Future of Football in Texas

TheRef

[quote name="Scooter!" post="881276" timestamp="1287542456"]
[quote author=TheRef link=topic=74724.msg881268#msg881268 date=1287542308]
TASO vs. UIL in Federal Court Tomorrow! Lets see if Football in Texas will ever be the same!
[/quote]i doubt it. but keep hope alive
[/quote]pssssst...go Bruins!

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="881644" timestamp="1287585656"]
Honest question here....

What will be different for the average fan or student-athlete if U.I.L. wins the hearing?  What's at stake for TASO?  What are the positions of the two parties? 

I haven't really kept up with this issue.
[/quote]

This is a very good thing.  I hope the UIL wins.  The officials are nothing more than striped mafia groups who toot their own horn.  It is very territorial and there is no accountability.  You have terrible officials who get a gig because they know someone and great officials who cant get work because they are not in the click.  The UIL should hold officials accountable for their performance, just like they are supposed to do with coaches and players.   

[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6716243.html]http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6716243.html[/url]

The reason I am so much a fan of High school and college football is because the game is about PRIDE. Unfortunately that's being drained too. Its all about $$$$.  The NFL its clear, and its started at the College level now. Seems like its trickling in to High school too. I don't know what the federal question here is?  That being said. Leave it as it is. It has seemed to worked. Football is bigger in Texas than ever and no other state does football like our state. At the end of the day both sides need not to forget its about the 10/11/12 graders on the field.

I hope that doesnt steam from your Dayton conspiricy theory smoking baby. But your actually right(cant believe i just said that)the officals are not held accountable for their actions and it isnt fair for the ones who really put time and effort (kids and coaches)when you have to beat thr refs not the team on the other side line.

Can't TASO just increase the referee/official's fee $5 bucks per game, that would solve the monetary issue of being forced to join a new affiliate.  As far as the nuts and bolts of it, TASO is officiating UIL sanctioned events and if the UIL wants tighter regulations then you kind of have to go along with it.  Are we talking about total control by UIL or simple oversight and accountability?

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="881744" timestamp="1287591496"]
Can't TASO just increase the referee/official's fee $5 bucks per game, that would solve the monetary issue of being forced to join a new affiliate.  As far as the nuts and bolts of it, TASO is officiating UIL sanctioned events and if the UIL wants tighter regulations then you kind of have to go along with it.  Are we talking about total control by UIL or simple oversight and accountability?
[/quote]

I have a good friend who is a local official and I can't tell you how many times his crew has been rejected because a coach has developed a "relationship" with a particular referee.  It is really bad along the dividing lines between the Houston and Beaumont officiating chapters.  I am not saying that every coach has a ref in their back pocket, but who's stopping them?  Right now "the fox is watching the hen-house."

As for money, it's really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.  Pay their travel and pay them equally.  If you want to give the head ref a little extra for his time and experience, that seems fair to me.  If the crew get a number of complaints (whatever number means) then dock them a game here and there.  Some kind of tiered discipline program, with them ultimately being kicked-out for poor performance.  How you pay for all that, well that's another subject.  It's easy to say ticket sales, but there are some teams that could not cover snack bar expenses if that were the case. 

P.S. 19-4A will sweep 20-4A.         

Guest Abraham
TASO better win this I have had both TASO and UIL in games i have played and personally UIL is horrible in any game i have played... To me they don't know quite as much as TASO umpires or refs would know.  TASO Goodluck from SOUTHEAST TEXAS

What you people are not understanding is that the good Doctor up in the UIL office does not want to change the way the games are scheduled. So if coach so and so likes a particular ref he can still choose to use that ref. The coaches have a big gathering in the spring and decidewhich officiating crew will call their game. That is not going to change if the UIL wins.

The only time the UIL assigns a game is if the two head coaches playing each other on that Friday Night can not agree on a crew then a call is made to the UIL and the UIL sends a crew from say College Station or Austin, or Dallas all of this has to be paid for with your school taxes by the way!

What the UIL wants is for the officials to register with the UIL and pay $50 annually. Also if this happens, there will be a push for National Federation rules in High School Football in Texas. Right now we are only one of two states that still play ball using NCAA College rules with a few exceptions.

So what is all the fuss about! Well let me explain! TASO recieves $50 from each member across the state. TASO uses this money to pay insurance for officials, hold rules clinics, furnish rules books etc.

UIL wants $50 from each official on top of what they are already paying to TASO. UIL will provide from what I understand nothing. I refuse to give my money away and recieve nothing for it. Why don't each one of you send me one of your paychecks each year and I will give you nothing for it! I will just put it in my pocket and go on with my everyday routine just like I always have only I will have more money and more money makes life so much easier.

Think about it, ever since the individuals that run the UIL have taken office they have added more playoff games. There are two state champions in every classification now. Why do you think these individuals did this for the good of the kids? NO, they did it because the UIL sucks 15% off the gate reciepts of every playoff game in every sport across the state. More games more money!
So see the uil could care less about your kids, they are just a couple of guys who went to college and became Doctor's and found a way to make easy money.

I for one hope that this clears up the situation for some of you that want to rag on us Refs when we spend 5 hours at your school on Friday night so that your kid has the oportunity to play the game and we pretty much do it for free! On a good night at a 1,2,3 a game I make about 50 or 60 dollars. I pay for my own gas and meal. And the UIL wants the rest of it! That is why TASO is in court today, fighting for my $30 that I have left over after calling a game at your stadium on Friday Night!

The Ref!

Interesting viewpoint.  What role does the UIL seek to play here?  Surely they are seeking some sort of role in the governance of officiating crews.  I absolutely hear what you are saying, but what is the UIL's side of the argument?  I understand TASO's to be that this is a money grab and if it aint broke don't fix it.  Am I correct in that assumption?

[quote name="TheRef" post="881955" timestamp="1287601503"]
What you people are not understanding is that the good Doctor up in the UIL office does not want to change the way the games are scheduled. So if coach so and so likes a particular ref he can still choose to use that ref. The coaches have a big gathering in the spring and decidewhich officiating crew will call their game. That is not going to change if the UIL wins.

The only time the UIL assigns a game is if the two head coaches playing each other on that Friday Night can not agree on a crew then a call is made to the UIL and the UIL sends a crew from say College Station or Austin, or Dallas all of this has to be paid for with your school taxes by the way!

What the UIL wants is for the officials to register with the UIL and pay $50 annually. Also if this happens, there will be a push for National Federation rules in High School Football in Texas. Right now we are only one of two states that still play ball using NCAA College rules with a few exceptions.

So what is all the fuss about! Well let me explain! TASO recieves $50 from each member across the state. TASO uses this money to pay insurance for officials, hold rules clinics, furnish rules books etc.

UIL wants $50 from each official on top of what they are already paying to TASO. UIL will provide from what I understand nothing. I refuse to give my money away and recieve nothing for it. Why don't each one of you send me one of your paychecks each year and I will give you nothing for it! I will just put it in my pocket and go on with my everyday routine just like I always have only I will have more money and more money makes life so much easier.

Think about it, ever since the individuals that run the UIL have taken office they have added more playoff games. There are two state champions in every classification now. Why do you think these individuals did this for the good of the kids? NO, they did it because the UIL sucks 15% off the gate reciepts of every playoff game in every sport across the state. More games more money!
So see the uil could care less about your kids, they are just a couple of guys who went to college and became Doctor's and found a way to make easy money.

I for one hope that this clears up the situation for some of you that want to rag on us Refs when we spend 5 hours at your school on Friday night so that your kid has the oportunity to play the game and we pretty much do it for free! On a good night at a 1,2,3 a game I make about 50 or 60 dollars. I pay for my own gas and meal. And the UIL wants the rest of it! That is why TASO is in court today, fighting for my $30 that I have left over after calling a game at your stadium on Friday Night!

The Ref!
[/quote]
I for one apprecieate refs and umpires.  I rarely blame a game on officiating ---but i have seen some crews that needed some encouragement  from the fans. 

Mostly, i believe that an official loves the sport enough to conduct him or herself in a professional manner.  I wish that the game did not incorporate rules that put an offical in a position to make a call that can impact the outcome of the game.

[quote name="TheRef" post="881955" timestamp="1287601503"]

The Ref!
[/quote]

I'll pay you the $30 bucks if you will keep a buzzer in your pocket that I can buz when we need a flag thrown.  1 buzz for a 10-yarder, and 2-buzzes for a 15-yarder.  3-Buzzes gets a flag for the opposing coach.  For every penalty yard you will get 0.25 cents.  If you can make the opposing coach throw his hat and yell, that's a $5.00 bonus.  As a fan base effort, you and the whole crew can eat at Ruth Chris Steak House every Saturday and laugh at what the coach said when you ticked him off.  Heck, you should even have beer money left.  How can you lose on that deal?  ;D ;D

Is an interesting viewpoint.  I say ban the coaches from selecting.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham