Final men's hoop scrimmage notes

[font=Courier]Lamb & James did not play[/font]

Junior Brandon Davis poured in 25 points on Tuesday night to lead an offensive explosion and propel the Lamar University black team to a 111-70 victory over the white team in an intrasquad basketball scrimmage from the Montagne Center.

The Cardinals will open the 2010-11 season on Friday night at 7:05 when Lyon College visits the Montagne Center.
Immediately following the game will be a free concert by the John Evans Band. Evans played quarterback for Lamar from 1986-89.

Davis scored 15 of his game-high 25 points in the first half as the black squad opened a 55-33 lead. Fellow juniors Orlando Brazier and Vincenzo Nelson each scored 14 for the black team in the first half, contributing to a 53.8 shooting percentage from the floor before the break.

The second half proved to be more of the same as the two teams played with an 11 second shot clock throughout the second half. Despite the frenetic pace, the two teams combined for only 15 second half turnovers.

Senior point guard Kendrick Harris was especially sharp in the second half as he scored 16 of his 23 points for the black squad. Harris also dished out a game-high 10 assists in the game while only committing three turnovers.

The white team had four players score in double-figures, led by junior Charlie Harper with 17. Sophomore forward Stan Brown added 11 points and 10 rebounds, while Anthony Miles finished with 13 points and six assists. Tremell Adams scored 14 for the white squad, but shot just 5-of-16 from the floor.

Brazier, a 6-foot-7 post, finished the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds, including nine off the offensive glass. Nelson added 21 points and nine rebounds for the black team.

The two teams combined to shoot an impressive 38-of-48 (79.2 percent) from the free throw line.

I'm pretty happy with what I saw tonight.  I'm glad to see a significant increase in offensive firepower, and the team should be pretty deep. 

It seems like the overall athleticism of the team has taken a step up: I'm very glad to see this, in particular from Brazier, Nelson, and Davis.

We'll see what they can do Friday.  Last year, I was very disappointed in our performances against these low-end teams and it foretold a lot of our struggles.  You can't assume a great team if you beat Lyon by 50, but if you're only beating them by 10, it's a bad sign. 

Anyone know the status of Harper?  He came off hobbling and was on the bike for a while in the 2nd half, but didn't come back in.

[quote]We'll see what they can do Friday.  Last year, I was very disappointed in our performances against these low-end teams and it foretold a lot of our struggles.  You can't assume a great team if you beat Lyon by 50, but if you're only beating them by 10, it's a bad sign. [/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more.  If Lamar hasn't blown the game wide open by halftime then we'll probably be in for another long season, no matter who's injured for Lamar.

Just my opinion after watching a practice and two scrimmages. I think the starting 5 (before Mike James returns) will be.
1. Harris at the PG, he has really been impressive.
2. Davis playing the SG, he can shoot with range way past the 3 point line and hits about 45-50% of his attempts. He is also good at driving to the basket and scoring or drawing a foul. He is a very good FT shooter.
3. Nelson at the SF, when the coaching staff put a big body on him he would hit the open shot. Small guy and he is going to the basketball and can dunk with authority. He plays a lot better facing the basket.
4. Brazier at the PF, at 6'7, 235lbs he is a good rebounder, good defender and makes good post moves to get open under the basket and can score inside 15 feet pretty good.
5. Custer at the Center position. I can't believe how much better he is this season. Or I should say up to this point. He is rebounding well, making great passes and scored off of offensive rebounds and he can be very accurate behind the 3 pt line.

After Mike James returns, he'll take a few weeks to adjust to the team but he has the skill to be a great player for Lamar.

Adams, Brown, Harper, Miles, Lamb, Ebomwonyi and Minor should get quality minutes.  

It should be interesting to see who Roc goes with in the starting line up. We have a lot of different pieces.

I wonder if Roc will stick with that 3 guard lineup that he likes so much.

[quote name="mffl" post="903388" timestamp="1289412962"]
It should be interesting to see who Roc goes with in the starting line up. We have a lot of different pieces.

I wonder if Roc will stick with that 3 guard lineup that he likes so much.
[/quote]

In a recent interview Roc said he'll mainly go with a 3 guard lineup, maybe even 4 guards.

I'd expect Davis and Adams to spell one another, which will give us a deep threat at all times. And both are big guards, one being tall and rangey at 6'6" and the other being stout at 6'3" and 200+. No more little guys that have trouble getting good looks and shots off.

PG James / Harris / Miles / James
2G Miles / Lamb / Adams / Adams
3G Davis / Adams / Davis / Davis
PF Nelson / Harper / Brazier / Nelson
C  Custer / Brazier / Harris / Custer

I think Roc will have a lot of different combonations starting depending on the matchups. Which will be a great benefit to have.

[quote name="badndn" post="904211" timestamp="1289497447"]
I'd expect Davis and Adams to spell one another, which will give us a deep threat at all times. And both are big guards, one being tall and rangey at 6'6" and the other being stout at 6'3" and 200+. No more little guys that have trouble getting good looks and shots off.

PG James / Harris / Miles / James
2G Miles / Lamb / Adams / Adams
3G Davis / Adams / Davis / Davis
PF Nelson / Harper / Brazier / Nelson
C  Custer / Brazier / Harris / Custer

I think Roc will have a lot of different combonations starting depending on the matchups. Which will be a great benefit to have.
[/quote]

Agreed for the most part but Nelson doesn't play like a PF. IMO he is more of a SF. I'm just comparing him with Lamar Sanders. He is better with the ball, just as good passing, defense and rebounding. Then IMO he appears more athletic.

That said, I would love another player with Sanders focus and intensity. 

The box score from the scrimmage showed Nelson taking 7 3-pointers, and at 6'5" I would guess he's more of a small forward than a power forward.  I think offensively this team will be fine as long as they are not overly reliant on 3-pointers.  With bigger and more athletic guards I'm hoping they can drive the lane and make some layups and use their quickness to grab rebounds. I'm also hoping they'll be a lot better defensively than in past years.  Even if they are great shooters they can't outscore their opponents every night.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="904366" timestamp="1289505494"]
Ah, listen to the masses once again getting a little excited. You guys kill me. But I gotta admit, I'm getting a little excited myself. Nothing like a little fire under your butt to produce.
[/quote]

You kill me. All I've done is supply stats, compare present players with past. Give my opinion who will start and why. I've posted the bad as well as the good. I stated I don't see Devon Lamb starting or playing major minutes and he lead the nation at the juco level in scoring at 27 PPG.

I have stated I believe they will be fun to watch but I have not stated anyone will be All-Conference including heralded newcomer Mike James. I have not stated where I think they will finish in the conference and how they will play if they make the SLC tournament this season.

As for other posters I haven't seen them talking about a conference championship, All-SLC players or predicted a record for this team.

BTW, I've seen Coach Tubbs at both scrimmages and AD Coach Tidwell this past one. They looked like they liked what they saw in the scrimmage.

[quote name="bigred360" post="904385" timestamp="1289506362"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=75820.msg904366#msg904366 date=1289505494]
Ah, listen to the masses once again getting a little excited. You guys kill me. But I gotta admit, I'm getting a little excited myself. Nothing like a little fire under your butt to produce.
[/quote]

You kill me. All I've done is supply stats, compare present players with past. Give my opinion who will start and why. I've posted the bad as well as the good. I stated I don't see Devon Lamb starting or playing major minutes and he lead the nation at the juco level in scoring at 27 PPG.

I have stated I believe they will be fun to what but I have not stated anyone will be All-Conference including heralded newcomer Mike James. I have not stated where I think they will finish in the conference and how they will play if they make the SLC tournament this season.

As for other posters I haven't seen them talking about a conference championship, All-SLC players or predicted a record for this team.

BTW, I've seen Coach Tubbs at both scrimmages and AD Coach Tidwell this past one. They looked like they liked what they saw in the scrimmage.
[/quote]Everybody a little gun-shy to start predicting right now. I just hope I can find some time to see them this year.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="904366" timestamp="1289505494"]
[/quote]
As come on. We have never udeservedly hyped a lens basketball team here!  Why it has only been 25 short years since we have had a decent team.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="904643" timestamp="1289524916"]
[/quote]
As come on. We have never udeservedly hyped a lens basketball team here!  Why it has only been 25 short years since we have had a decent team.
[/quote]Yall had a "decent" team since the early 2000's with the kid from HJ leading the LU team.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="905171" timestamp="1289572935"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=75820.msg904643#msg904643 date=1289524916]
[/quote]
[/quote]Yall had a "decent" team since the early 2000's with the kid from HJ leading the LU team.
[/quote]
Coach Roc guided LU to its first SLC regular-season championship in more than 20 years in his second season with an 13-3 conference mark.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham