Lamar vs Canisisius..And Yes LU Loses!!!

I would be willing to give Abetemarco a second chance, but I think Lamar needs to look to lower division coaches that have proved to be succesful.  If you look at D-1 coaches what does Lamar have to offer, a one and done conference and probably no better salary.  Want to say I heard during the ULL half time that they are paying Marlin significantly more than we are paying any of our coaches in any sport.

[quote name="geezer" post="937741" timestamp="1293111307"]
I would be willing to give Abetemarco a second chance, but I think Lamar needs to look to lower division coaches that have proved to be succesful.  If you look at D-1 coaches what does Lamar have to offer, a one and done conference and probably no better salary.  Want to say I heard during the ULL half time that they are paying Marlin significantly more than we are paying any of our coaches in any sport.
[/quote]

Here's what UL-L is reportedly paying Marlin:

[quote]UL, a program rich in tradition but one that has been mostly lifeless over the past decade, gave him 300,000 reasons to make the move. UL officials wouldn’t divulge exact terms of Marlin’s five-year contract as basketball coach, but it has been reported to include almost $200,000 in university salary and a $100,000 supplement from the Ragin’ Cajun Athletic Foundation.[/quote]

I doubt Lamar can afford that.  Woodard makes less than that.  I have no confidence that Lamar will find a coach that can win.

Don Skelton!

Since he left town the offense has been non-exisitent. He left because he couldn't deal with Roc. The guy has been a very successful HC in the JC ranks turning the NW Miss Program into a regular title contender, then when he left NWM they dropped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night Brazier scored everytime they got him the ball down low. He was way to quick for there inside game and Minor was shooting bullets from outside, yet with 3 minutes left in the game they were both sitting on the bench. Brazier finally comes in at about the 2 minute mark and Minor never saw the floor again? Go figure.

Start the game and the 5 guys on the floor don't produce we get in a early 8 point hole, but we finish the half hot with Brazier and Minor on the floor. so he starts the second half with the same 5 that started the game and bam back in the hole again!!!

[quote name="badndn" post="937749" timestamp="1293114015"]
Don Skelton!

Since he left town the offense has been non-exisitent. He left because he couldn't deal with Roc. The guy has been a very successful HC in the JC ranks turning the NW Miss Program into a regular title contender, then when he left NWM they dropped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night Brazier scored everytime they got him the ball down low. He was way to quick for there inside game and Minor was shooting bullets from outside, yet with 3 minutes left in the game they were both sitting on the bench. Brazier finally comes in at about the 2 minute mark and Minor never saw the floor again? Go figure.

Start the game and the 5 guys on the floor don't produce we get in a early 8 point hole, but we finish the half hot with Brazier and Minor on the floor. so he starts the second half with the same 5 that started the game and bam back in the hole again!!!
[/quote]

Latest bio on Don Skelton:

[quote]Junior college coaching veteran Don "Bubba" Skelton returns for his third season as head men's basketball coach at Jones County Junior College.
In his first season in 2008-09, Skelton piloted the Bobcats to a 24-5 record and their first MACJC state championship since the 1945-46 season. It was the fifth overall state championship for the Bobcats. The Bobcats, who also won the MACJC South Division crown, advanced to the Region 23 Tournament and were ranked as high as No. 19 in the nation at one point.
Skelton was named the MACJC Co-Coach of the Year for his success that season.
Last year, the Bobcats compiled a 17-10 record and advanced to the semifinals of the Region 23 Tournament.
Skelton came to Jones after two years as an assistant coach at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. The Cardinals went 19-11 and tied for the Southland Conference crown in his final season at Lamar.[/quote]

http://www.jcjc.edu/athletics/basketball/menbasketballcoaches.html

Is it any coincidence that after he left Lamar the team hasn't made it to the SLC tourney?

Ronnie Arrow at South Alabama (and previously A&M CC) was a successful JUCO coach that's had good success at the D1 level.

Price isn't the answer (please no...he was forced out after an affair with a student at Memphis and then was fired at McNeese after 5 years of basically .500 winning percentage). Neither is digging up Abetamarco. Would've loved to have had Marlin as his SHSU teams consistently were better coached over the years than us as well as most other SLC teams. $300K/yr over 5 years probably rules him out. I predict he'll turn the program around at ULL. Billy Gillispie still needs a job, right? Maybe a return to college coaching in Texas after his rehab stint would be appealing to him, though probably not at Roc's salary. I do think its time for Roc to leave, but I'm certainly not mad at him. I was pulling hard for him as an alum...and I still hope that perhaps he can miraculously turn things around; but frankly, my mind was made up sitting in the stands at Rice and watched us totally collapse in the final minutes after leading almost the whole game. We haven't played a good half of basketball since then.

I was at the Rice game too and know what you mean. I have been a Roc supporter from day one but he just isn't getting the job done. I've listened to his radio shows and he'll say one thing about a player. Something like this; Dave Hoffeth, "Can you tell us about Mike James and his abilities?" Roc, "Mike can lead a team at the PG position and have 6-8 assist or if we need he is capable of scoring 35 points. He is a very talented player."

Then at the next game he plays 8 minutes! Anthony Miles has played here for 3 years now. We have missed the SLC tournament twice and are 5-6 this year. Maybe give another player the opportunity to lead the team. Then Tremell Adams scored 31 and 38 points in two scrimmages and he either isn't playing at all or he is getting less than 10 minutes.

I'm not a real knowledgeable basketball fan but I'm told a scorer needs to get into a rhythm. How is that possible when a guy makes a shot then the coaching staff makes a substitution for the very player who just scored.

There is no reason to have lost to Rice. We play for 40 minutes and we win that game. Then ULL was 1-8 with a loss to Texas College and we blow a 11 point first half lead. However, at half we still lead by 3. Then to be honest, I didn't even listen to the Canisius game. The fun of watching or listening to this team is gone for me.

I wish the players and coaches the best but I'm tired of watching a losing product on the court.

I think Roc want to not show what we have for conference.  He wants to surprise our competition ;)

I liked it better when there was no defense......just shot, it was more fun to watch maybe we will be hotter them and win.

At the beginning of this season the team had the swagger you like to see.  Roc has taken the spirit out of them with his psychotic rants.  After the last open practice, which we saw was a electrifying scoring affair he had the team do suicide sprints.  We were slow about getting out of there and did not like what I saw. I kind of passed it off as just being a coach. But you get enough of that and you get negative results

[quote name="puddin tane" post="937981" timestamp="1293164626"]
play your best 5...then send in a nicky snell to give one a breather...just cuz ya got 12 suited dont mean you gotta play em all
[/quote]And you would think it is that simple. But for whatever reasons, some coaches can't figure it out. Maybe thats why they make terrible coaches.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43