Hunstville coach admits to underestimating Livingston

Lionfan

Sounds like to me that you had those fumbles gift wrapped for you ! Otherwise it reads like it could have been a different story. Also your weekness is the pass defense. Could be interesting to see how that works for you ! Just because you played a somewhat easy pre-season schedule and won your games,  don't underestimate what you will face now that your in District play. Now its time to see what the Lions are made of !

[quote name="Lionfan" post="851294" timestamp="1284921177"]
I was not talking about the 20-4A coaches I was talking about the posters on this board who are consistently picking Livingston to finish last or next to last.
[/quote]

I'm one of those posters and I'll be glad to tell you why I think Livingston will be near the bottom.

From what I've heard (and I admit that this is just what I've heard and that I would like to know more), Livingston is almost totally ground-based. I think that a team has to have some depth and mix up the play-calling to be competitive in this district. I think that a completely ground-based offense was Livingston's "Achilles' Heel" last year and will be again this year. It also sounds like their defense could use a little work.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Livingston pulled off a few upsets. Last year's win over Central proved that Livingston has the will-power, it's just a matter of what the Lions do with it.

However, this is just the opinion of a band member, so take it for what it's worth.... ;D

The Lions have the same ground based offense that allowed them to got three rounds deep in '07, manhandle PNG in '08, and play Dayton down to the wire '08. Note highly ranked Brenham only managed to put up 28 against Huntsville while the run based Lions hung a 40 spot on em so ya'll be the judge.

[quote name="Lionfan" post="851382" timestamp="1284926650"]
The Lions have the same ground based offense that allowed them to got three rounds deep in '07, manhandle PNG in '08, and play Dayton down to the wire '08. Note highly ranked Brenham only managed to put up 28 against Huntsville while the run based Lions hung a 40 spot on em so ya'll be the judge.
[/quote]

I'm not saying that a ground-based offense isn't great when you have the players for it, it's just predictable and something that a solid defense shouldn't have much trouble with. And you're correct in saying that this same offense allowed Livingston to "manhandle" PN-G in 2008... along with every other team in this district except LC-M... because of our easily predictable play-calling....

Ground-based offenses, at least in my experience, are "hit and miss" styles of play. The same running-dominant playbook that brought PN-G a second-round playoff loss to an eventual state champion in 2007 took the Indians through one of the worst seasons in school history in 2008.

[quote name="Lionfan" post="851382" timestamp="1284926650"]
[/quote]

"Highly ranked Brenham" had no offense that game!  (maybe cuz it was the first game of season, who knows) However, we did only give up a safety. ;) Not to mention, our TE dropped a perfect 40 yard pass in the end zone. (Nobody within 10 yards of him) It could have been much worse for Huntsville if this were later in the season.  Y'all did solidly beat Huntsville though.  I'm pulling for y'all to make the playoffs in 20-4A.  Livingston doesn't seem to get much credit, but maybe they can change that this year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32