Kiss basketball goodbye in HF!!!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="816262" timestamp="1278368240"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70692.msg816261#msg816261 date=1278368125]
Question, is Silsbee considered a successful basketball program? I know that we have no state titles, but are we considered a successful basketball program?

Just curious.
[/quote]

Of course, not, because Silsbee does use a universal offseason program right, AAW?  So by definition they cannot be successful.
[/quote]

;) :-X

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="816262" timestamp="1278368240"]
Question, is Silsbee considered a successful basketball program? I know that we have no state titles, but are we considered a successful basketball program?

Just curious.
[/quote]

Of course, not, because Silsbee does use a universal offseason program right, AAW?  So by definition they cannot be successful.
[/quote]Silsbee basketball program as good or better than any. My guess it has a lot more to do with number of players avaiable than it does with universal off season.  There are those who would suggest that, under the right circumstances, they would hold two state titles in the last four years

[quote name="stevenash" post="816269" timestamp="1278371751"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=70692.msg816262#msg816262 date=1278368240]

Just curious.
[/quote]

[/quote]Silsbee basketball program as good or better than any. My guess it has a lot more to do with number of players avaiable than it does with universal off season.  There are those who would suggest that, [b]under the right circumstances[/b], they would hold two state titles in the last four years
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that because of universal, Silsbee does not have those two titles in the last 4 years?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816270" timestamp="1278372125"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816269#msg816269 date=1278371751]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=70692.msg816262#msg816262 date=1278368240]

Just curious.
[/quote]

[/quote]Silsbee basketball program as good or better than any. My guess it has a lot more to do with number of players avaiable than it does with universal off season.  There are those who would suggest that, [b]under the right circumstances[/b], they would hold two state titles in the last four years
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that because of universal, Silsbee does not have those two titles in the last 4 years?
[/quote]

I am!!!

Was the question, "If Silsbee did not have the universal off-season, would they have 2 state championships right now"? If so, I would say yes!!! Sorry, but they are quick and athletic enough, if they would have been more skilled they would most likely have 2 right now!!! Universal off-season, as I have already stated is not the answer. Silsbee was good enough, in the eyes of a few!! Just didnt reach their potential, but got that tired pulled across the field.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="stevenash" post="815199" timestamp="1277826003"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=70692.msg815198#msg815198 date=1277825630]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=70692.msg815116#msg815116 date=1277775109]

Man you guys must not have to work .
[/quote]

I have just completed eleven 12 hr. shifts in a row, and went to SETXSports for a bit of diversion on my first day off. Now THIS stupidity...   
[/quote]

Hmmm- This stupidity seems to be something in which you are a willing participant.  People who live in glass houses should not throw stones?
[/quote]

Huh? I am not the one who "threw the stone" of accusing others of not working. Geeze, man, think! 

[quote name="team first" post="816276" timestamp="1278374974"]
Was the question, "If Silsbee did not have the universal off-season, would they have 2 state championships right now"? If so, I would say yes!!! Sorry, but they are quick and athletic enough, if they would have been more skilled they would most likely have 2 right now!!! Universal off-season, as I have already stated is not the answer. Silsbee was good enough, in the eyes of a few!! Just didnt reach their potential, but got that tired pulled across the field.
[/quote]

Hmmm- Interesting

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816282" timestamp="1278376169"]
Well, guess what guys, Silsbee does not use the universal. ;)
[/quote]

No wonder they are so successful.  By the way,  a couple of my posts have been deleted.  You or WOS grad wouldnt know anything about that would you?

[quote name="stevenash" post="816283" timestamp="1278376326"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70692.msg816282#msg816282 date=1278376169]
[/quote]

[b]No wonder they are so successful[/b].  By the way,  a couple of my posts have been deleted.  You or WOS grad wouldnt know anything about that would you?
[/quote]

I thought that was why they didn't win two state titles? Which is it? ::)

As for the deleting of posts, I have only deleted one post/thread today. The starting of that thread was unnecessary. I made it very clear in a prior post in this thread that I was against the universal, but that I wasn't going to condemn any school for using it. You should have bothered to read before including me into your argument.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816285" timestamp="1278376837"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816283#msg816283 date=1278376326]
[/quote]

[b]No wonder they are so successful[/b].  By the way,  a couple of my posts have been deleted.  You or WOS grad wouldnt know anything about that would you?
[/quote]

As for the deleting of posts, I have only deleted one post/thread today. The starting of that thread was unnecessary. I made it very clear in a prior post in this thread that I was against the universal, but that I wasn't going to condemn any school for using it. You should have bothered to read before including me into your argument.
[/quote]  You will have to ask the OTHER TWO individuals who thought that Silsbee used UOS and would have  won it all if they hadnt.  Speaking of "which is it"- YOu first implied they used universal off season and then said they didnt-  Doesnt the "whicih is it" apply to you as well?

[quote name="stevenash" post="816286" timestamp="1278377150"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70692.msg816285#msg816285 date=1278376837]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816283#msg816283 date=1278376326]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]  You will have to ask the OTHER TWO individuals who thought that Silsbee used UOS and would have  won it all if they hadnt.  Speaking of "which is it"- YOu first implied they used universal off season and then said they didnt-  Doesnt the "whicih is it" apply to you as well?
[/quote]  I have read every one of the posts and believe I understand all of them pretty well.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="816259" timestamp="1278367277"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816246#msg816246 date=1278364773]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=70692.msg816237#msg816237 date=1278362295]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816235#msg816235 date=1278361608]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=70692.msg816220#msg816220 date=1278358624]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg816212#msg816212 date=1278357010]
Excuse me, now I think I understand you.  Let me see if I have it right.  The reason that a basketball program is better served with Universal Off Season than a basketball coach supervising and determining how and when to lift is-
[/quote]

In Hamshire, yes that is the case.

Oh, and in answer to your question (because far be it from me to want to incur your wrath for not answering one of your questions)-too many make the playoffs for my blood. I think they had it right when 2 went from each district.  But. be that as it may, for most schools a playoff berth is still a measure of success.  And in fact, the failure to make the playoffs given the number of opportunities is an extreme failure.

Now my turn for a question.  Why do you continue to have your fundamental opposition to Universal Offseason Programs in general cause you to believe that Coach Price's C&S program, which you do not know what it will entail, will doom the boy basketball program at Hamshire-Fannett?
[/quote]  In case you are unaware, I DID NOT start this thread but happen to believe in the theory that Universal Off Season is counterproductive when it comes to basketball.  It has nothing to do with coach price (as previously noted).  You will never convince me that a basketball coach is less qualified than the football coach to determine when and where weight training should take place for basketball players.  AS I said in an earlier post, when it comes down to the last few seconds of a playoff game and my player has the ball, the only thing that interests me is whether or not he can make the shot.  If the skill isnt there, bigger, stronger, faster all become irrelevant.  PLease convince me I am wrong about this.  And while you are in the convincing "mode", convince me that a majority of consistently good basketball programs uses Universal Off Season for the basketball team.
[/quote]

I have long since endeavoring to convince you of anything, nash.  I would like you to ask the basketball minds, since you have evidently picked their brain as to whether they believe basketball skill is the end all be all as you have seemed to have intimated in your last post and that all other matters as you put it are "irrelevant."  And Really, I don't know enough about who does what as far as weight training to be able to answer your question as to who is successful with it or who is not.
[/quote]  I do know that the great majority of highly successful basketball programs do not employ Universal Off Season because, like it or not, it does not benefit the basketball players like it does  the  football players.  I tried another analogy earlier but apparently someone deleted it.  Go back a few years when HJ had Ryan Donahoe and WOS had UT Signee and Seattle Seahawk Earl Thomas.Each time they played each other,  I think everyone knows who was bigger, stronger, and faster.(and it certainly benefitted Earl a lot)  I also think everyone knows who was the better basketball player.
[/quote]

Well, your analogy fails for this topic because it fails to account for an element that you pointed out, that being that Ryan was simply a more talented player than Earl.  What does that have to do with their preparation and whether a "universal" offseason program helps?  I'd submit to you that without Earl being as fast and strong as he was, he would have had no shot against Ryan.  

Be that as it may, in this case, H-F has no Ryan Donahoes that we know of.  So why not let Coach Price implement a program that may improve them physically while they work on their respective basketball games?
[/quote]The "failed analogy" was simply an example of Ryan developing his abilities over the years in the gym.  He was NOT born with an advantage.  It was developed and the development was a skills based development,.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816290" timestamp="1278378131"]
Where did I imply that Silsbee used universal?

I asked if folks considered Silsbee a successful basketball program in spite of not having a state title.

[/quote]
SInce you are very dedicated to staying on topic, then, what made you interject that comment in the middle of a discussion on the advantages/drawbacks of Universal Off Season?  I know, I know, it was just a coincidence because you were "suddenly" moved to make that inquiry about the Silsbee basketball program and did not want to start a new thread to find out.  The smiley faces after WOS grad also interpreted your inference as that Silsbee used the program was also strictly coincidental.  There certainly was no bait thrown out in that thread now, was there?  It was obviously my mistake.  But, it wont be the first time I was wrong.  I had to rethink things after OJ said he didnt do it and BIll Clinton said he did not have sex with that woman.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816305" timestamp="1278380590"]
The king of baiters would know when bait has been thrown. ;) ::)

Could it be that I asked the question about Silsbee in reference to Silsbee not using universal?

Grad understood my " ;) :-X".

Glad you realized your mistake. That's a first.
[/quote]  It is very cleansing.  If you ever try it, you  will know exactly what I mean.  Hmm- looks like a tacit admission of bait throwing.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816308" timestamp="1278380941"]
I admit to my mistakes daily. Just ask my wife. ;D

Hopefully your initial "cleansing" will benefit you.
[/quote]

Darn- I misunderstood you again.  After all, you had "declared" that to be my first admission.  But of course, little ole me thought you meant it regarding statements on this board only.  But now you say that it also includes our domestic lives as well.  But I guess that rank has its privileges.  Guess I will just have to keep plugging away.  I was flattered though that you inferred I was the king of baitors and the flattery was accompanied by your admission that I know baiting when I see it.  Now I can rest comfortably in knowing I may have been wrong about OJ and Clinton, but not about the bait.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816316" timestamp="1278382244"]
Glad I could be of assistance. My good deed for the day.
[/quote]

I guess you are experiencing that cleansing right now albeit indirectly via the veiled baiting admission.  That truly was a fine deed.  Two cleansings in one thread is an amazing accomplishment.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="816320" timestamp="1278383571"]
Your "cleansing" is inspirational, but I am just feeling good about my charitable work for the day.

You're welcome.
[/quote]

To think that a commoner could be inspirational to a moderator is beyond my wildest dreams

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4