Ga. St. board

They lost a lot of early games, but they did keep it interesting with South Alabama, only losing 39-34 and it was in Alabama. Lamar has the unfortunate opportunity to play in the Georgia Dome. I do see Lamar keeping it interesting, but I'm going to have to go with the trend and say that Lamar loses this one too.

SoGA 28 Lamar 14

[quote name="JJWooten" post="894948" timestamp="1288729225"]
They lost a lot of early games, but they did keep it interesting with South Alabama, only losing 39-34 and it was in Alabama. Lamar has the unfortunate opportunity to play in the Georgia Dome. I do see Lamar keeping it interesting, but I'm going to have to go with the trend and say that Lamar loses this one too.

SoGA 28 Lamar 14
[/quote]

Its Ga St. JJ but im close to you on my prediction. I say 24 - 14 Ga. St.

Until we do the following, we can't expect to win on the road. Turnovers, as it kills drives, gives the other teams offense more opportunities. TO's cause the coaching staff to lose confidence in the person turning the ball over; be it passing or by fumble. Establishing a running game offensively. Need to average a least 4 yards per carry as it helps with clock management. Keeps the defense off the field. 3rd down on offense and defense is extremely important. Offensively, we have to keep the down and distance manageable and convert on 3rd down situations. Defensively, we need to make them one dementionable preferably stopping the run and making them pass the ball. Keep them in 3rd and long situations and make them punt the ball. Would be great if the defense caused a couple of TO's. Defensively as a unit we have to tackle better.

Then special teams we have to play better and not just the kicker. We have to play smart and not have penalties that keep their drives alive. We have to protect the punter and kicker with good blocking up front to prevent a blocked extra point, FG or punt.

The coaching staff has to have confidence that the kicker can up points on the board once Lamar gets into the red-zone. We can't get into the 20 yard line and not come away with points. Obviously, Lamar would prefer a TD but they have to at least nail a FG and come away with points.

Then I hope the special teams coach does away with the pooch kicks and attempts to kick the ball inside the 10. It is hard for me to believe a college player can't kick the ball deeper than we have this season.

The above issue with special teams leads to the other team having great field position and only needing 20-30 yards to be within scoring position.  

[quote name="bigred360" post="894985" timestamp="1288731951"]
Until we do the following, we can't expect to win on the road. Turnovers, as it kills drives, gives the other teams offense more opportunities. TO's cause the coaching staff to lose confidence in the person turning the ball over; be it passing or by fumble. Establishing a running game offensively. Need to average a least 4 yards per carry as it helps with clock management. Keeps the defense off the field. 3rd down on offense and defense is extremely important. Offensively, we have to keep the down and distance manageable and convert on 3rd down situations. Defensively, we need to make them one dementionable preferably stopping the run and making them pass the ball. Keep them in 3rd and long situations and make them punt the ball. Would be great if the defense caused a couple of TO's. Defensively as a unit we have to tackle better.

Then special teams we have to play better and not just the kicker. We have to play smart and not have penalties that keep their drives alive. We have to protect the punter and kicker with good blocking up front to prevent a blocked extra point, FG or punt.

The coaching staff has to have confidence that the kicker can up points on the board once Lamar gets into the red-zone. We can't get into the 20 yard line and not come away with points. Obviously, Lamar would prefer a TD but they have to at least nail a FG and come away with points.

Then I hope the special teams coach does away with the pooch kicks and attempts to kick the ball insider the 10. It is hard for me to believe a college player can't kick the ball deeper than we have this season.

The above issue with special teams leads to the other team having great field position and only needing 20-30 yards to be within scoring position.  
[/quote]

That's the most honest, non-dramatic post I've seen on this board all season.

Special Teams and the Quarterback seem to be the problem that is always discussed on this board.  I know this is always someones opinion so keeping that in mind, here is mine
our quarterback does throw too many interceptions and throws to a receiver when he has 2-3 players covering him  then we are lucky if we catch the ball.  Don't get me wrong he does have an arm but that is not always gonna get us 6 points on the board.

Next is the KICKER.  Not impressed with him and have not been since day one.  He has kicked a 47 yarder, wow he misses everything else.  If he is really hurt take him out, let him heal, so that when he gets back on the field he is 100 percent.  Not fair to the kid to make him keep kicking , what if he tears something in his leg then he will be out longer.  Beeing that said  isn't he suppose to be ALL STATE,  who votes on that he can't even kick the ball deep, and the past few games his pooches go as far as his regular kick offs, don't mean to be ragging on him but really kick off is not his strong point. Not counting the balls that were kicked out of bounds of kick offs. 

