FRED WILLIAMS CLASSIC update thread/All finals!!!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, will someone show me a stat for  for 'crossing over' and one for dunking?  Does crossing over equate 2 points? Is a dunk a 3 pointer or a 4 pointer?  Fact of the matter was Prudhomme was a man out there and did great things.  Took high percentage shots, crashed the boeards, played excellent defense, and made plays down the stretch for his team.  He also showed leadership to the young guns on the team by directing the underclassmen. H-J should be considered the best in SETX at this point.  This Central team have taken a lot from this game.  I just hope we come out and play like a hungry team the rest of the way, even perhaps a good showing in the YMBL tourney.  3rd place finish is a realistic ranking, I must say.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1130646" timestamp="1322278747"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=92211.msg1130606#msg date=1322277274]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92211.msg1129890#msg date=1322263061]
It's hard to call plays when your lips are sealed shut. No Timouts being called or nothing. We expect a dep playoff run and we're not even competing with a 3a school. I know H-J is good, but geesh, show some fire and urgency. Lets see what we'll do in the second half.
[/quote] A 3-A school. Sorry, but Central should be ashamed!
[/quote]We're not ashamed at all.  We'll be fine.  I just hope our staff will have a better game plan when we face another good team. We've done good.  Had it would have been anyone else, H-J would have probably beaten them by 30+ points.  They're that good.
[/quote]Well, this was the first basketball game i've attended in about 6 yrs.  I must say, I couldn't believe the silence on the jaguars bench. When I see a kid dunking at will, and one HJ fan yelling in our ears how our players have no heart...... >:( It could have gotten ugly. Thank God it didn't. Maturity was in the building.
Talent wise, noway this jag team should be dunked on that many times. coaching is nonexistent. Com'on MAN!!!! :( If you are on defense and you have no idea where the offensive player is, no block out. Guest what, you'll lose every time. Coaches that teach, teach. It reflects on the floor.
Now, please don't take this as a knock on Hj, deservingly they won. My knock is on the way our players are so not coached. They have potential only good coaching can help them be as successful as they can be.
HJ # 10 is a fast jumping beast  ;) The kid got skills. #20 for central could be on the same level if he would maintain his composure. He got caught up in the negatives. #25 for central started out slow but, was the only player competing in the 4th.
HJ is a well coached team. They really flow well and is technically sound. They were that team I'm speaking of.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1130832" timestamp="1322298952"]
So, will someone show me a stat for  for 'crossing over' and one for dunking?  Does crossing over equate 2 points? Is a dunk a 3 pointer or a 4 pointer?  Fact of the matter was Prudhomme was a man out there and did great things.  Took high percentage shots, crashed the boeards, played excellent defense, and made plays down the stretch for his team.  He also showed leadership to the young guns on the team by directing the underclassmen. H-J should be considered the best in SETX at this point.  This Central team have taken a lot from this game.  I just hope we come out and play like a hungry team the rest of the way, even perhaps a good showing in the YMBL tourney.  3rd place finish is a realistic ranking, I must say.
[/quote]Stats? Crossover, equates: dynamic dunk which equates 2 points. It ignites the crowd causing young players to get rattled mentally. The affect is crucial.
Teams that overcome this is well coached teams. The adult on the side line is supposed to call timeouts and defuse the effects.

We played H-J last year and #10 for them got probably the same amound of dunks.  I don't buy into that Dunk meter stuff.  I'm sorry.  Call me old school or whatever.  You dunk, and iLll beat you with a smooth layup or an open 3.  I bet the crowd or those excited players will sit down fast.  I do admit that our coach should have been more invilved or 'animated.  (see coach Travis Williams from Memorial). I do think we need timeouts when we have multiple turnovers that lead to multiple points.  I do think our best players need to be put in great positions to create havock on opposing teams.  I do see that #25 G. Mitchell is a good player and great athlete that can very well be another weapon if used correctly. Also, I think this team is good enoug to win our district.  This H-J team beat our defending district champs by 30. We do have one of the tallest teams from an average standpoint that I've seen in like a decade.  If we can find a really good guard and a few more shooters, we'll be ok.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1130897" timestamp="1322316288"]
We played H-J last year and #10 for them got probably the same amound of dunks.  I don't buy into that Dunk meter stuff.  I'm sorry.  Call me old school or whatever.  You dunk, and iLll beat you with a smooth layup or an open 3.  I bet the crowd or those excited players will sit down fast.  I do admit that our coach should have been more invilved or 'animated.  (see coach Travis Williams from Memorial). I do think we need timeouts when we have multiple turnovers that lead to multiple points.  I do think our best players need to be put in great positions to create havock on opposing teams.  I do see that #25 G. Mitchell is a good player and great athlete that can very well be another weapon if used correctly. Also, I think this team is good enoug to win our district.  This H-J team beat our defending district champs by 30. We do have one of the tallest teams from an average standpoint that I've seen in like a decade.  If we can find a really good guard and a few more shooters, we'll be ok.
[/quote]
Soulja1 where was the effort? i agree the coaching didnt help.... it just seem like HJ wanted more than the jags

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1130897" timestamp="1322316288"]
We played H-J last year and #10 for them got probably the same amound of dunks.  [b]I don't buy into that Dunk meter stuff[/b].  I'm sorry.  Call me old school or whatever.  You dunk, and iLll beat you with a smooth layup or an open 3.  I bet the crowd or those excited players will sit down fast.  I do admit that our coach should have been more invilved or 'animated.  (see coach Travis Williams from Memorial). I do think we need timeouts when we have multiple turnovers that lead to multiple points.  I do think our best players need to be put in great positions to create havock on opposing teams.  I do see that #25 G. Mitchell is a good player and great athlete that can very well be another weapon if used correctly. Also, I think this team is good enoug to win our district.  This H-J team beat our defending district champs by 30. We do have one of the tallest teams from an average standpoint that I've seen in like a decade.  If we can find a really good guard and a few more shooters, we'll be ok.
[/quote]In the situation we were in, the crossover on #20 made him put his head down. he answered with a flush of his own but, the damage was done. If he had more of a supporting cast as HJ's #10 he'd have responded better.
I've played ball and it does something to you if you don't settle down. Now, how do you settle down? Keep your focus. Keep the course if you are having some success, something we were not having. Technically we are not sound. Our interior players aren't drilled on block outs. Our guards play D too straight up. No reason #12 wasn't pick by our guards. They stand straight up on D. They move side to side barely bending their knees.
Good technic is bend knees, slap floor stay low. Shorter quicker players should win lower battles. you swipe enough balls it changes the way they play. We never contested their dribble. we didn't block out.
We didn't hit open shots. Some of our shots were rushed. #25 was the only player that kept his composer. Every one else even #20 lost their heads. #24 has a ton of potential, but. Our guards could be awesome but. #20 could have been a thorn for HJ, but.
I've watched a lot of basketball, and a dunk changes games at this level quicker than any other level. It does i must say depend on the coach being able to man and motivate his team. Make them understand those dunks are only worth two points. You gotta call a time out and calm the youngster if they look like deer staring in headlights as we were a few times.
#20 gotta get off to make the jags go. Central has to hit those open shot and free throws. My jags need work.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1130646" timestamp="1322278747"]
It's hard to call plays when your lips are sealed shut. No Timouts being called or nothing. We expect a dep playoff run and we're not even competing with a 3a school. I know H-J is good, but geesh, show some fire and urgency. Lets see what we'll do in the second half.
[/quote]We're not ashamed at all.  We'll be fine.  I just hope our staff will have a better game plan when we face another good team. We've done good.  Had it would have been anyone else, H-J would have probably beaten them by 30+ points.  They're that good.
[/quote]

Coaching staff need a game plan period. I watched the whole game. He never called a timeout. He stood up twice the whole game.(once when he thought Smith got fouled on a dunk and when a ball was out of bounds on HJ and contested it) he didn't even called a play. He called one timeout and didn't even talk to the players. The only offense they had was give the ball to K Smith and move out of the way. They have a really athletic team and they are young but no structure at all. They got behind and the kids just gave up and it turned into a HJ highlight show. Kinda felt sorry for my Jags. We must do better

[quote name="bcjag10" post="1130922" timestamp="1322319104"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92211.msg1130897#msg1130897 date=1322316288]
We played H-J last year and #10 for them got probably the same amound of dunks.  [b]I don't buy into that Dunk meter stuff[/b].  I'm sorry.  Call me old school or whatever.  You dunk, and iLll beat you with a smooth layup or an open 3.  I bet the crowd or those excited players will sit down fast.  I do admit that our coach should have been more invilved or 'animated.  (see coach Travis Williams from Memorial). I do think we need timeouts when we have multiple turnovers that lead to multiple points.  I do think our best players need to be put in great positions to create havock on opposing teams.  I do see that #25 G. Mitchell is a good player and great athlete that can very well be another weapon if used correctly. Also, I think this team is good enoug to win our district.  This H-J team beat our defending district champs by 30. We do have one of the tallest teams from an average standpoint that I've seen in like a decade.  If we can find a really good guard and a few more shooters, we'll be ok.
[/quote]In the situation we were in, the crossover on #20 made him put his head down. he answered with a flush of his own but, the damage was done. If he had more of a supporting cast as HJ's #10 he'd have responded better.
I've played ball and it does something to you if you don't settle down. Now, how do you settle down? Keep your focus. Keep the course if you are having some success, something we were not having. Technically we are not sound. Our interior players aren't drilled on block outs. Our guards play D too straight up. No reason #12 wasn't pick by our guards. They stand straight up on D. They move side to side barely bending their knees.
Good technic is bend knees, slap floor stay low. Shorter quicker players should win lower battles. you swipe enough balls it changes the way they play. We never contested their dribble. we didn't block out.
We didn't hit open shots. Some of our shots were rushed. #25 was the only player that kept his composer. Every one else even #20 lost their heads. #24 has a ton of potential, but. Our guards could be awesome but. #20 could have been a thorn for HJ, but.
I've watched a lot of basketball, and a dunk changes games at this level quicker than any other level. It does i must say depend on the coach being able to man and motivate his team. Make them understand those dunks are only worth two points. You gotta call a time out and calm the youngster if they look like deer staring in headlights as we were a few times.
#20 gotta get off to make the jags go. Central has to hit does open shot and free throws. My jags need work.
[/quote] well said

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1130606" timestamp="1322277274"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92211.msg1129890#msg1129890 date=1322263061]
[/quote]You have to look at the team and not the classification....There's 1A schools out there that can beat a lot of 3A's......but Dove, I cant help but think nash is behind this some how...

[quote name="no-look" post="1130933" timestamp="1322320410"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=92211.msg1130606#msg1130606 date=1322277274]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92211.msg1129890#msg1129890 date=1322263061]
[/quote]You have to look at the team and not the classification....There's 1A schools out there that can beat a lot of 3A's......but Dove, I cant help but think nash is behind this some how...
[/quote]Put it this way, those Hj players can play with any 4 or 5a school in this area. They are well coached. Those kids stay within the game. i watched all three games and Hj and Silsbee has good sound coaches. Two 3a teams that can compete with any 4a or 5a  team in this area.

[quote name="no-look" post="1130933" timestamp="1322320410"]
[/quote]yEP, Nash is behind a lot of things that we know nothing about. Almost like a CIA moment when I saw him at HJ/Central game with his cabinet members-Busted Nash ;D

[quote name="bcjag10" post="1130939" timestamp="1322321142"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=92211.msg1130933#msg1130933 date=1322320410]
[/quote]Put it this way, those Hj players can play with any 4 or 5a school in this area. They are well coached. Those kids stay within the game. i watched all three games and Hj and Silsbee has good sound coaches. Two 3a teams that can compete with any 4a or 5a  team in this area.
[/quote]
I think Ozen and PAM full throttle will be hard to beat IMO

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1130942" timestamp="1322321600"]
[/quote]yEP, Nash is behind a lot of things that we know nothing about. Almost like a CIA moment when I saw him at HJ/Central game with his cabinet members-Busted Nash ;D
[/quote]

Ok - you got me - but the statute of limitations will keep you from going after me for 9-11 or blowing up the levees in New Orleans.  Furthermore, the refs got it wrong when they gave HJ the two technicals and Central the chance for two 6 point plays

[quote name="stevenash" post="1131002" timestamp="1322324553"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=92211.msg1130942#msg1130942 date=1322321600]
[/quote]

Ok - you got me - but the statute of limitations will keep you from going after me for 9-11 or blowing up the levees in New Orleans.  Furthermore, the refs got it wrong when they gave HJ the two technicals and Central the chance for two 6 point plays
[/quote]Central was so far in space it woud not have mattered what the refs called.

[quote name="ballin4life" post="1130985" timestamp="1322323949"]
[quote author=bcjag10 link=topic=92211.msg1130939#msg1130939 date=1322321142]
[/quote]
I think Ozen and PAM full throttle will be hard to beat IMO
[/quote]I think PAM is the closest team in this area that can compete with HJ. HJ will win their district.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1131062" timestamp="1322328073"]
Just wondering if anybody has a schedule for todays games....I would like to head over and watch some of them..appreciate any input on this one.
[/quote]

There are no games today. This was just a one day classic, not tournament.

[quote name="bacbone9" post="1130926" timestamp="1322319360"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92211.msg1130646#msg1130646 date=1322278747]
It's hard to call plays when your lips are sealed shut. No Timouts being called or nothing. We expect a dep playoff run8 and we're not even competing with a 3a school. I know H-J is good, but geesh, show some fire and urgency. Lets see what we'll do in the second half.
[/quote]

Coaching staff need a game plan period. I watched the whole game. He never called a timeout. He stood up twice the whole game.(once when he thought Smith got fouled on a dunk and when a ball was out of bounds on HJ and contested it) he didn't even called a play. He called one timeout and didn't even talk to the players. The only offense they had was give the ball to K Smith and move out of the way. They have a really athletic team and they are young but no structure at all. They got behind and the kids just gave up and it turned into a HJ highlight show. Kinda felt sorry for my Jags. We must do better
[/quote]

These are some of the same coaches (football /basketball)  that we allowed BISD to save money with hiring instead of going out getting the right people and paying them accordingly ...

I noticed that this is the first Central game this season where there were complaints about coaches.  I think that a coach should be judged on a season or seasons rather than a single game.  Needless to say, it wouldnt have made much sense to complain about Sutherlands coaching when he lost back to back games against Central and Nederland last year and two games to Silsbee in the district race.  The detractors would have had to eat some crow when they followed the Hawks to the regional tournament for the fifth consecutive year.  I can tell you every  Monday morning which passes the quarterback shouldnt have thrown on Sunday- but of course I didnt have 5 or 6 300 pound linemen about to try to break my neck.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1131107" timestamp="1322331146"]
I noticed that this is the first Central game this season where there were complaints about coaches.  I think that a coach should be judged on a season or seasons rather than a single game.  Needless to say, it wouldnt have made much sense to complain about Sutherlands coaching when he lost back to back games against Central and Nederland last year and two games to Silsbee in the district race.  The detractors would have had to eat some crow when they followed the Hawks to the regional tournament for the fifth consecutive year.  I can tell you every  Monday morning which passes the quarterback shouldnt have thrown on Sunday- but of course I didnt have 5 or 6 300 pound linemen about to try to break my neck.
[/quote]Well as I stated earlier, I've been MIA from HS basketball for about 6 yrs. and with my first game back, It stood out like a sore thumb.

Against the better teams, Central is going to need some better outside shooting especially when the defense is not playing man to man.  Smith had his way in the Westbrook game and went to the basket whenever he wanted to.  He faced a different situation Friday afternoon and when that happens, somebody else has to be ready to contribute more.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    coachcojack
    Newest Member
    coachcojack