Remember TexasTerror dogging Lamar Fan's for talking about recruiting rankings

Well, check this out. I couldn't help but laugh.

SHSU Adds K-State Running Back, #31 in Nation
According to this newspaper out of Oklahoma, SHSU is adding a kid that was the #31 best athlete in the nation in 2008 per Rivals. Seems like he would have four years of eligibility remaining...

http://www.newsok.com/former-midwest...rticle/3485114

TIMOTHY FLANDERS, MIDWEST CITY, OKLA.

Rated the 31st-best athlete in the nation and the No. 9 player in the state of Oklahoma by Rivals... Rushed for 5,143 yards and 65 touchdowns throughout his high school career, including 2,153 yards and 34 touchdowns during his senior season... Also recorded 231 receiving yards with four touchdowns throughout his career... Rushed for 1,604 yards and 20 scores as a junior.
Simply put no player in Oklahoma has had a better senior season than Midwest City's latest superstar. Flanders has made his biggest impact as a running back but there is a lot of thought that his brightest future may be at safety. Flanders imposing frame and ferocious playing style lends itself well to the defensive side of the ball. Now that being said, Flanders' greatest asset is that he can play well and excel at both, so he is a player that will garner plenty of recruiting attention due to schools being able to recruit him and allow him to play himself into his position.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/foo...Flanders-68573
-The Terror-

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?71843-SHSU-Adds-K-State-Running-Back-31-in-Nation

Two things I remember was any talk about rivals was wrong and taking a lot of transfers was not good for the program. Plus, this young man's ranking is from 2008.

SHSU has added a lot of offensive transfers in the past few months and this isn't the only RB. They got one from La Tech.

Wonder what he would have posted if this was Lamar and a Cardinals fan posting the information about a young man or woman coming to Lamar?  ::)

Mentioned the Rivals rank, yet did not gloat about it nor make it seem like my program legitimately had a top 10 ranking by Rivals for recruiting class, let alone annually...  :P

Also, SHSU has added their share of transfers, but they are not building a program around them. Funny enough, most of the transfers that have come in have all four years of eligibility left after redshirting as a freshman at an FBS program.

I'm optimistic that 50% of our roster is not JUCOs and FBS transfers, like that in Beaumont. We may even have a younger team than the Cardinals! That wouldn't surprise me...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826507" timestamp="1282083457"]
Mentioned the Rivals rank, yet did not gloat about it nor make it seem like my program legitimately had a top 10 ranking by Rivals for recruiting class, let alone annually...  :P

Also, SHSU has added their share of transfers, but they are not building a program around them. Funny enough, most of the transfers that have come in have all four years of eligibility left after redshirting as a freshman at an FBS program.

I'm optimistic that 50% of our roster is not JUCOs and FBS transfers, like that in Beaumont. We may even have a younger team than the Cardinals! That wouldn't surprise me...
[/quote]

So you aren't going to build your team around a RB or QB?  ::)

I have no problem with a start up pragram bringing in JUCO and transfer players.  It is better than Having a team full of freshman getting their butts kicked week in and week out and killing the confidence.  

On the other hand [b]S[/b]econd [b]H[/b]and [b]S[/b]tate [b]U[/b]niversity brings in FBS QB's all the time it seems lately to get them into the playoffs but this is just a regular guy with an outside opinion on the situation

[quote name="Javelina" post="826520" timestamp="1282085623"]I have no problem with a start up pragram bringing in JUCO and transfer players.  It is better than Having a team full of freshman getting their butts kicked week in and week out and killing the confidence.[/quote]

That is why most programs build their way up into being ready for a conference. See every other FCS program that in the last 5-10 years that has played at least two years of football before playing in a conference...

Lamar is speeding the process up on many fronts. In five years, we can come back to see if it was the smartest move. With Billy Tubbs no longer associated with the program, wonder what changes we'll see...

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="826697" timestamp="1282133226"]Well I'm personally glad we aren't following Sam's method. They haven't even been that good in recent years. [/quote]

You are following Sam's methods...

Lamar hired SHSU's old head coach and the reason was that he would bring consistency to the offense from the previous OC that you hired...yep, you guys are implementing the offense that took our program south!

Prior to your OC's regime, we were in the Division I semifinals (2004) and had we beat Northwestern State in the regular season, we would have been hosting Montana for the second time that year (beat the then-No. 1 Grizzlies in Huntsville in September) in the semifinals instead of going to Missoula in the semifnials...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826699" timestamp="1282133888"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=71720.msg826697#msg826697 date=1282133226]Well I'm personally glad we aren't following Sam's method. They haven't even been that good in recent years. [/quote]

You are following Sam's methods...

Lamar hired SHSU's old head coach and the reason was that he would bring consistency to the offense from the previous OC that you hired...yep, you guys are implementing the offense that took our program south!

[b]Prior to your OC's regime, we were in the Division I semifinals (2004) and had we beat Northwestern State in the regular season, we would have been hosting Montana for the second time that year (beat the then-No. 1 Grizzlies in Huntsville in September) in the semifinals instead of going to Missoula in the semifnials...[/b]
[/quote]
And you did all that with a two year transfer at QB!!! Imagine that. ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="826702" timestamp="1282134612"]And you did all that with a two year transfer at QB!!! Imagine that. ;D[/quote]

A two-year transfer? Where did you and UNLV go to school? You guys use as many "fuzzy numbers" as George W. Bush! Dustin Long was only in Huntsville for a year.

[quote author=badndn link=topic=71720.msg826704#msg826704 date=1282134824]Also don't forget if you go out your first year and give scholarships to nothing but incoming freshman to fill your team, you are killing yourself in recruiting the next several years.[/quote]

There is a way to do it...

Didn't Woodard seek out advice from others? I think that's why he wanted a lot of JUCO/FBS guys, but I think he took it to the extreme! Of course, all Woodard knows is JUCO ball and I hope for your program's success, that the FB program is not going to become a lot like your MBB program...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826728" timestamp="1282138957"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=71720.msg826702#msg826702 date=1282134612]And you did all that with a two year transfer at QB!!! Imagine that. ;D[/quote]

A two-year transfer? Where did you and UNLV go to school? You guys use as many "fuzzy numbers" as George W. Bush! Dustin Long was only in Huntsville for a year.

[quote author=badndn link=topic=71720.msg826704#msg826704 date=1282134824]Also don't forget if you go out your first year and give scholarships to nothing but incoming freshman to fill your team, you are killing yourself in recruiting the next several years.[/quote]

There is a way to do it...

Didn't Woodard seek out advice from others? I think that's why he wanted a lot of JUCO/FBS guys, but I think he took it to the extreme! Of course, all Woodard knows is JUCO ball and I hope for your program's success, that the FB program is not going to become a lot like your MBB program...
[/quote]

Who are you kidding TT? "I hope for your program's sucess". C'mon, you know that you "hope that Lamar falls flat on their faces" with this program.

Terror, I wasn't referring to our OC. I was referring to your logic that it is stupid to have so many JUCO players. One good year in the past 6 is not a program I want to model my program around. I like our strategy in recruiting. You keep all your unproven freshmen coming and so will the losses. Mix in some JUCO players and its much less of a chance you miss on those prospects.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="826732" timestamp="1282139511"]Who are you kidding TT? "I hope for your program's sucess". C'mon, you know that you "hope that Lamar falls flat on their faces" with this program.[/quote]

AggiesAreWe - I want the SLC to have the optimal amount of postseason bids, especially since the playoffs is expanding. If Lamar goes 3-0 (or 4-0 in the years 12 games are allowed) in out of conference play, it only benefits the league. Do I want you guys to fall flat on your face in SLC play? Eh, don't matter much to me, as long as ALL the league schools are contributing to the GPI in out of conference!

[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=71720.msg826748#msg826748 date=1282142319]Terror, I wasn't referring to our OC. I was referring to your logic that it is stupid to have so many JUCO players. One good year in the past 6 is not a program I want to model my program around. I like our strategy in recruiting. You keep all your unproven freshmen coming and so will the losses. Mix in some JUCO players and its much less of a chance you miss on those prospects. [/quote]

It is fine to mix in JUCOs, but 50% of Lamar's scholarship players are FBS/FCS or JUCO transfers. Just seems like overkill. But hey, to each their own. I've stated my bit and we're going in circles. It is a waste of my typing and yours. Will be hard to prove for the next 3-5 years who is right, who is wrong.

And you guys keep harping on me for the negatives, but let's face reality and things we can prove...

1) the hiring of Woodard was not the "sexy hire" that you guys built the position up to be
2) entering the SLC in '11 is a year earlier than any of the new FCS upstart programs as far as entering conferences

Most of the other things you have done have been solid as far as start-up (though I disagree with the "you know what", but we're done arguing/debating the merits of that one)...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826763" timestamp="1282145034"]
Most of the other things you have done have been solid as far as start-up (though I disagree with the "you know what", but we're done arguing/debating the merits of that one)...
[/quote]

I hope the arguing is over because I am tired of reading the same thing over and over, lets wait till October 2nd and see who's method works better!!!

[quote name="Javelina" post="826780" timestamp="1282147567"]I hope the arguing is over because I am tired of reading the same thing over and over, lets wait till October 2nd and see who's method works better!!!
[/quote]

Oct. 2 won't be a good assessment either...

We're talking about long-term stability and growth of a program. If anything, SHSU could conceivably be YOUNGER than the Lamar program! Perhaps in four, five years - we'll see which first-year head coach did it right! The old Texas Terror assistant Woodard or the energetic, proven winner Fritz...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826728" timestamp="1282138957"]
all Woodard knows is JUCO ball and I hope for your program's success, that the FB program is not going to become a lot like your MBB program...
[/quote]

Woodard knows more than Juco Ball, are you forgetting or conveniently ignoring that he has played and coached at High levels in the Football world. He played top notch college ball at UT and then Top Notch NFL football for the Broncos. He had a uniform on in a Superbowl. I know he wasn't the coach but he was able to learn and observe from those people and see how a world class team is put together.

He coached in NFL Europe, although it's not the NFL it's still professional ball, there were very good players in that league that he was able to coach including a certain assistant named James Brown. He may not have tons of HC experience but he does have plenty of football experience.

Since in your opinion there is so little information to go by on Ray Woodard lets wait till 2 or 3 years down the road to pass judgement.

As for transfer players, don't you think it's a good idea to layer your loss of seniors? Woodard did a very intelligent thing by bringing in juniors and transfers at various stages. Not all of them will be here for 2 years and then leave. Some of the transfers have 3 years from either red shirting or because they are true sophomores. A few people only have one year with the team. This, again, will stagger our loss of talent and insure that we are able to obtain depth more quickly. This isn't the FBS, Juco and transfers are acceptable and welcome.

I count 37 players who are not freshmen of those 25 appear to be Juco about half listed as sophomores half listed as juniors. The rest are from either FBS or FCS schools varying from sophmores to seniors.

With over 80 players that is very good balance in my opinion.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="826806" timestamp="1282148342"]
[quote author=Javelina link=topic=71720.msg826780#msg826780 date=1282147567]I hope the arguing is over because I am tired of reading the same thing over and over, lets wait till October 2nd and see who's method works better!!!
[/quote]

Oct. 2 won't be a good assessment either...

We're talking about long-term stability and growth of a program. If anything, SHSU could conceivably be YOUNGER than the Lamar program! Perhaps in four, five years - we'll see which first-year head coach did it right! The old Texas Terror assistant Woodard or the energetic, proven winner Fritz...
[/quote]

Talent wins not age!!!!  They are playing a football game not trying to get a drivers license or get into a retirement home where age is a factor.  Don't make excuses for a potential loss a month and a half away

Another thing is just because Fritz has been successful at other schools doesn't mean he'll have the same success at SHSU. I don't have time to list all the coaches who have proven the fact.

A lot of times it is just being at the right place at the right time with the right people.

[quote name="CardAmbassador" post="826860" timestamp="1282152801"]Since in your opinion there is so little information to go by on Ray Woodard lets wait till 2 or 3 years down the road to pass judgement.[/QUOTE]

That's what I keep saying...

[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=71720.msg826860#msg826860 date=1282152801]I count 37 players who are not freshmen of those 25 appear to be Juco about half listed as sophomores half listed as juniors. The rest are from either FBS or FCS schools varying from sophmores to seniors. [/quote]

63 full scholarships (equivalency sport mind you) available...wonder how many scholarships the 37 (now 38 with Beard) account for? Either way, we'll have to wait and see...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43