The Big time?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="914608" timestamp="1290289089"]
all the talk about FBS..moving to the WAC or  the Sunbelt...take away the 4 teams that are jumping the sinking WAC ship.....[b]none[/b] of the other teams in either conference has a winning record...

if we were to ever move, I'd prefer the Sunbelt,  cuz of the cajuns...but these 2 conferences suck!

[/quote]

agreed.  Plus we need fan support.  the last 2 games attendance was disappointing.  the two wins at the end of this season should set us up with a lot of momentum heading into next year.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="915480" timestamp="1290354496"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=76412.msg914608#msg914608 date=1290289089]
all the talk about FBS..moving to the WAC or  the Sunbelt...take away the 4 teams that are jumping the sinking WAC ship.....[b]none[/b] of the other teams in either conference has a winning record...

if we were to ever move, I'd prefer the Sunbelt,  cuz of the cajuns...but these 2 conferences suck!
[/quote]

agreed.  Plus we need fan support.  [b]the last 2 games attendance was disappointing.[/b]  the two wins at the end of this season should set us up with a lot of momentum heading into next year.
[/quote]
WB, PAM and PNG playoff games had alot to do with this. Like I've said before, like it or not, but SETX HS Football is King and will allways take precedents over LU Football, but you can't schedule LU football around HS Football so it is what it is. As far as LU basketball, I have to say that Roc could schedule early season BB home games around HS football. Not sure why he would schedule the home opener on a Friday Night??? Easily could have scheduled it on Thursday

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="915550" timestamp="1290359802"]
First game was actually scheduled for 2PM saturday but was moved to Friday because of the football game. And the game couldn't have been scheduled for Thursday because the first day of the season was that Friday.
[/quote]

Others played before that Friday,maybe not any Southland teams

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="915480" timestamp="1290354496"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=76412.msg914608#msg914608 date=1290289089]

[/quote]

agreed.  Plus we need fan support.  the last 2 games attendance was disappointing.  the two wins at the end of this season should set us up with a lot of momentum heading into next year.

Not shocked, hate to sound pessimistic, but it has been like this for 50+ year that I am aware of......Local folks go to the games( or civic centers or restaurants) because it is new, then they taper off.....I wanted to finally be able to go to the game last night, but had family obligations. ( I have several former student involved in non-football, band, drill team etc.)
Also, you need to remember, there are a lot of Lamar fans who are also PNG, WB or local high school fans and they went to their high school playoff games and you have to remember in SE Texas high school football is still king.

[/quote]

Talked to someone in the athletic department yesterday at the WBB game before the football game and he said they needed to get the students more involved in attending the games. He said they have a few ideas for next year but didn't share them with me nor did I ask.

He said student attendance was great the first 3 games but fell off the last two.

I like badndn stated earlier in this thread I mentioned the HS playoff games as a possibility of effecting the attendance to him and he stated there are a lot of season ticket holders that are PNG alumni and that probably did effect the game last night.

I agree with coachacola if Lamat were in a FBS conference and winning 8 or more a year the HS playoff games wouldn't effect attendance as much.

Next year we finish the season at home with McNeese. So, either way that should be a well attended game.

[quote name="bigred360" post="915746" timestamp="1290372276"]
Talked to someone in the athletic department yesterday at the WBB game before the football game and he said they needed to get the students more involved in attending the games. He said they have a few ideas for next year but didn't share them with me nor did I ask.

He said student attendance was great the first 3 games but fell off the last two.

I like badndn stated earlier in this thread I mentioned the HS playoff games as a possibility of effecting the attendance to him and he stated there are a lot of season ticket holders that are PNG alumni and that probably did effect the game last night.

I agree with coachacola if Lamat were in a FBS conference and winning 8 or more a year the HS playoff games wouldn't effect attendance as much.

Next year we finish the season at home with McNeese. So, either way that should be a well attended game.
[/quote]

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

By and large, nobody really cares about beaumont high school football.  The PNG game definitely hurt.  We just need to make sure and recruit plenty of PNG and Nederland boys to keep attendance up.  Having a few Beaumont and Lumberton players can't hurt either.  At least until we are in FBS and winning 8+ games per year.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="915949" timestamp="1290382505"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=76412.msg915746#msg915746 date=1290372276]

[/quote]

By and large, nobody really cares about beaumont high school football.  The PNG game definitely hurt.  We just need to make sure and recruit plenty of PNG and Nederland boys to keep attendance up.  Having a few Beaumont and Lumberton players can't hurt either.  At least until we are in FBS and winning 8+ games per year.
[/quote]

Oh and the students do need to be MUCH more involved.  When I was in school I was in a fraternity and pretty much the only students that showed up to football and basketball games were the greeks.  Oh, and what did the President at the time do?  Try and make life a miserable as possible for the greeks.  He was trying his best to run us off campus.  Damn idiot.

i dont think west brook, central or ozone are gonna affect LU attendance that much...mid county might....but 4k short of a sellout?  not that much
I think students have shown up pretty well

i think these added up,

a-I think LU public relations bit the dust toward the end of the season
b-deer season
c-playoff games
d-ut and aggie wannabes

we had players from bmt, hardin county, orange county, mid county playing last night..tatum was even playing some kickoffs...dude from Dayton had a career day on special teams

gotta love those cowbell folks in top of W207 or 208?  rooting for 42!  gotta get me some seats by them, they are awesome fans!

the early mass exodus...kills me

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="915951" timestamp="1290382683"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=76412.msg915949#msg915949 date=1290382505]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=76412.msg915746#msg915746 date=1290372276]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh and the students do need to be MUCH more involved.  When I was in school I was in a fraternity and pretty much the only students that showed up to football and basketball games were the greeks. [b] Oh, and what did the President at the time do?  Try and make life a miserable as possible for the greeks.  He was trying his best to run us off campus.  dang idiot.[/b][/quote]

I heard a rumor that they were looking into building some frat houses on campus for the fraternities and sororities. Would be a great deal in my opinion and let the young men and women have a little fun on campus without the administration coming down on them.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="915973" timestamp="1290383678"]
i dont think west brook, central or ozone are gonna affect LU attendance that much...mid county might....but 4k short of a sellout?  not that much
I think students have shown up pretty well

i think these added up,

a-I think LU public relations bit the dust toward the end of the season
b-deer season
c-playoff games
d-ut and aggie wannabes

we had players from bmt, hardin county, orange county, mid county playing last night..tatum was even playing some kickoffs...dude from Dayton had a career day on special teams

[b]gotta love those cowbell folks in top of W207 or 208?  rooting for 42!  gotta get me some seats by them, they are awesome fans![/b]the early mass exodus...kills me
[/quote]
Agree with your observations and 42 his a young man from LC-M. Joseph Viator, I know his dad pretty well as he use to own Kings Gym in Orange.

The Sunday Beaumont Enterprise talked about the future of Lamar football.  They have dreams of playing in bowl games by 2016 but admit they have a lot of work to do.  Larry Tidwell said any conference they join would have to make geographic sense, which probably means they would not join the WAC.  I was surprised to read that they only sold about 5400 season tickets, I thought the amount was around 7K or 8K.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43