Special Teams give up too much yards on kick off too.  If the kicker would kick it further to the end zone maybe we would not have this problem.  I know there are other factors to this like coverage from the other players but if the key players do their job then everything else falls into place.    Don't the punter kick off too why not use him for kick off to save the kickers leg just for field goals.

I know we are young but so are the other teams and they seem to be winning so what are we doing wrong as a team. I will continue to support LAMAR and go to their games but what about bringing more local
athletes, they will bring more to the home games than out of town players who bring maybe 4 when you will have more of the community to back LAMAR.  Yeah I know there are some local players but some schools were overlooked maybe this next year will be different.

Lamar has quite a few local players on the roster so I don't see the point in bringing more of them unless they are quality D1 players.  Nobody will come to the games if they are losing, no matter how many local players are on the roster.  Bringing in local players like Beard, Gillam, the Chavis brothers, and Coleman is the way to go.  Getting Hall and Johnson on the team next year would really spark interest as they are both local guys and very talented.

Lamar's defense is beginning to step up but they do seem to miss a lot of tackles.  Both the offense and defense are making too many mistakes, which is probably to be expected from a first year program.  And as others have mentioned, this team is not very deep, so the offense is beginning to sputter as the season wears on.  The big pass play has been missing for a while, not sure if that will come back this season.

Against South Alabama, Georgia State gave up a lot more points and yardage than Lamar did.  Georgia State appears to be weak defending the run so I expect Lamar to do a lot of running Saturday, especially if Prewitt is the quarterback.  If they can have some success running them maybe that will open up the passing game a little and maybe they can make a couple of big passes and score some quick points.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="894715" timestamp="1288717423"]
[quote author=Silsbee92 link=topic=75415.msg894396#msg894396 date=1288677707]
After reading board comments sounds like they knew exactly what to expect and capitalized.
[/quote]
[i]knew exactly what to expect and capitalized[/i]

huh? game hasnt been played yet ???
[/quote]

I think he's "special"....

[quote name="Red Bird 29" post="895264" timestamp="1288751483"]
Special Teams and the Quarterback seem to be the problem that is always discussed on this board.  I know this is always someones opinion so keeping that in mind, here is mine
our quarterback does throw too many interceptions and throws to a receiver when he has 2-3 players covering him  then we are lucky if we catch the ball.  Don't get me wrong he does have an arm but that is not always gonna get us 6 points on the board.

Next is the KICKER.  Not impressed with him and have not been since day one.  He has kicked a 47 yarder, wow he misses everything else.  If he is really hurt take him out, let him heal, so that when he gets back on the field he is 100 percent.  Not fair to the kid to make him keep kicking , what if he tears something in his leg then he will be out longer.  Beeing that said  isn't he suppose to be ALL STATE,  who votes on that he can't even kick the ball deep, and the past few games his pooches go as far as his regular kick offs, don't mean to be ragging on him but really kick off is not his strong point. Not counting the balls that were kicked out of bounds of kick offs. 

Special Teams give up too much yards on kick off too.   If the kicker would kick it further to the end zone maybe we would not have this problem.   I know there are other factors to this like coverage from the other players but if the key players do their job then everything else falls into place.    Don't the punter kick off too why not use him for kick off to save the kickers leg just for field goals.

I know we are young but so are the other teams and they seem to be winning so what are we doing wrong as a team. I will continue to support LAMAR and go to their games but what about bringing more local
athletes, they will bring more to the home games than out of town players who bring maybe 4 when you will have more of the community to back LAMAR.  Yeah I know there are some local players but some schools were overlooked maybe this next year will be different.

[/quote]

Huh?  Have you seen the roster???  We have a ton of local talent on the roster.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="897006" timestamp="1288924237"]

[/quote]

I'd rather have a team full of out-of-state players that are the best at their positions and winning, then a Golden Triangle All-Star team.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="897085" timestamp="1288929007"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=75415.msg897006#msg897006 date=1288924237]

[/quote]

I'd rather have a team full of out-of-state players that are the best at their positions and winning, then a Golden Triangle All-Star team.
[/quote]

Me, too!

[quote name="bigred360" post="897140" timestamp="1288954904"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=75415.msg897085#msg897085 date=1288929007]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=75415.msg897006#msg897006 date=1288924237]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Me, too!
[/quote]

I think I'm slowly starting to see that me and you think a lot more alike each day.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="897378" timestamp="1288975633"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75415.msg897140#msg897140 date=1288954904]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=75415.msg897085#msg897085 date=1288929007]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Me, too!
[/quote]

I think I'm slowly starting to see that me and you think a lot more alike each day.
[/quote]

:D :D :D. Who would have thought?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham