17-4A vs 18-4A....Who's better?

?

I would say we have this one in the bag.  If we go top 4, we have it easily.  I think any of our top 3, (Brenham, Montgomery or Stratford) would beat the best team from 18-4A.  The game in the four spot would be pretty even.  Top to bottom, were not too impressive, because Spring Woods and Northbrook are horrible.  That's only 2 teams though, and considering 18-4A has 2 first year programs in it, plus Caney Creek...i'd say we have the edge there too.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="818069" timestamp="1279121914"]
?

I would say we have this one in the bag.  If we go top 4, we have it easily.  I think any of our top 3, (Brenham, Montgomery or Stratford) would beat the best team from 18-4A.  The game in the four spot would be pretty even.  Top to bottom, were not too impressive, because Spring Woods and Northbrook are horrible.  That's only 2 teams though, and considering 18-4A has 2 first year programs in it, plus Caney Creek...i'd say we have the edge there too.
[/quote]

I don't think Montgomery or Stratford will/would beat Humble.  Humble and Brenham would be a pretty good game, and considering their are still some questions i have regarding the Humble offense, right now id say Brenham was maybe 7-10pts better. 

I realize that Humble is going to have to prove that the 3-7 year was a fluke, and it will take time before Humble is realized for what it is...A contender.

Reasons why i think Humble would beat Montgomery or Startford.

Montgomery- Their key player is their offense.  Dobbs would be shut down by our defensive scheme that is geared to stop the running attack.  Humble has a fairly good reputation in stopping teams that feature All-American types....  Most recently, Russel Sheppard...who we held to 30+ yards on 17 attempts.

Startford- Their biggest asset will be their offensive line size up front, most schools will be overwhelmed in the trenches.  Humble features one of the states largest most athletic Defensive lines  that averages 6'3 and an average weight of 241.  On top of it, we have better athletes at every spot on the field....and that plays into affect for them who have historically struggled against your more athletically inclined teams.

Brenham presents more of a problem, because they do have good athletes aross the field.  As well as being fairly balanced offensively, which is where we have traditionally struggled.  If we can score, we should be ok....But given that we are breaking in a new QB only time will tell how good we can actually be.

I would put y'all about where Stratford is.  Other than Aledo, (which has the best hs player i've ever watched) and Montgomery, we can shut down the run too.

We beat Montgomery 14-7, but our first td we returned 70+ yards by a DE, cuz of a bad pitch on an option play.  Early in the 4th quarter, Dobbins broke lose for a 80+ yard td, but it was called back for a hold.  Dobbins still had 232 yards, but they didn't complete a pass all night.  Against Huntsville they had 4 downs to punch it in from the 2, with right over a minute to play and couldn't do it.  Also against Crosby, it came down to the end.  All 3 of their losses, were by one play,  so they could have easily went undefeated, or atleast a little further in the playoffs.  Their QB is also the coach's son and threw 12 TD's and only 1 int (to us) last year.  They also had the second best defense in the district, behind ours.  They are very underrated, as is Dobbins.    

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="818084" timestamp="1279126266"]
I would put y'all about where Stratford is.  Other than Aledo, (which has the best hs player i've ever watched) and Montgomery, we can shut down the run too.

We beat Montgomery 14-7, but our first td we returned 70+ yards by a DE, cuz of a bad pitch on an option play.  Early in the 4th quarter, Dobbins broke lose for a 80+ yard td, but it was called back for a hold.  Dobbins still had 232 yards, but they didn't complete a pass all night.  Against Huntsville they had 4 downs to punch it in from the 2, with right over a minute to play and couldn't do it.  Also against Crosby, it came down to the end.  All 3 of their losses, were by one play,  so they could have easily went undefeated, or atleast a little further in the playoffs.  Their QB is also the coach's son and threw 12 TD's and only 1 int (to us) last year.  They also had the second best defense in the district, behind ours.  They are very underrated, as is Dobbins.    
[/quote]

Fair enough, I can live with that being a starting point.  Although I am of the opinion that we will be one of the top teams in the state this year…however that may just be wishful thinking.
As far as defense goes, it helps when you have a lot of solid skill players.  I wouldn’t go as far to say that Montgomery is overrated due to them being ranked within the regional top 10 by VYPE, and in the top 50 by FNF.  Plenty of people view them as a great team.  I would say however that dobbins is underrated.  I have him as one of the top backs in his class, he reminds me of Shane Turner from Cy-Falls a couple of years ago.  Montgomery seems to struggle with athletism…you gave me some examples of teams that have good to above average athletes across the board, and those are the teams that posed the most trouble.  This tells me a couple of things, their coaching is sub-par…and their players don’t execute well across the board.
As for Humble, I believe that it will be a tall order for any team to score on us simply given that we are running a scheme that really fits well against what some of your top 4a teams have been doing.

Touché.  I'm interested in seeing how all of the former 5A teams do in 4A.  If things play out they way they should, y'all will be playing Montgomery or Stratford in the first round of the playoffs.  That being said, I was going to see if you wanted to join me for the Brenham vs Stratford game Thursday, November 4th at Tully stadium?  That is, if it turns out y'all are lined up to play them at the end of the season, and you're interested in going.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="818108" timestamp="1279131933"]
Touché.  I'm interested in seeing how all of the former 5A teams do in 4A.  If things play out they way they should, y'all will be playing Montgomery or Stratford in the first round of the playoffs.  That being said, I was going to see if you wanted to join me for the Brenham vs Stratford game Thursday, November 4th at Tully stadium?  That is, if it turns out y'all are lined up to play them at the end of the season, and you're interested in going.
[/quote]

Was planning to head that direction anyway, i am interested in seeing how Startford will do that game.  what time is the game?

[quote name="HUM398" post="818115" timestamp="1279133031"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=71002.msg818113#msg818113 date=1279132686]
It's at 7:00
[/quote]

I will most definetly be there. 

Be interesting to see DT Brown matched up against their Hogs.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, the rest of our defense is based on speed.  Tim Cole(LB), Troy Green(HB, LB), Rodney Hubert(CB) and Desmon Mathis(LB).

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92