Stop That Coach! ESPN's Rick Reilly's Take on Yates Coach Greg Wise

[quote name="homeless" post="776879" timestamp="1268571610"]
Orangefield destroys someone in baseball. Its a big deal for a few days. Yates destroys someone in hoops. Its a big deal for a month or two. You naysayers need to get a grip. These kids aren't permanently damaged in any way whatsoever. IN FACT, I GUARANTEE you that in 10 years -- maybe less -- some of those Houston Lee players will BRAG, "Yeah I played against that unbelievable Yates Natl champ team. They were THAT good. They crushed us us so bad...."   Also, somewhere out there, a former HS CB is bragging that HE was the one on that viral/ESPN football youtube video when Cy-Fair's Sam ??? hurdled over. I was in a downtown Houston high rise, thick-carpet law office a while back when two of us got off on 1970's high school hoops and the lead mega-priced attorney across the table starts bragging on how his Clear Creek team lost to Jackie Carr's Wheatley Wildcats by less than anyone else in the state that year. We even did the Wheatley clap-whisper-chant for the whole room. ITS ALL F-U-N. That's the epitome of kids sports. Even kids without that perspective at the time gain that perspective over time. Adults should already have such perspective. All y'all should try it. If y'all had ANY CONSISTENCY AT ALL, you'd call for the resignation of the UIL Executive Director, but if course "that's different."  Loopy logic ABOUNDS. One FURTHER example from this thread: Rick Reilly tries to connect a shooting incident to Yates coaching style and NO ONE ADMITS ITS OVER THE TOP. Perspective, gentlemen, perspective. Try keeping things in proportion. [b]This might be my last post here because a moderator disagrees with me[/b]. Perspective
[/quote]

enough with that.  you make a nice post with several good points (that i do in fact disagree with), but it's a well thought out opinion that is a valuable contribution to the discussion.  leave it at that. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bullets13000" post="776894" timestamp="1268575726"]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=67188.msg776879#msg776879 date=1268571610]
Orangefield destroys someone in baseball. Its a big deal for a few days. Yates destroys someone in hoops. Its a big deal for a month or two. You naysayers need to get a grip. These kids aren't permanently damaged in any way whatsoever. IN FACT, I GUARANTEE you that in 10 years -- maybe less -- some of those Houston Lee players will BRAG, "Yeah I played against that unbelievable Yates Natl champ team. They were THAT good. They crushed us us so bad...."   Also, somewhere out there, a former HS CB is bragging that HE was the one on that viral/ESPN football youtube video when Cy-Fair's Sam ??? hurdled over. I was in a downtown Houston high rise, thick-carpet law office a while back when two of us got off on 1970's high school hoops and the lead mega-priced attorney across the table starts bragging on how his Clear Creek team lost to Jackie Carr's Wheatley Wildcats by less than anyone else in the state that year. We even did the Wheatley clap-whisper-chant for the whole room. ITS ALL F-U-N. That's the epitome of kids sports. Even kids without that perspective at the time gain that perspective over time. Adults should already have such perspective. All y'all should try it. If y'all had ANY CONSISTENCY AT ALL, you'd call for the resignation of the UIL Executive Director, but if course "that's different."  Loopy logic ABOUNDS. One FURTHER example from this thread: Rick Reilly tries to connect a shooting incident to Yates coaching style and NO ONE ADMITS ITS OVER THE TOP. Perspective, gentlemen, perspective. Try keeping things in proportion. [b]This might be my last post here because a moderator disagrees with me[/b]. Perspective
[/quote]

enough with that.  you make a nice post with several good points (that i do in fact disagree with), but it's a well thought out opinion that is a valuable contribution to the discussion.  leave it at that. 
[/quote]Its been my experience over the years that calling a bully a bully backs them down. NOW enough with that!

[quote name="RP3" post="776945" timestamp="1268595013"]
You MUST REMEMBER.....All of the Rick Reilly's of the world have NEVER won anything BIG in sports in their lives and hate people who do...WAY TO GO YATES!!......KEEP SETTING AND BREAKING RECORDS!!!!
[/quote]

:D
:o

[quote name="RP3" post="776945" timestamp="1268595013"]
You MUST REMEMBER.....All of the Rick Reilly's of the world have NEVER won anything BIG in sports in their lives and hate people who do...WAY TO GO YATES!!......KEEP SETTING AND BREAKING RECORDS!!!!
[/quote]

Rick Reilly has been voted sportswriter of the year 11 times.  i'd say that's pretty BIG in sports, no matter which side of this argument you're on.

Orangefield destroys someone in baseball. Its a big deal for a few days. Yates destroys someone in hoops. Its a big deal for a month or two. You naysayers need to get a grip. These kids aren't permanently damaged in any way whatsoever. IN FACT, I GUARANTEE you that in 10 years -- maybe less -- some of those Houston Lee players will BRAG, "Yeah I played against that unbelievable Yates Natl champ team. They were THAT good. They crushed us us so bad...."   Also, somewhere out there, a former HS CB is bragging that HE was the one on that viral/ESPN football youtube video when Cy-Fair's Sam ??? hurdled over. I was in a downtown Houston high rise, thick-carpet law office a while back when two of us got off on 1970's high school hoops and the lead mega-priced attorney across the table starts bragging on how his Clear Creek team lost to Jackie Carr's Wheatley Wildcats by less than anyone else in the state that year. We even did the Wheatley clap-whisper-chant for the whole room. ITS ALL F-U-N. That's the epitome of kids sports. Even kids without that perspective at the time gain that perspective over time. Adults should already have such perspective. All y'all should try it. If y'all had ANY CONSISTENCY AT ALL, you'd call for the resignation of the UIL Executive Director, but if course "that's different."  Loopy logic ABOUNDS. One FURTHER example from this thread: [b]Rick Reilly tries to connect a shooting incident to Yates coaching style and NO ONE ADMITS ITS OVER THE TOP. Perspective, gentlemen, perspective. [/b] Try keeping things in proportion. This might be my last post here because a moderator disagrees with me. Perspective
[/quote]

i've been thinking about this one, and i think Reilly is partially right on this, but very irresponsible in the way he states it.  is there more likely to be an altercation between fans after a game when one team has been thoroughly humiliated?  sure.  should the blame for some idiot pulling a gun in one of these said altercations be placed at the feet of Coach Wise?  absolutely not.  although i agree with most of the stances Reilly takes in this article, that is one sticking point for me, and shockingly enough, one point for us to agree on. 

Orangefield destroys someone in baseball. Its a big deal for a few days. Yates destroys someone in hoops. Its a big deal for a month or two.
[/quote]

Orangefield destroyed someone.....Yates destroyed MULTIPLE people.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats