Houston Yates continues to get those recr.... err transfers!

[quote name="mfd814" post="1044604" timestamp="1314705694"]
There is recruiting all over, that I do not dispute. A lot of transfers happened over the summer.      I"m just saying, these boys were not recruited by Yates.  There is a story, but I will not put it in print. Do private schools recruit? I heard Westbury Christian added a few horses to their stable.
[/quote]

But it is LEGAL for private schools to recruit. Transfers b/c parents move is a part of life. Moving to a school for athletic purposes is just plain wrong. And don't give me this silly story about communications, come on now (funny though). My great uncle moved (b4 school started) back in the 60s. His son who played 3 sports had to sit out his senior yr.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the coaches' name, I just don't know him personally, so i'm not gonna question his character.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1044495" timestamp="1314674840"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=87377.msg1044491#msg1044491 date=1314674452]
We all know that they did not end up at Yates by chance. Anyone who believes that is about as naive as you can be. You don't see a lot of 6'10" people who go to school for communication purposes. I'm not saying the coach himself is the one who is recruiting, b/c I don't know their coach, but someone could be doing it on his behalf. It sounds dirty to me. Again, when did HS basketball start becoming college programs by recruiting kids?
[/quote]

Yates high school basketball coach is none other than Greg Wise, Mr. AAU. He coaches an elite AAU team (of course none of those players on his AAU team play at Yates or that would be illegal ::)) but that doesn't keep him from............ ;) :D
[/quote]

I made the communications comment, because there are student there who go to that school for that reason.  Yates is not a bad school for a child to attend for other reasons besides basketball.  Rough area, Yes. scary to drive through it, but the kids there are not scary at all.

What, in your opinion, constitutes "rough"? Poverty stricken? No new development, except for the University? or is it the demographic? I have been over there millions of time and can you believe that, NOTHING has EVER happened to me? Go figure...Its not a "rough" area at all...Its an older, under developed area, that by the way has some MILLION DOLLAR homes located less than 2 miles away from that "rough" area...(MacGregor Area, Medical Center)...The Third Ward of Houston has some fascinating history behind it...which is where Yates HS is located...Do the research.

[quote name="Jay Bilas" post="1044706" timestamp="1314715176"]
What, in your opinion, constitutes "rough"? Poverty stricken? No new development, except for the University? or is it the demographic? I have been over there millions of time and can you believe that, NOTHING has EVER happened to me? Go figure...Its not a "rough" area at all...Its an older, under developed area, that by the way has some MILLION DOLLAR homes located less than 2 miles away from that "rough" area...(MacGregor Area, Medical Center)...The Third Ward of Houston has some fascinating history behind it...which is where Yates HS is located...Do the research.
[/quote]I don't mean to sound racist  ::) but if yall go down just a few blocks from J. Yates off Southmore Street, you will find white people walking their dogs and they live in the area. This area is not a mile from Jack Yates. Explore people-get out of S.E.Texas sometimes.

[quote name="Jay Bilas" post="1044706" timestamp="1314715176"]
[/quote]

I have no idea whether this particular area is rough or not.  However, the fact that you were never hurt does NOT, in any way, indicate the degree of "roughness" in that location. (and I suspect "being there millions of times" just might be a slight exaggeration)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1044749" timestamp="1314717972"]
[quote author=Jay Bilas link=topic=87377.msg1044706#msg1044706 date=1314715176]
[/quote]I don't mean to sound racist  ::) but if yall go down just a few blocks from J. Yates off Southmore Street, you will find white people walking their dogs and they live in the area. This area is not a mile from Jack Yates. Explore people-get out of S.E.Texas sometimes.
[/quote]

Dove reminds me of Jim McKay's monolog in ABC's Wide World of Sports:

"Spanning the globe to bring you a constant variety of sorts" (left the p out purposely ;D)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1044764" timestamp="1314718577"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=87377.msg1044749#msg1044749 date=1314717972]
[/quote]

"Spanning the globe to bring you a constant variety of sorts" (left the p out purposely ;D)
[/quote] :D You Silsbee people kill me!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1044765" timestamp="1314718667"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87377.msg1044764#msg1044764 date=1314718577]
[/quote]

[/quote]

While I normally would not be attending an Ozen game, it would be worth the trip if I knew that I would see AAW and Dove teaming up at the broadcast table.  If this becomes a reality, I hope somebody will let me know.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1044769" timestamp="1314718849"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=87377.msg1044765#msg1044765 date=1314718667]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=87377.msg1044764#msg1044764 date=1314718577]
[/quote]

[/quote]

While I normally would not be attending an Ozen game, it would be worth the trip if I knew that I would see AAW and Dove teaming up at the broadcast table.  If this becomes a reality, I hope somebody will let me know.
[/quote] Definitely would make his ratings soar and his popularity *sore* [size=18pt][/size] like a dove

Yes, it is IMO the area is rough, and I have been there countless times and never been injured, etc.    I am aware of the history of 3rd Ward as well.  But again it is still an opinion I have.  There are rough areas all over, with completely different demographic data. 

I lived in Houston for over 10 years, and I go there every week for business. Houston is very 'patchy'. You can have a $2M home on one street, walk 3-4 blocks, and have a 'rough patch'. The location where U of H sits is not considered to be one of the nicer parts of the city. I'm not 'dissin' the area, I'm just making an observation.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1044789" timestamp="1314719812"]
I lived in Houston for over 10 years, and I go there every week for business. Houston is very 'patchy'. You can have a $2M home on one street, walk 3-4 blocks, and have a 'rough patch'. The location where U of H sits is not considered to be one of the nicer parts of the city. I'm not 'dissin' the area, I'm just making an observation.
[/quote]Huh? You need to get off the main roads and see those homes. Been there for years.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1044749" timestamp="1314717972"]
[/quote] Some of those white people have bluedoves in there back yard.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats