafortes recruiting classes not Tubbs.  And that is a fact!

[/quote]

Roc had one decent recruiting class and after Nabors leaves he doesnt have a step up kid ready to go!!! Nabors carried this team!

[quote name="LemonGello" post="775169" timestamp="1268324191"]
Sleepy,
Roc was the recruiter with Tubbs. The head coach must approve the recruits before they are signed. All of that accountablity still falls on the HC.  Those recruits also played on Roc's team that won the SLC regualer season title.
[/quote]

Call it what you would like to call it. I honestly don't care.  Roc did the recruiting and they were HIS players.  Tubbs gave him full consent to do what he wanted.  Make it go for him or against him I do not care........I am just telling you what happened.

Guest coachacola
In my opinion Roc made the mistake of going after mostly JUCOs his first couple of years. 

It paid off 2 years ago with that 13-3 conference record, and probably could have won the SLC tourney if it weren't for some injuries and bad luck.  Last year's team probably would have come close again to 20 wins and a good conference record if it weren't for all the injuries.  Nabors and Nwevo out all season, Dawkins playing with a broken foot or toe (I forget), plus other players had nagging injuries.

This was going to be a rebuilding year anyway and we wouldn't be having all this talk about Roc if the previous 2 years had gone the way as planned.  But since Roc has shifted his focus from JUCOs to HS players this type of season was inevitable.  I think with Nabors, Nwevo and Hall coming back it gave us false expectations. 

4 freshmen got a lot of playing time plus he red-shirted 2 others.  His best recruit (PG Nuno Muandumba from Arizona) had citizenship issues and couldn't play so I think Harris was a last minute replacement.  Next year 4 more freshmen are coming in, maybe 5 if Nuno Muandumba still comes.  I think Tubbs will give Roc another year to win with these young players.

I think the only way Roc leaves is if (1) he leaves gracefully (by taking a high paying assistant job at Kentucky or someplace), (2) they negotiate down his buyout, and (3) Tubbs already has a replacement ready to step right in so LU doesn't lose any signees.

[quote name="coachacola" post="775201" timestamp="1268325774"]
In my opinion Roc made the mistake of going after mostly JUCOs his first couple of years. 

It paid off 2 years ago with that 13-3 conference record, and probably could have won the SLC tourney if it weren't for some injuries and bad luck.  Last year's team probably would have come close again to 20 wins and a good conference record if it weren't for all the injuries.  Nabors and Nwevo out all season, Dawkins playing with a broken foot or toe (I forget), plus other players had nagging injuries.

This was going to be a rebuilding year anyway and we wouldn't be having all this talk about Roc if the previous 2 years had gone the way as planned.  But since Roc has shifted his focus from JUCOs to HS players this type of season was inevitable.  I think with Nabors, Nwevo and Hall coming back it gave us false expectations. 

4 freshmen got a lot of playing time plus he red-shirted 2 others.  His best recruit (PG Nuno Muandumba from Arizona) had citizenship issues and couldn't play so I think Harris was a last minute replacement.  Next year 4 more freshmen are coming in, maybe 5 if Nuno Muandumba still comes.  I think Tubbs will give Roc another year to win with these young players.

I think the only way Roc leaves is if (1) he leaves gracefully (by taking a high paying assistant job at Kentucky or someplace), (2) they negotiate down his buyout, and (3) Tubbs already has a replacement ready to step right in so LU doesn't lose any signees.

[/quote]

I respect that coach... You made really good points... D you really think Tubbs has a coach in waiting?  It so funny because everyone has inside knowledge and its all conflicting.  Only time will tell I guess.  Then we will just give kudos to the guy who had the right info!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats