Gonzales named 2010 Male Athlete of the Year

Gonzales named 2010 Male Athlete of the Year

Van Wade Orange Leader

ORANGE — When Little Cypress-Mauriceville’s Hunter Gonzales gets off the bus, he certainly has his “game face on.”

It doesn’t matter wheter it’s the football, basketball or baseball bus, opposing foes know that they will have their hands full with one full-board, athletic Battlin’ Bear.

Gonzales, who was such a standout leader in all three sports, is the 2010 Orange Leader Male Athlete of the Year. He is the first LC-M male to receive the honor since 1996 when football and baseball standout Charlie Nichols shared it with West Orange-Stark’s Eric Anderson.

Gonzales, he’s one of those players that never gets any rest but he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Gonzales, the proud son of Rocky and Sherri Gonzales, was thrown into the fire in all three varsity sports as a sophomore and excelled and during the 2009-2010 campaign, he improved at all three venues, earning All-District honors in all three sports.

After getting his “feet wet” playing quarterback in a grueling 2008 campaign in which the young Bears went winless, Gonzales soared in first-year head coach Randy Crouch’s spread offense in 2009.

Gonzales completed 150-of-272 passes for 1,686 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also rushed for 383 yards and 11 TDs as the Bears improved to 4-6 on the year.

“There was a big difference between my sophomore and junior years,” said Gonzales. “We basically ran Wing-T our sophomore year and Coach Crouch came in and opened things up. Our offense is a great system to be in. It didn’t take us long to soak it in. It seemed like week by week, we were getting better and better.”

Gonzales earned All-District 20-4A honors and was The Leader’s Offensive MVP. He liked what he saw in the Bears throughout the 2009 campaign.

“The big difference was chemistry last year,” said Gonzales. “Everyone was on the same page and Coach (Crouch) and the staff deserve a lot of credit for that. With Coach Crouch, we picked up some of that West Orange-Stark intensity. Workouts became much tougher and we got tougher.”

The Bears will look to move up the ladder in the 20-4A standings with a host of talent returning, including top-notch receivers Zack Sonnier (74-922-11) and Preston Armstrong (15-154), who Gonzales has teamed up with ever since their Mauriceville Junior High days.

“Offensively, I think we’re going to grow even more,” said Gonzales, who will play with his Bear teammates at the State 7-on-7 Tournament, which they qualified for two weeks ago. “Everyone is working hard this summer. If we stay together and continue to strive for the same goals, we really can make some noise this year. There are areas we need to improve in and we’ll work hard to get better. We’ve got a lot of guys that will be three-year starters so I really think we can make a strong push.”

Gonzales has little room to breathe after the last snap on the gridiron. He just switches to the hardwood for LC-M hoop coach Darin Harley.

Gonzales has nearly filled every position for the Bears with the exception of center and could probably do that as well.

Just like on the football field, Gonzales is basically “the general” on the basketball court. When situations get tight, “Gonzo” usually has the ball in his hands.

He helped lead the Bears to a 20-win season last year as LC-M barely missed the playoffs, falling just short to Livingston in a play-in game.

Averaging more than 15 points a game as a sophomore, Gonzales was All-District and was The Leader’s Newcomer of the Year. He upped the ante as a junior, leading the Bears at 17.1 points a game to go along with five rebounds, three assists and two steals. He was once again All-District and was The Leader’s Offensive MVP. He also earned Class 4A Region III All-Region honors.

“Football and baseball have always come pretty easy for me, it was basketball that I always had to work hard at,” said Gonzales. “I just try to go out there and get things going and get my teammates involved. I’m always trying to improve on my shot so it can open up the lane more.”

Harley certainly keeps the Bears in tip-top shape.

“There is a lot of difference between football shape and basketball shape and Coach Harley will get you back in basketball shape really quick,” said Gonzales. “We are a little undersized, compared to other teams in the district but we played so well because we were in great shape. Next year, we really have a good shot at the playoffs because we have so many players back. Expereince should pay off for us.”

On the baseball diamond, Gonzales played fulltime for the first time as a junior, playing a key cog in long-time coach Steve Griffith and the Bears reaching the postseason yet again.

Gonzales, who made All-District, improved at the plate, which allowed him a lot more playing time. He also proved to be arguably the best defensive centerfielder in District 20-4A.

LC-M assistant coach Wayne Stepenson said Gonzales is the best defensive centerfielder he’s seen the Bears have and also said that he he actually won three games just with his defensive prowess.

“Baseball is the first sport I competed in and I just love to play the game,” said Gonzales. “I kinda grew up playing shortstop but moved to center in high school. I was glad I was able to contribute more at the plate this year. In our district, you’re going to see tough pitching every week.”

Gonzales hit .301 and had an on-base percentage of .453.

Last season Coach Griffith had one of his more younger Bear units. All they did was go 10-4 in a rugged 20-4A to make the postseason.

“We were young team and nobody gave us much of a chance,” said Gonzales. “I think we enjoyed flying under the radar a little because we knew we had a lot of talent. Coach Griffith, he always finds a way to pull everyone together and to play as a team. We’re looking for another big season next year.”

Gonzales is definitely a Bear through and through.

His father Rocky was a standout footballer at LC-M and went on to play college ball at McNeese. Mom Sherri was a multi-sport athlete in Bear Country as well.

“My Dad, he never has been the type to just push me and push me as far as playing all the sports,” said Gonzales. “He’s the type that wants me to do what I want to do that makes me happy. We’ve spent so many days tossing the football around in the yard or playing catch with the baseball. I always had a great childhood. My Mom, she’s the best. She loves sports just as much and I can’t count all the trips she’s made back and forth to practices here and there. I’ve been blessed with great parents.”

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="814079" timestamp="1277221217"]
A well deservng athelte. He sounds like a great kid also when he honors his parents like he did. Good luck Hunter.
[/quote]

I agree, he sounds like a humble young man. Congrats. Never knew that was Rocky's son. Must have got his ability from his mom. ;D ;D

[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="814079" timestamp="1277221217"]
A well deservng athelte. He sounds like a great kid also when he honors his parents like he did. Good luck Hunter.
[/quote]

No doubt. Sounds like a very good level-headed kid. Sounds like someone headed for success in life. Congrats on the award.
Great article.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Tiff
    Newest Member
    Tiff