Kyser still considering Lamar

Guest mffl

By this time Monday, Michale Kyser will be a prep-school student-athlete. His life of being a Division I college basketball player will be put on hold - at least temporarily.

Kyser, a 6-foot-9, 195-pound forward and recent Lancaster High School graduate, decided against attending Lamar University in the fall and chose to focus more on reshaping himself on the court and in the classroom with a year at Christian Life Center Academy in Humble, Texas. Kyser, who originally was expected to play at Lamar, will reclassify as a 2011 player and look to play Division I ball next fall.

Michale Kyser
"I enroll tomorrow," Kyser said late Sunday night. "I like the decision because academically, it gives me a chance to get stronger. It also gives me a chance to get physically stronger and mentally right."

Kyser was a major contributor for a Lancaster team that finished 35-3 and advanced to the finals of the UIL Class 4A state tournament. Lancaster lost to Houston Yates, which was later named a consensus mythical national champion. Kyser had 15 points (7-for-8 shooting), six rebounds and four dunks in the loss to Yates.

Despite being an A-B student in high school, Kyser is looking to improve on his SAT scores before heading to college. He's also hoping Christian Life coach Carlos Nelson will make him more of a physical specimen before entering college. Kyser said he currently has a trainer and is looking to gain 20 pounds of muscle.

"I like how Coach Carlos wants you to be physically built," Kyser said. "He cares about body and mindset. The whole teams has good body frame, and this will give me a chance to get bigger and work on my position."

Kyser will be at Christian Life with 2011 big man Chris Coleman, a 6-foot-10, 265-pounder who has committed to Florida International. Kyser, in addition, will be teammates on the prep squad with players such as Frisco High School graduate Quince Jackson and Fort Bend Dulles High School graduate Bryant Mbamalu.

Kyser, who played AAU ball for Dallas Showtyme Elite, will be following the footsteps of another Showtyme graduate. Javarez Willis played a year of prep school at Christian Life this past season, bypassing a shot to enter Texas Tech as a 2009 guard. Willis, nicknamed "Bean," will be at Tech this year and is expected to be one of the Big 12's top freshman contributors.

"Bean's really the one who got me and my mom in the mix of coming," Kyser said. "He wanted me to come for my senior year, but I decided to stay at Lancaster."

Kyser said his decision to play prep was a tough one, but he feels this is best for his future. He said he hasn't forgotten about Lamar, but he added he will keep his options open for 2011. Prior to committing to Lamar last October, he had schools such as Southern Arkansas and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi interested.

"Lamar has been with me since Day 1," he said. "They've always had my back, so I'll always consider them."

[quote name="westendfirst" post="827411" timestamp="1282249041"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=71693.msg826149#msg826149 date=1282001638]
Glad to see he is still considering Lamar.
[/quote]

If he wanted to come here he'd already be here.  I say we revoke the scholarship offer.
[/quote]

I agree revoke the offer. Roc dropped him months ago, he wasn't on the list when Roc released it. I think the kid had academic issues read the article if you read it the right way it's like he had to go to a Juco.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham