School Sued Over Haircut Policy

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="942094" timestamp="1294177828"]
Quite sure that if any of the two disgruntled Silsbee parents decide to sue, their case will likely be thrown out also. ;)

It's a priviledge, not a constitutional right to play on a basketball team.

<clears throat>
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name="24 over par" post="942630" timestamp="1294235997"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=78251.msg942094#msg942094 date=1294177828]
Quite sure that if any of the two disgruntled Silsbee parents decide to sue, their case will likely be thrown out also. ;)

It's a priviledge, not a constitutional right to play on a basketball team.

<clears throat>
[/quote]amen
[/quote]
I 2nd that

I agree that it is the coach's team and he makes all the rules, but it is the kids hair. If he wants to have it a certain way and it isn't a major distraction, then let him. If it doesn't impact his performance, then I don't see a problem. But the main rule in a basketball program is that the coach is in charge, and what he says goes, but at the same time, having some respect for the kids and their choice of hair style.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="943100" timestamp="1294280874"]
I agree that it is the coach's team and he makes all the rules, but it is the kids hair. If he wants to have it a certain way and it isn't a major distraction, then let him. If it doesn't impact his performance, then I don't see a problem. But the main rule in a basketball program is that the coach is in charge, and what he says goes, but at the same time, having some respect for the kids and their choice of hair style.
[/quote] 8) 8)

[quote name="dogs1218" post="943100" timestamp="1294280874"]
[/quote]

i think if the hair is in compliance with the school dress/hair policy it's fine. If the coach wants it otherwise he should push for an "athletics/basketball hair clause" in the school handbook. That'd take all the guesswork out of it and cover his tail a little.

But, on the other hand, the guys in plants forego the facial hair to keep their job, so what's the big deal about cutting your do to play bball?

[quote name="dayton" post="943208" timestamp="1294322392"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78251.msg943100#msg943100 date=1294280874]
[/quote]

[b]i think if the hair is in compliance with the school dress/hair policy it's fine. If the coach wants it otherwise he should push for an "athletics/basketball hair clause" in the school handbook. That'd take all the guesswork out of it and cover his tail a little.[/b]

But, on the other hand, the guys in plants forego the facial hair to keep their job, so what's the big deal about cutting your do to play bball?
[/quote]Nice point!

Guest speechless
silsbee does have policy in place

been in place since coach williams started there

they started enforcing it at the junior high this year and it is a board approved policy

athletics is a privelege(sp?) and not a right

most schools have athletic policies that hold student athletes to higher standard than the regular school codes

[quote name="speechless" post="943217" timestamp="1294323543"]
silsbee does have policy in place

been in place since coach williams started there

they started enforcing it at the junior high this year [b]and it is a board approved policy[/b]

athletics is a privelege(sp?) and not a right

most schools have athletic policies that hold student athletes to higher standard than the regular school codes
[/quote]

good on the bolded part... that's the key in my opinion. If it's board approved, it needs to be in the handbook if it's not already. That way when somebody questions it, they can just say "handbook!"

Athletes should be held to higher standards IMO as well, but everything's gotta be PC these days. I don't necessarily care for it, but if that's they way it is.... So, just take the steps to cover yourself and let the yahoos rant.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham