Lamar vs. McNeese Updates..Cowboys Win!!!!!!!!!

Not calling for Roc to be fired, but can anyone explain why Devon Lamb played the first ten minutes of the 2nd half during which LU built up a seven to nine point lead went out still playing well and never came back in?  Personally I like Coy Custer and think he does better than given credit for but when Harper got hurt it was the perfect time to bring Lamb and his energy back at least for a few minutes.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="947266" timestamp="1294892448"]
Also want to say Lazeek it was great to meet you. Hope to talk to you more as the season moves on.
[/quote]

I will be at most of the remaining games..........show up happy and leave pissed off most likely!!! :D :D :D

Need my kid to be picked to do something at half!!!! ;) ;) ;)

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="947286" timestamp="1294893765"]
I tried already! He told me no! ;D but honestly, how many chances can we blow to win a game?
[/quote]

There is a very good chance that LU will blow many more leads this season...........7-8 so far.......HOW PATHETIC!!!!

Last night Lamar got beat by the better team. Go look at the stats for proof. Lamar had no business winning that game. McNeese shot better from the floor, shot better from behind the line, shot better from the charity stripe and rebounded better. They also made clutch FTs and our top FT shooter choked! Also McNeese made shot after shot with a hand in their face. When was the last time Lamar did that against a DI team?

As far as Lamb goes I have to agree that when Harper went out I figured either Lamb or Nelson would come in. Coy had the one put back, but he had several other big blunders. The problem with Lamb late in close games is he shoots just over 50% from the line. His game is getting to the basket and those guys usually shoot well from the line.

[quote name="bigred360" post="947331" timestamp="1294926383"]
[b]Roc is so hard headed he doesn't even start a player who scored 52 in a game this year.[/b] ::) He had no clue on his in game rotation! Coach Tidwell 7-8 is unacceptable with 4 of the wins against non DI schools!
[/quote]
Go look at his stats last night! He played 10 minutes too many.

This team doesn't hav a consitent scorer!!!

[quote name="bigred360" post="947430" timestamp="1294933822"]
Well, he scored 22 against UCA and was the SLC POW so he needs to get into a rhythm. He is at least as good a Miles and Harris.
[/quote]
He had ample opps last night to get into a rythm he just had a bad game. I guess the question I ask you guys is if he is getting 20+ minutes a night off the bench, what difference does it make if he starts or not? Pretty sure the game is still a full 40 Minutes. Basketball is the one sport where starting is overated. It's finishing that is most important...Ask McNeese! ;)

It was Shaq that once said he only watches the last 2 minutes of most games when he is not playing because the other 46 are pointless. (In A roundabout way).

Again last night McNeese was better than Lamar. And just watching them throughout the night I would feel very confident in saying that McNeese will win the SLC East.

Man, I didn't go to the game as I had to work so I don't know if James played well or not. I don't know about you but I didn't like coming off the bench in any sport I played. Didn't play BB in high school.

Would Mike Olliver come of the bench and spell Terry Long? Sorry, but you start your best 5 players. It is not just getting into a rhythm but confidence as well.

Then you might have a deep bench but the majority of minutes goes to the Top 7-8 guys.

Allen Iverson might not be the most popular player to ever play in the NBA but he cared about starting.

Honestly, please list a few players who you know would rather come off the bench than be a starter?

Finishing falls on the COACH, as he should have the right players in the game and playing the right schemes to WIN THE GAME.

[quote name="bigred360" post="947469" timestamp="1294937272"]
Finishing falls on the COACH, as he should have the right players in the game and playing the right schemes to WIN THE GAME.
[/quote]

Mike James was on the court to finish the game. While I agree it is time for Roc to go, Roc didn't miss two FT's with 11 seconds left down one!!! Milk did, and he is our best FT shooter. And the play they ran out of the TO that got Milk to the FT line was designed to be for MJ, but he couldn't get open. Roc also didn't turn the ball over three times late in the game...They lost last night because they didn't execute, not because they were outcoached! McNeese is just better than us. McNeese made shot after shot with a hand in their face. We haven't had anyone that could do that consitently since AD left.

The only thing I thought Roc screwed up on last night was putting Coy in when Harper got injured. I would have gone with Lamb or Nelson. Of course Lamb would have probably had to have come out near the 2:00 minute mark anyway since he is such a poor FT shooter.

[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78642.msg947469#msg947469 date=1294937272]
I don't know about you but I didn't like coming off the bench in any sport I played. Didn't play BB in high school.
[/quote]
Again BB is different than any other sport. The sixth man can play more than the starters. Especially as a gaurd on a team that starts three gaurds sometimes four. Lots of available PT. Mcneese did a good job of disrupting James last night. His only FG came off of a steal and he dunked it home. I was dissapointed in him when his first shot he took was from beyond the Cardinal Logo!!! No reason for that shot. I am sure it didn't sit well with the staff either. Then late in the game he made a poor decision and committed a TO at mid court, then compounded it by fouling the guy (the guy didn't have an open look at the basket so no reason to foul).

So name a few college or pro players you've heard of wanting to come off the bench. If McNeese is better than Lamar as a basketball team, I'm sorry but Roc recruited these players so it still falls back on him. Believe me, I've given Roc 100% support until this year and I waited until after the 12th game to state an opinion of Coach Roc and his coaching abilities.

Playing at home, McNeese should not have been close enough for two missed FT's to make a difference. I didn't see the game last night but I've been to or listened to at least 4 games Lamar was ahead by double digits and lost the game.

It is time for a new Head Coach for the Lamar Men's basketball team. 

Jason Terry! Who by the way Mike James is very much like (6'2", fast with the ball, streaky shooter who can go off for 50 one night then go 0-10 the next, average on-ball defender who will get his share of steals because of his quickness).

Go check the NBA there is an annual award for it.

You and I agree on one thing for sure...It is time for a change at the top of the LU Basketball program. While too many games the past few years I could lay blame on Roc for a second half meltdown, I just can't blame Roc for the loss to McNeese. He didn't commit those stupid turnovers down the stretch (they were not due to a poor playcall as several were before the ball was across mid court) and he didn't miss FT's down the stretch. Actually both plays out of the time outs at the end worked! Milk got fould amd Missed GW FT's and Davis missed an open look at the buzzer.

I know about the NBA 6th man award but at Lamar there is no 6th man as on day it is one player then the next it's another.

badnadn, I'm sure you know more about basketball than myself. But, it only takes an average fan to see changes need to be made at the Head Coaching position at Lamar University.

[quote name="bigred360" post="948082" timestamp="1295027339"]
I know about the NBA 6th man award but at Lamar there is no 6th man as on day it is one player then the next it's another.
[/quote]
At Lamar it's Mike James and he seems to like the role. I like his attitude about being the first guy off the bench. He said that he gets to watch what is happening the first few minutes and has a good feel for what the team needs from him when he gets in the game. Good stuff. I noticed he was sitting next to Roc during the first few minutes of the McNeese game talking about what they were seeing McNeese do. I like that.

[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78642.msg948082#msg948082 date=1295027339]
badnadn, I'm sure you know more about basketball than myself. But, it only takes an average fan to see changes need to be made at the Head Coaching position at Lamar University.
[/quote]
Like I said before, this we both agree on. Rocs not a X's and O's guy and you need that in your HC at this level since you A.) aren't recruitinf future NBA prospects and B.) can't have 10 coaches on staff or keep good X's and O's coaches for long.

The plays in the last two minutes could have worked out and Lamar could have won, but the coaching that might have made those plays unnecessary were from the 10 minute mark until the two minute mark.  That is when we lost the lead.  Won't argue that Custer is a better free thorw shooter than Lamb, but we built the lead with Lamb and maybe we could have expanded it before it got to crunch time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham