Turgeon accepts Maryland job/ Who's the new A&M head coach?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1008153" timestamp="1304978645"]
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6515713&source=ESPNUHeadlines

Everyone else turned it down, hopefully Turgeon does too.
[/quote]

Word from inside A&M is that Mark will be taking the Maryland job.

Dove- Serious question. Do you think Turge is an elite coach?  It will be easier to recruit to Maryland, but it better be because I don't think Turge is a very good recruiter. He never really moved the program up from what Billy G. left and he never got the caliber players Billy G. got. Just my opinion. I would like to hear your opinion on this.By the way A&M was rock bottom bad when Billy G took over. Turge took over a program in very good shape.

[quote name="oldollie" post="1008329" timestamp="1305037011"]
Dove- Serious question. Do you think Turge is an elite coach?  It will be easier to recruit to Maryland, but it better be because I don't think Turge is a very good recruiter. He never really moved the program up from what Billy G. left and he never got the caliber players Billy G. got. Just my opinion. I would like to hear your opinion on this.By the way A&M was rock bottom bad when Billy G took over. Turge took over a program in very good shape.
[/quote]I was commenting with jest ;D From all indications, Turge is not a good recruiter. If he couldn't recruit in Texas, how in the #$%&^ can he recruit in that area? Too bad Shaka signed an extension at VCU. He could have wrecked some "havoc" at another neighboring school. :D ;)

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1008352" timestamp="1305039600"]
[quote author=oldollie link=topic=84107.msg1008329#msg1008329 date=1305037011]
[/quote]I was commenting with jest ;D From all indications, Turge is not a good recruiter. If he couldn't recruit in Texas, how in the #$%&^ can he recruit in that area? Too bad Shaka signed an extension at VCU. He could have wrecked some "havoc" at another neighboring school. :D ;)
[/quote]

Since when do college coaches concern themselves with the terms of their contracts?

The State of Texas will always be football first. Turgeon is going somewhere that basketball is appreciated. Cannot blame him for making that move.

[quote name="Year of the Pat!" post="1008380" timestamp="1305043718"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=84107.msg1008352#msg1008352 date=1305039600]
[/quote]

Since when do college coaches concern themselves with the terms of their contracts?

The State of Texas will always be football first. Turgeon is going somewhere that basketball is appreciated. Cannot blame him for making that move.

[/quote]If you get in a good recruiting class, basketball will begin to matter. Look at the Big 12 overall.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1008385" timestamp="1305044648"]
[quote author=Year of the Pat! link=topic=84107.msg1008380#msg1008380 date=1305043718]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=84107.msg1008352#msg1008352 date=1305039600]
[/quote]

[/quote]If you get in a good recruiting class, basketball will begin to matter. Look at the Big 12 overall.
[/quote]

Oh I think it matters, but it will never be what schools in Texas identify themselves with. The Big 12 is a football conference with some good basketball. The ACC is a basketball conference with some good football.

I would love to see the Aggies get Shaka!! Turge was always crying about not having 13,000 for a Tues. night game against Northeast southwest central Iowa Tech!! ;D  Maybe he will be happy in Maryland, but at a basketball school he better know, they won't be happy with only going to the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney!!

[quote name="oldollie" post="1008416" timestamp="1305047627"]
I would love to see the Aggies get Shaka!! Turge was always crying about not having 13,000 for a Tues. night game against Northeast southwest central Iowa Tech!! ;D  Maybe he will be happy in Maryland, but at a basketball school he better know, they won't be happy with only going to the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney!!
[/quote]I'd hate to see Shaka come to the wastelands of Aggieville.  :P

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Split Down The Bayou
    Newest Member
    Split Down The Bayou