LU vs Lyon

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="906360" timestamp="1289622499"]
Lazeek didn't leave early tonight! It was an exciting and flashy game to watch.
[/quote]

Once LU hit 100 we left!!!!!  :D :D :D

Three players I was very impressed with................Brandon Davis, Devon Lamb and Orlando Brazier!!!!

Custer is not gonna fit in with this crew!!!

I cannot wait to see the James kid play!!!!

Don't think this type of game helps other than getting some some playing time for everybody.  A few of these games is ok, but Roc has way to many this year.  Trying to pad record.  Wont help down the stretch of the conference run.  But I've been wrong before, like buying into the hype about recruits!  Lets see if the team gets better as the season goes.  The football team didn''t.  Wow, I'm really sounding negative.  I really want the the teams to do great!

I think this game and the others against non-D1 competition only shows us what the talent level is for Lamar compared to previous years.  Last year Lamar only beat Lyon 75-46, and that was in mid-season.  This year Lamar beat Lyon easily in their first game and Lyon had already played 4 games.  In 2008 Lamar when Lamar won 19 games they beat Lyon 104-52 and averaged 104 points against the 4 non-D1 opponents.

This type of game doesn't tell us squat how well Roc will coach but does show that the talent is there for a good season, especially with a relatively weak schedule.  I looks like the SLC may be a little weaker this year than in the past few years so they need to capitalize on that.

Nicholls is favored to win the east but almost beating Houston on the road is surprising.  I'm glad Lamb is playing for us and not Houston.

Against a team like Lyon, you can't get too excited about a blowout, but the quickness and athleticism of the team was very impressive.

Last year, when we played La. College and almost lost, I was as down on the program as I've been since first moving to the area in 1995 and becoming a season ticket holder.  Against these types of teams, we should be getting 10+ breakaway dunks/easy layups a game simply because the opponent can't handle our athleticism and speed.  Last year, that wasn't happening.  We'd have lost to La. College if Nabors hadn't had about 250 rebounds in the game to keep us going.

This year seems very different: we got those easy baskets, our hands were very quick, and we've got a lot of shooters.  We also seem to have a ton of depth--the talent level really didn't drop off appreciably at any point until the very end of the game when the really young guys were in there (not a knock on them--Osas/Tre/Darius are all freshmen).  

It was very telling in the second scrimmage, as well as last night, that our newcomers are our best players.  We'll see if Roc can coach them up well enough to compete with better-quality foes.  

As for our tournament opponents:

UC-Riverside got blasted last night at UNLV, 85-41.
Portland State beat Pepperdine 83-81.
SMU lost at home to Arkansas-Little Rock 57-47.  Interestingly, SMU went only eight deep the whole game, with only a total of 47 bench minutes.  If they've really got that little depth, the fact we get them the third day of a three-consecutive-day tournament could be to our advantage, especially if our depth is the real deal.

I want to drink some Kool-Aid, guys--let's see you win this thing next weekend!

[/quote]

Bruce I am drinking the Kool-Aid right now as well.............Davis, Lamb, Brazier are better than anyone we put on the floor last year.  Also I hear that James is better than all of them!!!!  I am drunk on the Kool-Aid right now.  Not sure LU has what it takes to make it to the NCAA but making a run in the SLC Tourney is gonna happen.  This may be the most talent Roc has ever brought in........if he can't win this year then it is time to get someone who can win!!!!!!

I was very impressed with the team unity . roc is stressing unselfish play and being ready when you get your minutes.  Milk is so much better than last year they say he is a different person since his mother death. he knows this is his last chance and he is becoming a leader. lamb came in and played like a beast he led team in rebounding.  Davis can truly stroke it from everywhere. i havent seen players with this much athleticism at lamer in 30 years. he truly goes 12 deep minor sat on bench most of 1st half but when he got his chance he was all over yhe court 11pts 6 reb 4 steal  22minutes. i havent seen players with smiles on there faces at lamar in years

roc has done a great job of recruiting along with his asst.  it is going to be agood  year..

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="907031" timestamp="1289673006"]
Lamar needs to address the rebounding issue and half court offense ability!!!!!  On the run they look great and score very well.  Anyone who tries to make LU slow it down and pound it down low on LU will have a field day!!!!!
[/quote]

Geez, can't you be happy for a victory versus Lyon before starting to talk about what you think Lamar can't do. Man, if this was a football thread people like you would be the first to defend our areas of concern like special teams, a running game or us being the last DI football program to not have a rushing TD.

What rebounding issue are you talking about? This was our first game and we out rebounded Lyon 44-37. Lamb had 9 and he is a guard. Then Charlie Harper played the most minutes at 24. That is 4 minutes over HALF a game.

Then, how do you know that teams who tries to pound the ball down low on LU will have a field day?

Again, we have just played one game. I thought you were impressed with Brazier?

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="906360" timestamp="1289622499"]
Lazeek didn't leave early tonight! It was an exciting and flashy game to watch.
[/quote]...and 50 or so us stayed to hear the John Evans Band.  He played before about the same number of empty seats that football team did Saturday night. 

[quote name="UNLV" post="910108" timestamp="1289867449"]
Roc has been going after moderately high recruits but missing out signing them. If Roc can make this
team successful, Roc will start getting those recruits.
[/quote]

What/who do you mean by "moderately high"?

[quote name="bigred360" post="909775" timestamp="1289844309"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=75993.msg907031#msg907031 date=1289673006]
Lamar needs to address the rebounding issue and half court offense ability!!!!!  On the run they look great and score very well.  Anyone who tries to make LU slow it down and pound it down low on LU will have a field day!!!!!
[/quote]

Geez, can't you be happy for a victory versus Lyon before starting to talk about what you think Lamar can't do. Man, if this was a football thread people like you would be the first to defend our areas of concern like special teams, a running game or us being the last DI football program to not have a rushing TD.

What rebounding issue are you talking about? This was our first game and we out rebounded Lyon 44-37. Lamb had 9 and he is a guard. Then Charlie Harper played the most minutes at 24. That is 4 minutes over HALF a game.

Then, how do you know that teams who tries to pound the ball down low on LU will have a field day?

Again, we have just played one game. I thought you were impressed with Brazier?

[/quote]
I don't think Lazeek has been in much of the conversation on the football stuff.  However to compare basketball and football are two different deals.  This is roc's 5th year I believe as a head coach and further more it is about his 7th or 8th recruiting class(he did ALL OF THE RECRUITING for tubbs.)  5 years of Woodard at the helm and we will all be able to tell alot more and form better opinions. JMHO!

I also believe that if Woodard does as poorly as roc has done in his tenure as head coach that the powers that be won't give him a 5th year.  Again, just my opinion.

Lazeek has posted about the football team. I'd be glad to post them on here. All I'm saying is this is basically a new team with 8 new players and Lyon College was our first game. We beat them by over 50 points. I just think it would be best to wait and see on this team.

You haven't seen me post anything about winning record, winning conference, star players. Except, I have stated I'll like to see what Mike James can do.

You say give the football team time and you are correct. I say give this basketball team time.

Don't we both want the best for Lamar athletics? I think we do.

[quote name="bigred360" post="910637" timestamp="1289928685"]
Lazeek has posted about the football team. I'd be glad to post them on here. All I'm saying is this is basically a new team with 8 new players and Lyon College was our first game. We beat them by over 50 points. I just think it would be best to wait and see on this team.

You haven't seen me post anything about winning record, winning conference, star players. Except, I have stated I'll like to see what Mike James can do.

You say give the football team time and you are correct. I say give this basketball team time.

Don't we both want the best for Lamar athletics? I think we do.
[/quote]

I absolutely want them to win.............however the basketball team has had time.............wouldn't you agree?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    risinger62
    Newest Member
    risinger62