Brenham SS Drake Roberts has been selected to play in the ESPN Area Code Games.

He has been selected to play for the Chicago White Sox in the Area Code Games in Long Beach, California.  This tournament showcase some of the best talent in the nation.  Players must be recommended by a pro scout and then try out and be selected to participate.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/08/04/sports/sports02.txt

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="822961" timestamp="1280955420"]
He has been selected to play for the Chicago White Sox in the Area Code Games in Long Beach, California.  This tournament showcase some of the best talent in the nation.  Players must be recommended by a pro scout and then try out and be selected to participate.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/08/04/sports/sports02.txt
[/quote]He was at the Texas Rangers area code  with my son...He must not have made the final cut in Texas. I am almost 100% sure that is the team ( Chicago ) the kids from Texas area code play..But I did hear the same thing you posted.

I'm not real sure how or why, but it did say white sox.  He's one of the better fielding players Brenham's ever had and is a really good lead off hitter with surprising power.  (second or third on team in HR's, also led in stolen bases) Only weakness that I've noticed, is at times, he tries too hard to make a play and might throw the ball away.

Guest GCMPats
The White Sox team is mostly players from the Oklahoma area. He did not make the Texas team.
Roberts has been an Arkansas verbal since he was a sophomore.
I've seen him twice and I am still not sure of all the hype.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="823073" timestamp="1281011160"]
The White Sox team is mostly players from the Oklahoma area. He did not make the Texas team.
[/quote]Looks like a pretty good short stop..... I have watched him when they played us in the play offs and at area code..He does get some hype, I wonder why Arkansas?

[quote name="BaseBow" post="823091" timestamp="1281017626"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=71411.msg823073#msg823073 date=1281011160]
[/quote]Looks like a pretty good short stop..... I have watched him when they played us in the play offs and at area code..He does get some hype, I wonder why Arkansas?
[/quote]

My sister used to date him, so I somewhat know him.  He's always liked Arkansas and said he was gonna play there for as long as I can remember.  When he does good, it's usually great, but when he struggles, he struggles bad.  A little more consistancy and another year at the varsity level should help him out alot.  He's a good kid and his dad is really tough on him.  J/w why Chance Bolerek isnt in it?  Now he is a star.

Roberts was one of few if any freshman invited two years ago. Looking at my old notes, he did pretty well there. Sophomore year missed the tryouts due to making USA 32 man roster in Cary.(hype?) Last year the Sox asked him to go, but protocol states HE MUST BE DECLINED A SPOT IN HIS ORIGIN REGION. Well, that wasn't good. This year the Sox once again asked him to go there, also (some ARKANSAS commits are White Sox). The rules state he HAD to attend a Texas tryout, he did. I do not think there was any intention for him to try and play for the Rangers OR the Rangers were going to take him after all the drama. My two cents.  
   On his game, needs to shorten throwing stroke from SS, trys to gun everything. College or minors will give him proper arm action. Has a cannon.
    Hype? All hype is just hype, it is words, paper, polls, popularity, etc, etc. Facts are he is a SEC player to be, and I know he had offers everywhere. Recruiters giving big scholarships and MLB area scouts define who is worthy.
    Do not want to make any  negative comment about any player, just remember wood bats, speed and arm are much different than high school ball at these levels during the summer. Many great high school hitters struggle with wood and 90 plus , different game.
    Not at Long Beach this week, but am following it, at the Connie Mack. Had Bundy, Bradley, and Howard stayed with the White Sox (3 of top ten pitchers) ranked this year, the Sox would go undedeated.These boys are out of eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas.Instead they have carried their team to the CM
World Series here in New Mexico. Good luck to all, enjoy the last days of summer.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="dirtball" post="823703" timestamp="1281239144"]
   Roberts was one of few if any freshman invited two years ago. Looking at my old notes, he did pretty well there. Sophomore year missed the tryouts due to making USA 32 man roster in Cary.(hype?) Last year the Sox asked him to go, but protocol states HE MUST BE DECLINED A SPOT IN HIS ORIGIN REGION. Well, that wasn't good. This year the Sox once again asked him to go there, also (some ARKANSAS commits are White Sox). The rules state he HAD to attend a Texas tryout, he did. I do not think there was any intention for him to try and play for the Rangers OR the Rangers were going to take him after all the drama. My two cents.  
   On his game, needs to shorten throwing stroke from SS, trys to gun everything. College or minors will give him proper arm action. Has a cannon.
    Hype? All hype is just hype, it is words, paper, polls, popularity, etc, etc. Facts are he is a SEC player to be, and I know he had offers everywhere. Recruiters giving big scholarships and MLB area scouts define who is worthy.
    Do not want to make any  negative comment about any player, just remember wood bats, speed and arm are much different than high school ball at these levels during the summer. Many great high school hitters struggle with wood and 90 plus , different game.
    Not at Long Beach this week, but am following it, at the Connie Mack. Had Bundy, Bradley, and Howard stayed with the White Sox (3 of top ten pitchers) ranked this year, the Sox would go undedeated.These boys are out of eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas.Instead they have carried their team to the CM
World Series here in New Mexico. Good luck to all, enjoy the last days of summer.
[/quote]

Followed the Area Code blogs last week and did not see Drake mentioned. Did he play?

Don't know about blogs, all the details I have been following are on AREA CODE BASEBALL site or ESPN RISE and phone calls to scouts in attendance.
      The White Sox just won the event, beating the last place Texas Rangers 9-1. As far as Roberts got some great reports early on him, as well as quite a few on their roster. As you know, pitching dominates there, but there were some notable hitting perfomances.
      Roberts played 2nd base and could possibly end up there with his size. All the details stat wise are on that site, should answer at least most questions. Unfortunately, broken bat hits, balls squared up but ended being outs, pitchers who threw corners and and secondary stiuff, and great defensive composition, things scouts look at , won't be in there.
      Any more high school summer ball still going on in Houston?

Jupiter is always such a spectacle, unlike AC or TOS, it is on so many fields you cannot be everywhere at once. Hard to follow, just like last month's wood bat in Marietta.
    I assume that most of your boys play Sundevils, Heat, Marucci, Angels, etc. all great programs. Maybe some Bandito's.  I followed those Bandito/Prospect 16, they have a few draft chices sitting on that one, maybe one of the tops in Nick Williams, (Galveston).  Hinnosa, Dean and Geisler are all (Texas) sophomore commits out of Klein Collins. Speaking of the Wood Bat tournament, Mason Robbins (Southern Miss) and Roberts (Arkansas) were two of top hitters overall.They both enriched their stock there.
    Big buzz on Charles Tilson on White Sox at AC. He REALLY improved his draft status, committed to ( ILLINOIS ?) power plus and 6.4 /60 according to reports. That kid should go be going to a SEC school, if he goes at all.

[quote author=dirtball link=topic=71411.msg824423#msg824423 date=1281479492]
     Don't know about blogs, all the details I have been following are on AREA CODE BASEBALL site or ESPN RISE and phone calls to scouts in attendance.
      The White Sox just won the event, beating the last place Texas Rangers 9-1. As far as Roberts got some great reports early on him, as well as quite a few on their roster. As you know, pitching dominates there, but there were some notable hitting perfomances.
       Roberts played 2nd base and could possibly end up there with his size. All the details stat wise are on that site, should answer at least most questions. Unfortunately, broken bat hits, balls squared up but ended being outs, pitchers who threw corners and and secondary stiuff, and great defensive composition, things scouts look at , won't be in there.
      Any more high school summer ball still going on in Houston?

Most of the summer ball is winding down. Karl Young Collegiate league has finished. The older Heat teams are done. Sun Devils summer has ended. Mine is on a plane this morning, headed for home after 2 1/2 months in the Northwoods league....which has 8-10 games left and then league playoffs.  School is just around the corner.

Congrats!!! Hope he is having a great experience up there, (some long bus rides) but he probably is enjoying every minute. I know you will be glad to see him before he heads back to school. What school ?
    Starting to see draft lists appearing for 2011, looks like college will dominate at least the top few picks with Purke , Rendon, hosting the one and two spot, ulike the Harper, Taillon of this year.
    Texas is well represented on both sides college and prep. Prep names that seem common on projected lists are:
    Matt Dean 3b
    Trevor Story of
    Daniel Mengden p/c
    Brian Brickhouse p
    Chris McFarland inf/of
    Wayne Taylor c
    Drake Roberts mif 
    Ricardo Juaquez p
    C J McElroy of
            This list is not in any particular order,and will add more names as they continue to surface. I think overall the 2011 pitching could be a more prominent than this years. Fun to watch this years during their final few days of negotiation. The clubs have been holding the line this tear, economy and fear of the slot system dropping from round 5 to round 15 puts ownership in a keen postion.

[quote name="dirtball" post="824720" timestamp="1281571811"]
    Congrats!!! Hope he is having a great experience up there, (some long bus rides) but he probably is enjoying every minute. I know you will be glad to see him before he heads back to school. What school ?
     Starting to see draft lists appearing for 2011, looks like college will dominate at least the top few picks with Purke , Rendon, hosting the one and two spot, ulike the Harper, Taillon of this year.
     Texas is well represented on both sides college and prep. Prep names that seem common on projected lists are:
     Matt Dean 3b
     Trevor Story of
     Daniel Mengden p/c
     Brian Brickhouse p
     Chris McFarland inf/of
     Wayne Taylor c
     Drake Roberts mif 
     Ricardo Juaquez p
     C J McElroy of
            This list is not in any particular order,and will add more names as they continue to surface. I think overall the 2011 pitching could be a more prominent than this years. Fun to watch this years during their final few days of negotiation. The clubs have been holding the line this tear, economy and fear of the slot system dropping from round 5 to round 15 puts ownership in a keen postion.

[/quote]

Thanks....and you are right about long bus rides. He had a great experience and got to throw 49 innings against some very good competition. A whole new group of friends made and an incredible host family. I cannot say enough about how great these families are that host college players every summer all over the country. He's going to Univ. of Louisiana-Monroe....great 2nd year pitching coach in Lanz Wheeler.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham