Lamar offensive coordinator looking to diversify attack

I thought Kevin Smith showed promise in last's years spring game and thought he would have been the better option for the inaugural season.  That said, Bevil had some really good games early but faded during the season.  Lamar probably only needs 4 Qb's with only about 80 kids on the roster.  I assume that Prewitt, Johnson & Smith would make up three of those.

I don't want to harang Whitten.  We may find out that once the O-line improves and he has more weapons, that the offense will indeed flourish.

Lord, how many times did I say we had to do both; run and pass the football and be diverse on offense. JJ, you need to get a printed copy of the BMT Enterprise for the full story.

Now that we have some depth in the O-line and I've heard the QB's will be more involved in the running game we should do alot better rushing the ball than last year.

[quote name="bigred360" post="963775" timestamp="1297294584"]
[b]Lord, how many times did I say we had to do both; run and pass the football and be diverse on offense. [/b]JJ, you need to get a printed copy of the BMT Enterprise for the full story.

Now that we have some depth in the O-line and I've heard the QB's will be more involved in the running game we should do alot better rushing the ball than last year.
[/quote]

You and just about everyone on this board. If Whitten is anything like the Whitten I know, you'll be in for a few long seasons. He'll run the ball more, but he'll run it at the wrong times. It's embarrassingly bad. 3rd and 13, let's run a draw play. 1st and Goal from the 1 (and subsequently 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th), his play calls are toss right, toss left, play action fade, toss right.

There is going to be running our of the shotgun and the pistol  ;D. I went to practice a couple of days ago and the QB's are running the option from both formations.

Please don't get me depressed as I've been having a good day up to now. Lord I've read he is a pretty good OC on katfans so I hope that is true.

[quote name="bigred360" post="963785" timestamp="1297296470"]
There is going to be running our of the shotgun and the pistol  ;D. I went to practice a couple of days ago and the QB's are running the option from both formations.

Please don't get me depressed as I've been having a good day up to now. Lord I've read he is a pretty good OC on katfans so I hope that is true.
[/quote]

Haha, stay happy, it'll be better than last season. That's just his thing, he's not very creative. The pistol formation was the hot formation last year, hell, even we ran it. Just like 2-3 years ago, it was the Wildcat, but Arkansas was doing it before. I think TW is catching the pistol train in it's last years of effectiveness.

I'm excited to see what new formation pops up in the next year or two.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="963742" timestamp="1297290589"]
I thought Kevin Smith showed promise in last's years spring game and thought he would have been the better option for the inaugural season.  That said, Bevil had some really good games early but faded during the season.  Lamar probably only needs 4 Qb's with only about 80 kids on the roster.  I assume that Prewitt, Johnson & Smith would make up three of those.

I don't want to harang Whitten.  We may find out that once the O-line improves and he has more weapons, that the offense will indeed flourish.
[/quote]

prewitt, bevil and johnson better bulk up they plan on running the option..aint hi school no more...smith's the only one over 180#..we may need 6 qbs they run em too much!  Tatum is big, but i think his futere as a qb is all but gone

if I was dim whitten, I wouldnt have bought a house..........

[quote name="puddin tane" post="963919" timestamp="1297313346"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=80065.msg963742#msg963742 date=1297290589]

[/quote]

prewitt, bevil and johnson better bulk up they plan on running the option..aint hi school no more...[b]smith's the only one over 180#[/b]..we may need 6 qbs they run em too much!  Tatum is big, but i think his futere as a qb is all but gone

[/quote]

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but Jeremy Johnson does not weigh less than 180. JJ is officially 188lbs., according to him personally.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="963997" timestamp="1297349778"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=80065.msg963919#msg963919 date=1297313346]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=80065.msg963742#msg963742 date=1297290589]

[/quote]

prewitt, bevil and johnson better bulk up they plan on running the option..aint hi school no more...[b]smith's the only one over 180#[/b]..we may need 6 qbs they run em too much!  Tatum is big, but i think his futere as a qb is all but gone

[/quote]

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but Jeremy Johnson does not weigh less than 180. JJ is officially 188lbs., according to him personally.
[/quote]I don't know either Aggie. Time will tell what the the Cardinals will do this season. I wish my Cardinals well, whoever is at QB when the season starts.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="963997" timestamp="1297349778"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

simple..I asked him..said 182..so, let me rephrase for you Aggie.."Smith's the only one over 182"---those 2 pounds make ya feel better?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="964437" timestamp="1297405773"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=80065.msg963997#msg963997 date=1297349778]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

simple..I asked him..said 182..so, let me rephrase for you Aggie.."Smith's the only one over 182"---those 2 pounds make ya feel better?
[/quote]No because He can do whatever needs to be done at 180 or 182 0r 188 0r ????. Coming from a proud dad. Like I said before whoever is at Qb on day one, when the season starts I'll be still cheering for my Lamar Cardinals to win. 

Way to stay classy on here BKJ885 as I'm not sure I would do the same if someone was talking about my son.

Thing is Puddin, thinks the only way Lamar can win is to chuck it deep. There is no need of a running game or to be balanced offensively. Or to help the defense out by not going three and out every series with all three plays passes.  ::)

I do agree with him as there need to be an open competitive for the QB position. But it's going to come down to Johnson or Smith. Sorry Prewitt, Johnson is too athletic and Smith has a better arm.

BTW Puddin, Lamar is going to use a little option this year on offense.  8)

[quote name="bigred360" post="964654" timestamp="1297453511"]
Way to stay classy on here BKJ885 as I'm not sure I would do the same if someone was talking about my son.

Thing is Puddin, thinks the only way Lamar can win is to chuck it deep. There is no need of a running game or to be balanced offensively. Or to help the defense out by not going three and out every series with all three plays passes.  ::)

I do any with him there need to be an open competitive for the QB position but it's going to come down to Johnson or Smith. Sorry Prewitt, Johnson is to athletic and Smith has a better arm.

BTW Puddin, Lamar is going to use a little option this year on offense.  8)
[/quote]

True 360 but Prewitt has the team behind him, the experience, and the it factor to get it done. I wouldn't count him out yet.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="964677" timestamp="1297456457"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=80065.msg964654#msg964654 date=1297453511]

Thing is Puddin, thinks the only way Lamar can win is to chuck it deep. There is no need of a running game or to be balanced offensively. Or to help the defense out by not going three and out every series with all three plays passes.  ::)

I do any with him there need to be an open competitive for the QB position but it's going to come down to Johnson or Smith. Sorry Prewitt, Johnson is to athletic and Smith has a better arm.

[/quote]

True 360 but Prewitt has the team behind him, the experience, and the it factor to get it done. I wouldn't count him out yet.
[/quote]

Things will work out during these spring (winter) drills and the cream will rise to the top. I've got my money on Johnson because of the fact they are going to use the option as part of the offense. But, if in the end Prewitt is the starter I'll be cheering for him because the team is more important than one player as that guy is one injury away from coming out of the game.

[quote name="bigred360" post="964681" timestamp="1297457607"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=80065.msg964677#msg964677 date=1297456457]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=80065.msg964654#msg964654 date=1297453511]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Things will work out during these spring (winter) drills and the cream will rise to the top. I've got my money on Johnson because of the fact they are going to use the option as part of the offense. But, if in the end Prewitt is the starter I'll be cheering for him because the team is more important than one player as that guy is one injury away from coming out of the game.
[/quote]You are on point. The team is the most important factor in the equation. I'm just glad that each of these young men decided to play for LU. But I don't think we have heard the last of the negative comments. Some people get a kick out of making controversy.

[quote name="bigred360" post="964654" timestamp="1297453511"]

Thing is Puddin, thinks the only way Lamar can win is to chuck it deep. There is no need of a running game or to be balanced offensively. Or to help the defense out by not going three and out every series with all three plays passes.  ::)

I do agree with him as there need to be an open competitive for the QB position. But it's going to come down to Johnson or Smith. Sorry Prewitt, Johnson is too athletic and Smith has a better arm.

BTW Puddin, Lamar is going to use a little option this year on offense.  8)
[/quote]

what did i say bad about his kid in that post?  that he weighed 182 instead of 188?  That 180 is a little light for college football option? [u][b]That statement applies to Bevil, Prewitt, Johnson..--[/b][/u]all three...

get a grip

As for [b]chunking[/b] it deep, thats been my main complaint about whitten..he never works the middle of the field...i dont think he has quick slants in the playbook

And yes, passing is the great equalizer between less talented teams and teams with talent.  Why were we fairly successful this year?  sure wasnt the run..yeah, i'd love to see a burton murchison put up 200+ yds..but that takes time..aint gonna happen with a first year program

this past season, my 3 passes gave you a chance..your 3 runs netted 3 yds total.

you see the pass Prewitt threw into the wind against SD, got LU out of a big hole ..kid's got more arm than you think..24-29 in windy conditions, 1st home start... and you're ready to throw him under the bus

but , unlike you and your sources and crystal balls...I have no clue as to who will be the starting qb..all i know is they have a pretty good bunch to choose from.

Puddin, don't have a heart attack here.  ;D I agree the passing game gave Lamar a chance to score when the running game averaged 2.2 yards per carry.

The problem with only passing is if you can't move the ball thru the air than you leave more time on the clock for the other offense.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus. Do you think he would be the only player who might lose their starting position this season? I agree we have a prettty good bunch to choose from.

There will be at least 2 and probably 3 on the offensive line. Don't you care about those guys too?

I just want Lamar to line up with the best 22 starters we have and cheer them on to have a great season.

[quote name="bigred360" post="965275" timestamp="1297535413"]
Puddin, don't have a heart attack here.  ;D I agree the passing game gave Lamar a chance to score when the running game averaged 2.2 yards per carry.

The problem with only passing is if you can't move the ball thru the air than you leave more time on the clock for the other offense.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus. Do you think he would be the only player who might lose their starting position this season? I agree we have a prettty good bunch to choose from.

There will be at least 2 and probably 3 on the offensive line. Don't you care about those guys too?

I just want Lamar to line up with the best 22 starters we have and cheer them on to have a great season.
[/quote]

I care about em all...but unlike most of y'all, I think we should have competition for starting jobs..not just give the qb to MR X, rb to MR Y.
I think woodard sees it that way also. 

Well, I know how I feel and I also believe I've stated EVERY POSITION should be up for the taking. Not just the QB but the RB, O line, WR's, D line, LB's, DB's, deep snapper, kicker, punter. That should cover everyone.

Agree, I think if my job is on the line I'm starting the BEST PLAYERS I've got at every position. This isn't PEE WEE football where the parents come and ask the coach every week why little Johnny isn't playing more.

We are talking about a college football team at the FCS level. That is only behind the FBS level as the highest level of college football that can be played in the NCAA.

I agree with both of you I think the best way to get the best out of your players is making them earn and keep their starting spot. And as a coach if you don't want your best players on the field then you have no business being a coach at this level or any level for that matter. (I'm not saying Woodard is like this)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham