Dodge reflects on next move

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1143247

Just giving my thoughts on the article as not to break any new rules.

Todd Dodge stated he will keep all options open. He mentioned coaching at the right high school program or a QB coach and/or an offensive coordinator at the college level.

Coach Dodge mentioned his first thoughts is he would like an opportunity to be a QB coach at the DI level program in the state of Texas. He thinks one of his assests is having a unique recruiting perspective.

Sure hope Coach Woodard is monitoring this situation if Coach Whitten decides to leave or Coach Woodard wants to make a change at the OC position.

[quote name="bigred360" post="894633" timestamp="1288711699"]

Todd Dodge stated he will keep all options open. He mentioned coaching at the right high school program or a QB coach and/or an offensive coordinator at the college level.

Coach Dodge mentioned his first thoughts is he would like an opportunity to be a QB coach at the DI level program in the state of Texas. He thinks one of his assests is having a unique recruiting perspective.

Sure hope Coach Woodard is monitoring this situation if Coach Whitten decides to leave or Coach Woodard wants to make a change at the OC position.
[/quote]

Have a hard time believing Todd Dodge would come to LU as an offensive coordinator.  He would make more as a high school coach/ad.

Would love to see it but I believe he has his eyes on bigger schools.

[quote name="sleepy" post="894692" timestamp="1288715601"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75428.msg894633#msg894633 date=1288711699]

[/quote]

Have a hard time believing Todd Dodge would come to LU as an offensive coordinator.  He would make more as a high school coach/ad.

Would love to see it but I believe he has his eyes on bigger schools.
[/quote]

Sleepy, you mean Lamar doesn't pay their OC or DC over $100,000 annually? Then are very few HS's that pay that type of money for a HC/AD. But, there are a few.

I don't know the budget for football but if I was Coach Tidwell I would give Coach Woodard a raise and pay Coach Dodge about $150,000 to be OC. Then if Lamar becomes successful on the field a promise he would be the first choice to be the next Head Coach if Coach Woodard were to leave for a better job.

If the above isn't possible at Lamar maybe he'll end up at UT as the QB coach. I know Greg Davis is the QB coach but maybe he would give up that hat for the Longhorns to land Coach Dodge.

Coachacola I have learned you are the guy with the answers about anything Lamar. However, I find that difficult to believe because Lamar was paying Coach Tidwell as the WBB HC $135,000 plus benefit's which I believe is a car, up do now he has been living in the dorms and a meal plan as he eats for free at the dinning hall.

That was his salary before becoming WBB HC/AD.

I would think Coach Woodard would make more as football is a revenue producing sport and the Lady Cardinals BB team averaged about 2k last season.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="894805" timestamp="1288721096"]
Why Dodge?  Why do you think he would be the "man that could get it done"?  His record is about the same as the one we have now. 

Im not trying to start anything........I just dont understand how he could be any better or worse.  Help a guy understand....would ya?
[/quote]
I'd OC for $69,999.99.... ;D

[quote name="the sports guy" post="894805" timestamp="1288721096"]
Why Dodge?  Why do you think he would be the "man that could get it done"?  His record is about the same as the one we have now. 

Im not trying to start anything........I just dont understand how he could be any better or worse.  Help a guy understand....would ya?
[/quote]

I'm not going to dog a current Lamar coach as I've posted earlier I'm not qualified to make a decision on firing a guy or not. However, the Lamar offense has been terrible this season and even though Todd Dodge was fired as Head Coach at UNT he is a better offensive coach in my opinion.

Take that and a dollar and you might be able to buy a coke.  :D

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="894814" timestamp="1288721328"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=75428.msg894805#msg894805 date=1288721096]

[/quote]
I'd OC for $69,999.99.... ;D
[/quote]
Your record has been pretty good the past few years..........and I would guess you have spent around $69,999.99 just to be a volunteer coach.   That would be a $139,999.99 swing! Not bad!

[quote name="bigred360" post="894821" timestamp="1288721477"]
[quote author=the sports guy link=topic=75428.msg894805#msg894805 date=1288721096]

[/quote]

I'm not going to dog a current Lamar coach as I've posted earlier I'm not qualified to make a decision on firing a guy or not. However, the Lamar offense has been terrible this season and even though Todd Dodge was fired as Head Coach at UNT he is a better offensive coach in my opinion.

Take that and a dollar and you might be able to buy a coke.  :D
[/quote]

I still dont know but I will take the dollar and run! 

[quote name="bigred360" post="894809" timestamp="1288721203"]
Coachacola I have learned you are the guy with the answers about anything Lamar. However, I find that difficult to believe because Lamar was paying Coach Tidwell as the WBB HC $135,000 plus benefit's which I believe is a car, up do now he has been living in the dorms and a meal plan as he eats for free at the dinning hall.

That was his salary before becoming WBB HC/AD.

I would think Coach Woodard would make more as football is a revenue producing sport and the Lady Cardinals BB team averaged about 2k last season.
[/quote]

Football also requires a lot of money for scholarships, facilities, and 3 times as many coaches. That price is really good compared to other coaches in the SLC who have an established D-I track record. If you want to know his salary, you can always request the information from the school, they have to tell you, but it could take a while. Universities have to publish their annual budget, and I know Sam's is online, but I don't know about Lamar. in 2009, Whitten was slated to make 115,000. I can't find the budget for this year, but I'm sure Fritz probably makes about 100,000 (I have no clue though)

If Allman is making $125K per year at Westlake, Dodge could make $126K somewhere as HS HC.

QB Coach at UT would bring in $200K+. OC Half a mil.

Look for G. Davis to take the fall for UT's season. Leaves that door wide open!

As I have said before, Dodge may have failed overall at UNT, but his teams did one thing and one thing well...they scored and put up stats. Just didn't stop anyone!
Maybe Dodge to UT as OC with Major as QB Coach or vice versa.

One rub against Todd Dodge by most UNT fans was his inability to stockpile FBS quarterbacks at UNT.  Yes, Riley is a fine QB, a fearless competitor, but smallish that he is injury prone.  The only legit QB Dodge brought in was Giovanni Vizza who lasted two years at UNT.  Our #1 QB this season was a walkon(eventually a schooly).  #2 QB was going to redshirt last season but had to play the last three minutes of our last game of the season against Ark State.  Burned the shirt.  Now with injuries, we were down to our 4th stringer.  Thanks to Riley getting "bolted together" after breaking his wrist, he was able to help defeat West. Kentucky.

Bottom line, for being such an offensive guru, he sure wasn't much of a QB recruiter.  Just my humble opinion.

Honestly, I think he thought Riley Dodge would be UNT's QB of the future when he joined the Mean Green back in 2008. He is smallish 6'0, 194 lbs but I've seen smaller at the FBS level.

Then look at all that he accomplished at SLC. Part of his bio. at UNT; : Passed for 3,445 yards and 39 touchdowns in 2007 … Carried 131 times for 772 yards (5.5 average) and 13 touchdowns … [b]Was named to the 45th annual 2008 PARADE All-American High School Football Team [/b]… Was recently selected to the EA Sports First Team All-America Multi-Purpose squad for 2007 … [b]Was the 2006 and 2007 Gatorade Player of the Year[/b] … Shared Texas Sports Writers Association 2007 Class 5A All-State Football Team Offensive Player of the Year honors … Was named to the Texas Class 5A All-State team for the second straight season.

He knew the system his father was running at UNT so a lot of people thought he would start from day one at UNT. You can count me as one.

Then he recruited others. Chase Baine 6'0, 210 lbs out of Lake Dallas HS. John Dodson, 6'0, 195 lbs out of Bishop Lynch HS. Derrick Teegarden, 6'0, 177 lbs out of Odessa HS. Derek Thompson 6'4, 220 lbs out of Glen Rose HS and Nathan Tune, 6'4, 226 lbs out of Celina HS.

Another aspect of recruiting a QB at North Texas was the fact Riley Dodge was on campus and is the son of the Head Coach. Honestly, if I'm a QB recruit under those circumstances I probably would not have signed with UNT either. Human nature, a QB recruit would have to prove being a lot better than Riley Dodge or the coaching staff would start the Head Coach's son.

Just my opinion as to why more top tier QB's didn't sign with UNT under Coach Dodge's watch.       

[quote name="bigred360" post="895524" timestamp="1288798630"]
Honestly, I think he thought Riley Dodge would be UNT's QB of the future when he joined the Mean Green back in 2008. He is smallish 6'0, 194 lbs but I've seen smaller at the FBS level.

Then look at all that he accomplished at SLC. Part of his bio. at UNT; : Passed for 3,445 yards and 39 touchdowns in 2007 … Carried 131 times for 772 yards (5.5 average) and 13 touchdowns … [b]Was named to the 45th annual 2008 PARADE All-American High School Football Team [/b]… Was recently selected to the EA Sports First Team All-America Multi-Purpose squad for 2007 … [b]Was the 2006 and 2007 Gatorade Player of the Year[/b] … Shared Texas Sports Writers Association 2007 Class 5A All-State Football Team Offensive Player of the Year honors … Was named to the Texas Class 5A All-State team for the second straight season.

He knew the system his father was running at UNT so a lot of people thought he would start from day one at UNT. You can count me as one.

Then he recruited others. Chase Baine 6'0, 210 lbs out of Lake Dallas HS. John Dodson, 6'0, 195 lbs out of Bishop Lynch HS. Derrick Teegarden, 6'0, 177 lbs out of Odessa HS. Derek Thompson 6'4, 220 lbs out of Glen Rose HS and Nathan Tune, 6'4, 226 lbs out of Celina HS.

Another aspect of recruiting a QB at North Texas was the fact Riley Dodge was on campus and is the son of the Head Coach. Honestly, if I'm a QB recruit under those circumstances I probably would not have signed with UNT either. Human nature, a QB recruit would have to prove being a lot better than Riley Dodge or the coaching staff would start the Head Coach's son.

Just my opinion as to why more top tier QB's didn't sign with UNT under Coach Dodge's watch.       

[/quote]
Riley is a good "low level FBS" quarterback and I'm thankful he's at UNT.  But, the fact is, even with all his high school awards, accomplishments and accolades, Univ of Texas originally recruited him as a defensive back. Riley de-pledged UT when his dad took the UNT job.  He reshirted(medical) his freshman year, then played wide receiver until he got hurt in the Rice game of '08. Thompson is the only legit QB, along with Vizza that Dodge recruited.  Nathan Tune was a walkon under during the Daryl Dickey days  Teegarden is a wide receiver and will probably never play QB at UNT.

to be honest, there is some truth to having a highly touted QB, who happens to be the coache's son, plying QB.  Could have scared off some good ones.

I hope Rile stays healthy since we have him for two more years.  He's a fighter.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="895621" timestamp="1288808327"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75428.msg895524#msg895524 date=1288798630]

[/quote]
Riley is a good "low level FBS" quarterback and I'm thankful he's at UNT.  But, the fact is, even with all his high school awards, accomplishments and accolades, Univ of Texas originally recruited him as a defensive back. Riley de-pledged UT when his dad took the UNT job.  He reshirted(medical) his freshman year, then played wide receiver until he got hurt in the Rice game of '08. Thompson is the only legit QB, along with Vizza that Dodge recruited.  Nathan Tune was a walkon under during the Daryl Dickey days  Teegarden is a wide receiver and will probably never play QB at UNT.

to be honest, there is some truth to having a highly touted QB, who happens to be the coache's son, plying QB.  Could have scared off some good ones.

I hope Rile stays healthy since we have him for two more years.  He's a fighter.
[/quote]
I thought UT recruited Dodge to play WR with his SLC teammate Tre' Newton in the same class. As for as Riley Dodge finishing out his college career at UNT, it depends on where his father lands. If he is at a FBS school Riley will probably stay at UNT as he has already red-shirted (medical) once in 2008.

If he (Todd Dodge) were to go to a FCS school, I can see Riley transferring and playing either WR or QB.

[quote name="bigred360" post="895662" timestamp="1288811327"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=75428.msg895621#msg895621 date=1288808327]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I thought UT recruited Dodge to play WR with his SLC teammate Tre' Newton in the same class. As for as Riley Dodge finishing out his college career at UNT, it depends on where his father lands. If he is at a FBS school Riley will probably stay at UNT as he has already red-shirted (medical) once in 2008.

If he (Todd Dodge) were to go to a FCS school, I can see Riley transferring and playing either WR or QB.
[/quote]
Riley has already publicly stated that he will stay at UNT regardless of what his Dad does.  He  likes UNT and is committed to staying there  Papa Dodge intends to be at the UNT games as a fan.  He went to the Western Kentucky game as a fan.

[quote name="coachacola" post="894799" timestamp="1288720755"]
I think Woodard makes at around $135K and the assistants around $60K.  The OC and DC may make more than that.  I doubt we'll see Woodard and the other coaches getting big raises any time soon so unless Dodge wants a big time cut in pay he won't be coming to Lamar.
[/quote]

I thought Dodge was unemployed.  So, unless we would make him pay us for the right to coach here he wouldn't be taking a pay cut.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="895830" timestamp="1288823092"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75428.msg895662#msg895662 date=1288811327]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=75428.msg895621#msg895621 date=1288808327]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Riley has already publicly stated that he will stay at UNT regardless of what his Dad does.  He  likes UNT and is committed to staying there  Papa Dodge intends to be at the UNT games as a fan.  He went to the Western Kentucky game as a fan.
[/quote]

I promise Riley isn't going anywhere. He loves it up there.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham