What should or will the SLC do if UTSA and TxSt get an invite to WAC?

RS73

I would like for Lamar to be included with UTSA and TxST but that may not happen. So my question is,with the budget crisis in Louisiana and the possibility of losing 1 or more Louisiana schools, what would be the SLC options? The conference would be down to six or less schools. What D2 school could they invite or what conference could they merge with, etc? I do not like this scenario, but I think this is real possibility. What options does the SLC have or what do you think the SLC will do?

[quote name="RS73" post="834443" timestamp="1283116240"]
I would like for Lamar to be included with UTSA and TxST but that may not happen. So my question is,with the budget crisis in Louisiana and the possibility of losing 1 or more Louisiana schools, what would be the SLC options? The conference would be down to six or less schools. What D2 school could they invite or what conference could they merge with, etc? I do not like this scenario, but I think this is real possibility. What options does the SLC have or what do you think the SLC will do?
[/quote]

If the SLC loses UTSA and TXST its essentially a wash football wise in that UTSA has never fielded a football team anyway and TXST would basically be replaced by Lamar so at the end of the day the conference hasnt lost much.  Now if they start losing La schools due to budget issues I would say invite the likes of Tarlton State, Or TXAM Kingsville to join in, or they could consider telling UTA and AM-CC they have to field teams now if they want to stay in the Conference.

My bad! I was thinking there would be seven football playing schools left in the SLC if Txst and UTSA got an invite to the WAC. There would be eight teams left. Not the end of world, unless a couple of the Louisiana schools were to drop out. I just can't see Lamar staying in the conference, if the only options the SLC has, is to invite D2 schools. To me, Lamar's only option would be to try to get back in the Sun Belt when there is an opening.

Looks like the WAC is looking to expand after the 2011-2012 season which would give Lamar a little time to prepare for the move.  I still have no idea if Lamar is even interested, but if there's a eastern WAC division with the likes of UTSA, La Tech, NMSU, and Texas State then why not?

Link: [url=http://www.ksl.com/?sid=12250476&nid=858]WAC looking to expand following 2011-2012 season[/url]

[quote name="UNLV" post="836862" timestamp="1283441731"]
La Tech gets a home and home football with BYU in 11 and 12. Lamar could be doing the samet-err, no, that
would be thinking too big. SETX and Lamar couldn't measure up to Ruston, La. We should stay FCS for 5-10 years until
everything is perfect.   ::)
[/quote]

BYU coming into play LU in PU Stadium expanded to 30k is a no brainer.  It would be filled and be the biggest sporting event ever in the history of Beaumont.

[quote name="coachacola" post="836563" timestamp="1283378756"]
Looks like the WAC is looking to expand after the 2011-2012 season which would give Lamar a little time to prepare for the move.  I still have no idea if Lamar is even interested, but if there's a eastern WAC division with the likes of UTSA, La Tech, NMSU, and Texas State then why not?

Link: [url=http://www.ksl.com/?sid=12250476&nid=858]WAC looking to expand following 2011-2012 season[/url]
[/quote]From your article...."Among the criteria the committee will consider includes academics, attendance, budgets, location/transportation, market size, recent success and sports sponsorship."
Compared to other WAC schools, LU is in great shape..

academics   ;)
attendance   ;)
budgets  needs to be a bit higher, but  ;)
location/transportation   ;)
market size  400k,  ;)
recent success  womens bball, golf, mbball slc champs 2 years ago...  ;)
sports sponsorship.  ;)

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="836867" timestamp="1283441957"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72219.msg836862#msg836862 date=1283441731]
La Tech gets a home and home football with BYU in 11 and 12. Lamar could be doing the samet-err, no, that
would be thinking too big. SETX and Lamar couldn't measure up to Ruston, La. We should stay FCS for 5-10 years until
everything is perfect.   ::)
[/quote]

BYU coming into play LU in PU Stadium expanded to 30k is a no brainer.  It would be filled and be the biggest sporting event ever in the history of Beaumont.
[/quote]But but but many of our forum members and their connections to LU big wigs thinks FCS and bringing in Langston and Webber International is good enough.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43