Deals could mean bigger things for LU athletics

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Lamar is definitely looking to join a FBS conference, and it's something Tubbs has been looking into for a while.  Whole article here:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/deals_could_mean_bigger_things_for_lu_athletics.html

Look at the steam coming from Terrors head. I wonder if BNSF or KCS could use a steam engine.

"Yes, we plan to do that, in a five-year program we would like be in the FBS, which is the Bowl Subdivision," Tubbs said. "That's where we aspire to be. As things are moving around, we want to position ourselves to have the possibility of upgrading our football program."

This article says the expected capacity will be 15,300 per information on LU's website.  I looked on there and could not find anything about the stadium.  I remember reading on this board that the capacity would be 16,000.  I know that the capacity was listed as 17,500 back in the old days.  It just keeps getting smaller and smaller.  Will be lucky to be 10,000 by the time it is completed!  I wish we could just get the straight facts from LU with all the architectural drawings and all the statistics of the stadium.  Those drawings splashed all over the place would probably help season ticket sales.  That said, you gotta love the thinking of Tubbs and Simmons.  I applaud the big time thinking that they possess.  Think big, be big!

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="794859" timestamp="1272292142"]
This article says the expected capacity will be 15,300 per information on LU's website.  I looked on there and could not find anything about the stadium.  I remember reading on this board that the capacity would be 16,000.  I know that the capacity was listed as 17,500 back in the old days.  It just keeps getting smaller and smaller.  Will be lucky to be 10,000 by the time it is completed!  I wish we could just get the straight facts from LU with all the architectural drawings and all the statistics of the stadium.  Those drawings splashed all over the place would probably help season ticket sales.  That said, you gotta love the thinking of Tubbs and Simmons.  I applaud the big time thinking that they possess.  Think big, be big!
[/quote]

They had to update some of the ramps and handicap seating- different regulations than 20 years ago. That's why the seating is cut down some.

[quote name="mffl" post="794869" timestamp="1272295279"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=69067.msg794859#msg794859 date=1272292142]
[/quote]

They had to update some of the ramps and handicap seating- different regulations than 20 years ago. That's why the seating is cut down some.
[/quote]

So what is the official capacity and where can I see that in print?

Guest coachacola
[quote]How many seats are available for purchase in provost umphrey stadium?  There will be approximately 15,300 seats in Provost Umphrey Stadium. [/quote]

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/tickets/footbl-s-tickets-faq.html

I'm not sure if that means capacity is 15,300 or that's how many seats are available to season ticket holders and doesn't count the seats for bands, students, etc.  I'm guessing capacity is around 16K, plus the new suites (if they are actually building them), plus SRO in the south end zone area.

It's going to be like a brand new stadium.  And probably within 5 years when they move to FBS they'll expand the stadium to 30K+.

[quote name="coachacola" post="794919" timestamp="1272302155"]
[quote]How many seats are available for purchase in provost umphrey stadium?  There will be approximately 15,300 seats in Provost Umphrey Stadium. [/quote]

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/tickets/footbl-s-tickets-faq.html

I'm not sure if that means capacity is 15,300 or that's how many seats are available to season ticket holders and doesn't count the seats for bands, students, etc.  I'm guessing capacity is around 16K, plus the new suites (if they are actually building them), plus SRO in the south end zone area.

It's going to be like a brand new stadium.  And probably within 5 years when they move to FBS they'll expand the stadium to 30K+.
[/quote]
I hope that we have to expand after the second season, but I am an optimist!

Guest coachacola
I noticed that Terror's post disappeared soon after he posted it.  I don't know if he deleted it or the moderator. 

The Katfans board likes to trash both Lamar and Texas State, probably because SHSU isn't located in a metro area which will make it hard for them to draw enough fans to go FBS.

[quote name="coachacola" post="795409" timestamp="1272399054"]
I noticed that Terror's post disappeared soon after he posted it.  I don't know if he deleted it or the moderator. 

The Katfans board likes to trash both Lamar and Texas State, probably because SHSU isn't located in a metro area which will make it hard for them to draw enough fans to go FBS.
[/quote]

I didn't see it.  Can anyone paraphrase what he said?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="795432" timestamp="1272403569"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=69067.msg795409#msg795409 date=1272399054]
I noticed that Terror's post disappeared soon after he posted it.  I don't know if he deleted it or the moderator.  

[/quote]

I didn't see it.  Can anyone paraphrase what he said?
[/quote]

What I remember of it really wasn't that bad of a post.  He said the newspaper headline was misleading because a lot of FCS schools schedule a FBS game a year.  I forget what else he said.

Why was Terror banned from this board?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="TexasTerror" post="795821" timestamp="1272542251"]
Back from my ban.

Let me be clear that all I said was the headline was misleading since all FCS schools play FBS, just about. The guarantees have nothing to do with an FBS attempt and that we now know that Billy Tubbs has intentions on moving to FBS, which is always nice to know, instead of speculating...
[/quote]

Welcome back.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43