Hardin-Jefferson vs. Navasota Game Thread/Navasota advances

WOSgrad

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="968695" timestamp="1298093187"]
Navasota was the third place team of their district, I don't think coming in second or first has a disadvantage...Navasota is just always good!!
[/quote]
You should have seen how good the first place team from that district was (Giddings).

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="968830" timestamp="1298136862"]
Does that new coach over there have what it takes? Good assistants don't always make good head coaches
[/quote]

I hope you aren't referring to Coach Davis.... In her 2 years, she is 61-12 ans 20-0 in district.  She is one of the best head coaches in the state.

Just the way the bracket falls sometimes, not saying second is the easiest route every year. I do know that in 2007 we came in second and really did not face a solid team until the regional tournament. Correct me if I am wrong Hawk but the same can be said for HJ in 2008. Yes, the regional quarterfinals was a little stiffer but the win was never really in doubt.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="968830" timestamp="1298136862"]
Does that new coach over there have what it takes? Good assistants don't always make good head coaches
[/quote]

Everyone has the right to post their opinion.  But, this is about as STUPID as it gets.

[quote name="hjhawks" post="968837" timestamp="1298137346"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=80502.msg968830#msg968830 date=1298136862]
[/quote]

I hope you aren't referring to Coach Davis.... In her 2 years, she is 61-12 ans 20-0 in district.  She is one of the best head coaches in the state.
[/quote]Up by 12 with 3mins to go. Wouldnt most coaches agree to stall the ball. Hj didnt and it cost them the ball game

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="968716" timestamp="1298096389"]
[quote author=TheRef link=topic=80502.msg968707#msg968707 date=1298095252]
Turnover turnover turnover and bad decision making!
[/quote]Can you elaborate?
[/quote]Yes I can to many turnovers coming from bad decision making! Navasota won the game because they were able to pressure our girls into making bad decisions which led to turnovers and Navasota capitalized on those turnovers. You can make all kinds of excuses and blame people associated with the team like the coaches or certain girls on the team, but when it comes down to it we turned the ball over to many times and Navasota capitalized by making points. Lady Hawks excellent season with a lot of talent coming back next year! Congradulations on winning district I am proud of you!

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="968996" timestamp="1298154849"]
I don't care how good a coach is in the regular season. It is all about what they do in the playoffs. I do not know who the coaches are or anything about them. Just seems to me that if this team is 'solid' as one poster said then they should have got past the second round.
[/quote]

Wrong, there are several solid teams that get sent home after the second round of the playoffs.

[quote name="Malcolm X" post="968962" timestamp="1298150240"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=80502.msg968837#msg968837 date=1298137346]
[/quote]

[/quote]Up by 12 with 3mins to go. Wouldnt most coaches agree to stall the ball. Hj didnt and it cost them the ball game
[/quote]

It is easy to sit up in the stands and say " what could, should and would have happened". But until you have actually been there you really can't say anything. It is not easy coaching, I have a lot of respect for those guys and ladies. Most people think their job is easy, I mean no school during the summer but I promise you the hours they put in during the school year if you based it on a hourly scale you will find out they work for less than most. Reading most of the post this year on HJ, they were not a real good freethrow shooting team. How do you know the results if they stalled would be any different? You don't and nobody does. It is easy for a parent or fan to second guess, a coach does not have that luxury. By the way I am not a coach but a parent who appreciates what these coaches and teachers do for our young people.

I have probably watches as much basket ball as anyone in this area over the past 35 years and I can promise you the coaching at HJ is as good as you'll find in the high school game.Coach Davis puts the girls in position to be successful, it's up to them to execute.Sometimes 15 year old kids execute and sometimes they don't but in this case the coach does all she can do.

[quote name="whsalum" post="969149" timestamp="1298173099"]
I have probably watches as much basket ball as anyone in this area over the past 35 years and I can promise you the coaching at HJ is as good as you'll find in the high school game.Coach Davis puts the girls in position to be successful, it's up to them to execute.Sometimes 15 year old kids execute and sometimes they don't but in this case the coach does all she can do.
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name="Malcolm X" post="968962" timestamp="1298150240"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=80502.msg968837#msg968837 date=1298137346]
[/quote]

[/quote]Normally, I'd agree with this statement, especially with the guard that HJ has (Fontenot).  Very good ball handler.

But what if you are shooting 30% from the free-throw line.... I think that was what we shot vs. Orangefield in a late season game (5-17 going into the last minute).  If you stall the ball, you're going to have to hit those FT's.  What was HJ looking like at the line against Navasota?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham