8 year old coach vs kid pitch

I prefer coach pitch at that age because there are not enough 8 year olds that can throw strikes.  Coach pitch games have a lot more flow & keep the kids in the game. This fall our coach pitch league at Ford Park had 1:15 time limits and there were very few games that didn't play a full 6 innings.  At that age, most kids are afraid of getting hit by the ball causing them to step out.  That fear is not as bad in coach pitch.  The ball is always in play in coach pitch, letting the kids develop defensive & baserunning skills as well.  Kid pitch at the young ages has to many walks & strike outs & very little flow to the game.

thanks.
Jason Tyner

[quote name="19bulldog88" post="931816" timestamp="1292171737"]
I agree with everything Jason said. At that age, you would want all the kids to be interested in what is going on. If it is a walk fest, score on a passed ball/wild pitch, makes for a pretty boring game for all. Coach pitch gets a lot more action for every one.
[/quote]

At West End, we have a modified kid pitch.  Kids don't walk.  They either hit or a coach comes in and gives them 3 pitches.  We also don't score on wild pitches.  Since we have 2 years of coach pitch before the 8 year old year, i think they are ready to get the  on the mound and get  ready for the minor leagues.  Also good for the hitters to see some live pitching before the 9 year old year.  Pure kid pitch can be slow at that age, but the modified system works out well for us.  JMO

[quote name="westend1" post="932408" timestamp="1292260436"]
[quote author=19bulldog88 link=topic=77362.msg931816#msg931816 date=1292171737]
I agree with everything Jason said. At that age, you would want all the kids to be interested in what is going on. If it is a walk fest, score on a passed ball/wild pitch, makes for a pretty boring game for all. Coach pitch gets a lot more action for every one.
[/quote]

At West End, we have a modified kid pitch.  Kids don't walk.  They either hit or a coach comes in and gives them 3 pitches.  We also don't score on wild pitches.  Since we have 2 years of coach pitch before the 8 year old year, i think they are ready to get the  on the mound and get  ready for the minor leagues.  Also good for the hitters to see some live pitching before the 9 year old year.   Pure kid pitch can be slow at that age, but the modified system works out well for us.  JMO
[/quote]

Sounds good and fun. Yall must be doing something right, yall seem to be well represented at tourneys beyond district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32