THE MOST DRAMATIC BASEBALL GAME EVER PLAYED TO BE AIRED TONIGHT

copied off blog

"Tonight the MLB network will air Game Seven of the 1960 World Series. It's the first time the game will be seen since October 13, 1960, the day it was played. As I understand it, a film of the game was uncovered recently in the wine cellar of then-Pirate part-owner Bing Crosby (1960 was a very good year). Crosby couldn't make it to Game 7 because he was out of the country (in some accounts he did not attend out of superstition). So he had someone film the television broadcast"

Bottom 8th

Yanks 7
Pirates 9

cimeoli singles, Bill Virdon hit a sure DP ball that hit Yank SS Toney Kubek in the throat, he had to leave the game.
Groat singles rbi, Stengal pulls 5'6" Bobby Shantz. Roberta Clemente infield single, rbi. Hal Smith hits a 3 run HR

Hal Smith in the studio on MLB, getting standing ovation, Franco Harris is sitting behind him.

Ralph Terry in to pitch, for those who know the ending of this game, becomes real famous.

Top 9

Pirates 9
Yanks 9

Bobby Richardson opens with single, 11th hit of series, PH Dale Long singles to RF, Pirates bring in Haddex a lefty to face Roger Maris and gets him to pop up, Mickey Mantle is next and singles to RF for rbi, Yogi Berra at the plate ,  grounds out to 1b, Mantle sneaks back to 1B on great play, runner scores. FC ends inning.

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="934012" timestamp="1292472210"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=77551.msg934008#msg934008 date=1292471960]
Thanks for reminding me about this telecast, I almost missed it.
[/quote]

no problem grad, i know i'm a sick individual but i still get goose bumps watching this.
[/quote]

I had always seen this as just a snippet, never in the context of the entire game.  That was cool to see, as well as all of the subplots.  I had forgotten that this was the game that Tony Kubek took the ball to the throat (no I wasn't alive to see it but dad is a Yankees fan so I heard about it alot).

It was also good to see Bill Virdon smile, given that I never saw that when he managed the Astros...even when they won the Division pennant in 1980.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="934019" timestamp="1292473116"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=77551.msg934012#msg934012 date=1292472210]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=77551.msg934008#msg934008 date=1292471960]
Thanks for reminding me about this telecast, I almost missed it.
[/quote]

no problem grad, i know i'm a sick individual but i still get goose bumps watching this.
[/quote]

I had always seen this as just a snippet, never in the context of the entire game.  That was cool to see, as well as all of the subplots.  I had forgotten that this was the game that Tony Kubek took the ball to the throat (no I wasn't alive to see it but dad is a Yankees fan so I heard about it alot).

It was also good to see Bill Virdon smile, given that I never saw that when he managed the Astros...even when they won the Division pennant in 1980.
[/quote]

Like you, only seen certain highlights. So right about Virdon. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ashworth32
    Newest Member
    ashworth32