Evadale at Spurger

True Blue

I have not seen Spurger play, but some people who know the game told me last year that they had a good point and post.  And I am pretty sure they still have those two. I do not know about Evadale. Has Evadale ever been 2A?  And arent they a very wealthy school because of a big timber business in town?  Does anyone know?

I was just curious if Evadale was wealthy and had ever been 2A.  I didnt think it correlated at all to their basketball team.  I am sure what ever money they should have within their district is pulled away from them"hence robin hood" and given to other districts.    I had just heard Evadale at one time was 2A and that had the best facilties you would find anywhere for 1A. That was all I was curious about.  I think Spurger wins concerning the game.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="934948" timestamp="1292619567"]
I was just curious if Evadale was wealthy and had ever been 2A.  I didnt think it correlated at all to their basketball team.  I am sure what ever money they should have within their district is pulled away from them"hence robin hood" and given to other districts.    I had just heard Evadale at one time was 2A and that had the best facilties you would find anywhere for 1A. That was all I was curious about.  I think Spurger wins concerning the game.
[/quote] Iwill try to answer the questions you have asked. Evadale was at one time the 5 wealthys school in Texas, but after the Robin hood tax their not there anymore. They have been a 2a one time a long time ago. But they have also been a B size school. As far as the facitlies go they were the first school in the area to have a new gym, and it was the best around. But now with EC, HJ, Kountze, D-Vill, K-vill ,Spurger, Buna,  all having new gyms they are  just  one of the best. Now as far as the game goes there is only one team that both have played, thet being B-City Evadale had no trouble beating them, and Spurger just won by 4 so this should determine who is the best small school in the Area.

It will depend on the big kid from Evadale.I think his number is 32,if he can slow Whitaker without a double team it will be close ,if not Spurger will win easily.Spurger gets the edge in the paint and on the point while Evadale has an advantage shooting from the perimeter.While I really like Spurgers young coach Evadale has a basketball guru on the sideline.Overall I think Spurger wins by 6.

Spurger -66
Evadale-60

[quote name="whsalum" post="934977" timestamp="1292621635"]
It will depend on the big kid from Evadale.I think his number is 32,if he can slow Whitaker without a double team it will be close ,if not Spurger will win easily.Spurger gets the edge in the paint and on the point while Evadale has an advantage shooting from the perimeter.While I really like Spurgers young coach Evadale has a basketball guru on the sideline.Overall I think Spurger wins by 6.

Spurger -66
Evadale-60
[/quote] I dont know if you have seen Evadale this year, but there is no way you can say that Spurger has the edge in the paint.. Evadale has a 6'7'' and 2 6'4 players when Spurger only has Whitaker and 6'2'' Now Spurger has got a large advantage at the point guard. But I will take Evadale with 7 play makers against Spurgers 2. But we will find all this out in about two and a half hours..

[quote name="True Blue" post="935005" timestamp="1292624170"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=77681.msg934977#msg934977 date=1292621635]

Spurger -66
Evadale-60
[/quote] I dont know if you have seen Evadale this year, but there is no way you can say that Spurger has the edge in the paint.. Evadale has a 6'7'' and 2 6'4 players when Spurger only has Whitaker and 6'2'' Now Spurger has got a large advantage at the point guard. But I will take Evadale with 7 play makers against Spurgers 2. But we will find all this out in about two and a half hours..
[/quote]I was talking about a single matchup in the paint.#32 for Evadale against Whittacre,if the Evadale player can hold his own the game favors the rebels if he has to have help in the form of a double team the advantage switches to Spurger immediately.The 6'7" kid isn't a force in the paint.No disrespect to him but he is a little light to bang on the boards.The PG match up favors McGallion and the shooting match up favors #3 for the rebels.Coaching is close but there is no substitute for experience.Overall I give the Pirates a slight edge because they are at home,where they are hard to beat.

Some of the best post players I have seen at the small school level were between 6'2" and 6'4".  They will more times than not be able to dominate a 6'7" guy in the paint.  This is not always the case but the majority of the time, the 6'3" guys have much better footwork than the big guys and are much bigger.  If a coach is good and he has a 6'2" post against a 6'7" post he will run a quickset to the smaller post pulling the big post away from the rim and the 6'2" player will take him to the basket.  Now if the 6'7" guy can really play he will have the advantage due to height. 

The Rebels are now 8-6 on the season and have played well against all but HJ in their tournament. They have one more game before taking a break for the holidays but with the schedule they have played even with a loss to Kountze (which is not a given) this team will still be no worse than 8-7 before they open presents.

They are gelling well as a team and their defense is improving every game. Rotations are starting to get settled and each time they are on the floor after they have gotten some practice in thy look better. I believe that they have a bright future and will make some noise in this years playoffs.

[quote name="whsalum" post="935562" timestamp="1292650110"]
Wha's wrong with Whittacre,Spurger won't be anywhere near their best without him.
[/quote] They said that George took an elbow to the chest Thur. against B City, and he had pain whenever he raised his arms. Dont realy know what to think about this game. At the 2 min. mark of the 4 qr Evadale had a 20 point lead, then pulled the starters out. But with out George playing they did not see the real Spurger team. But I dont think he would have made a 20 point difference, so I dont know if Evadale is better than some people think or Spurger is not as strong as some thought. I do think both teams will represent there dist. in the playoff well. Good luck to all the fokes in Spurger and hope George gets well soon.

Whittacre is every bit a twenty point difference if not more.Everything they do this year starts with him.McGallion is a very good ballplayer but without Whittacre it severely limits what they can do offensivley. Net I was very impressed with #3 for the Rebels,if they get him an open look he will drain it.

You are right about #3 shooting the open shoot, but this team runs through their three big Srs. they combined for 18 boards and 30 points, and dominated the paint. At this point Evadale has played 14 games, 12 of those have been against larger schools. The 2 1a schools have been Caugua, defending 1a state champs and runner up state champions Spurger. They play Caugua to a 9 point lost and they beat Spurger soundly. I think some people that were doubting them at the start of this year might wont to take another look.

I wouldn't put much stock in the win over Spurger minus Whittacre.Evadale has a nice inside out game with #32 and #3.The games that I've seen them play #32 has been the key to what they do from beating the pressure to kicking the ball out to the shooter.The blonde headed post player and #21 are good role players.They have a very good coach but have asome holes that will limit how far they advance in the post season.

[quote name="whsalum" post="936197" timestamp="1292786639"]
I wouldn't put much stock in the win over Spurger minus Whittacre.Evadale has a nice inside out game with #32 and #3.The games that I've seen them play #32 has been the key to what they do from beating the pressure to kicking the ball out to the shooter.The blonde headed post player and #21 are good role players.They have a very good coach but have asome holes that will limit how far they advance in the post season.
[/quote] You must have seen games early this year  because# 43,32, 21 are all with in 10 points  and 10 rebounds of each other. So with all of them on the court at the same time they are aver. 29 ppg thats going to be hard to stop. But the hole that you are refering to is the point guard, they  still have problems with teams that press the ball in the back court, but their working on that with a new line up. We will  see how far they have come this Tues when the play Kountze for the 2 time, they had their hands full the first time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Wildcats92
    Newest Member
    Wildcats92