*#1 HARDIN-JEFFERSON @ #4 SILSBEE Broadcast*/SILSBEE WINS 59-56!!!!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159853" timestamp="1326552478"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=94174.msg1159850#msg1159850 date=1326552133]
Two comments:

1.  Santa will have to rent out Ford Park- The government is taking most everything I earn in order to help those who cant (or more likely, won't) help themselves.

2.  I can certainly understand how "having been in the trenches" and "playing that tougher schedule" is what made that 38 footer fall at the buzzer.
[/quote]

The tougher schedule may not have been what made the 38 footer fall, but it did help Silsbee to be in position to win it from 38 feet.
[/quote]

Great theory that sounds good but game results do not validate.  If that "tougher schedule" theory is valid, then why did the "tougher schedule" allow them to squander an 18 point lead?  After all, that "tougher schedule" allegedly made them more knowledgeable and more capable of handling the pressures that go with a big game.  If what you say is correct, you are, in so many words, suggesting that if HJ had played Dallas Kimball and South Oak Cliff within the last 45 days, then they would have won the game and you are also ostensibly saying that Silsbee will win the game at HJ (doesn"t matter which court a game is played on when one team is "battle tested" and the other isn't) and I disagree.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="stevenash" post="1159858" timestamp="1326552964"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=94174.msg1159855#msg1159855 date=1326552566]
SteveNash that hard schedule is what put them up by 18. HJ's heart and fight is what tied it. Jackson's skill ended it!
[/quote]

Yes, those oft practiced 38 foot skill shots win lots of games.
[/quote] :'( :'( :'(

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1159844" timestamp="1326551081"]
Silsbee is battle -tested. Been in the trenches in several games this year. They know what it takes to  win and lose in big games this year. Looking at the score, I can only assume this is HJ's first true battle for the year. If I was a HJ fan, I would feel bad about the loss last night but feel better about the future. HJ will be ready for playoffs. As I said before, both teams are making the playoffs and fighting to reach Austin. In the end, we all will be pulling for both teams during their playoff run.

On a lighter side, I think Nash and SANTA should pool their
[s]monies[/s]...err resources and rent out Ford Park for the next game, though I think the Montagne would be more intimate for this game. Okay Nash and Santa, work your majic
[/quote]
You could be right BD3. HJ is has not had many close games this year, and I doubt they have trailed in very many either. However, that's not their fault that nobody (until now) has given them much of a game. They played about the same schedule as last year, and they lost games last year against teams they destroyed this year. As mentioned by another poster, they played Nederland, Central, Jacksonville, and KW Park. These are all good teams who HJ beat easily.
I do think this game will prepare them (and Silsbee) for a deep playoff run. I'm still debating on what was more impressive: Silsbee's dominant 3rd quarter or HJ's ferocious comeback in the 4th? Proves that both teams are very explosive. Going to be an interesting road to the state tourney. Good luck to both teams.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159853" timestamp="1326552478"]
Two comments:

1.  Santa will have to rent out Ford Park- The government is taking most everything I earn in order to help those who cant (or more likely, won't) help themselves.

2.  I can certainly understand how "having been in the trenches" and "playing that tougher schedule" is what made that 38 footer fall at the buzzer.
[/quote]

The tougher schedule may not have been what made the 38 footer fall, but it did help Silsbee to be in position to win it from 38 feet.
[/quote]
Naw - none of the above:  Jackson's been TEBOWING! ;D

Badsanta you hit the nail on the head perfect comment everyone said this very undersized team could not play with the big boys because they had no height, well I guess they gained some respect on that. Had Silsbee been able to keep running in the 4th qtr like they did in the 3rd qtr they would have blown hj out and forget all the fancy dunks I'll take that buzzer beater all day.

[quote name="MBaller#1" post="1159867" timestamp="1326553941"]
Badsanta you hit the nail on the head perfect comment everyone said this very undersized team could not play with the big boys because they had no height, well I guess they gained some respect on that. Had Silsbee been able to keep running in the 4th qtr like they did in the 3rd qtr they would have blown hj out and forget all the fancy dunks I'll take that buzzer beater all day.
[/quote]

Hmmm- Why didnt Silsbee repeat what they did in the third quarter in the final 8 minutes?  For that matter, why didnt they do it in the first and second quarter?  Just curious.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1159859" timestamp="1326553005"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94174.msg1159853#msg1159853 date=1326552478]
Two comments:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Great theory that sounds good but game results do not validate.  If that "tougher schedule" theory is valid, then why did the "tougher schedule" allow them to squander an 18 point lead?  After all, that "tougher schedule" allegedly made them more knowledgeable and more capable of handling the pressures that go with a big game.  If what you say is correct, you are, in so many words, suggesting that if HJ had played Dallas Kimball and South Oak Cliff within the last 45 days, then they would have won the game and you are also ostensibly saying that Silsbee will win the game at HJ (doesn"t matter which court a game is played on when one team is "battle tested" and the other isn't) and I disagree.
[/quote]

Sorry game results definitely validate:

1.  In their closest game of the season, H-J hits 35% of their free throws;

2.  In a game where the team's last shot decides the outcome of the game, Silsbee hits their final shot, H-J does not;

3.  That 18 point lead came as they erased a 5 point deficit, which I'll have to check but is probably the lowest lead H-J had taken into the half this year.

Look, there are some who are trying to say that H-J played a cupcake schedule, I am not one of them.  But Silsbee played a tougher schedule and it gave them an edge.  How much? Probably not much...but then again, in a game that was decided by just 3 points. they didn't need too much.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159873" timestamp="1326554593"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=94174.msg1159859#msg1159859 date=1326553005]
Two comments:

1.  Santa will have to rent out Ford Park- The government is taking most
everything I earn in order to help those who cant (or more likely, won't) help themselves.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Great theory that sounds good but game results do not validate.  If that "tougher schedule" theory is valid, then why did the "tougher schedule" allow them to squander an 18 point lead?  After all, that "tougher schedule" allegedly made them more knowledgeable and more capable of handling the pressures that go with a big game.  If what you say is correct, you are, in so many words, suggesting that if HJ had played Dallas Kimball and South Oak Cliff within the last 45 days, then they
would have won the game and you are also ostensibly saying that
Silsbee will win the game at HJ (doesn"t matter which court a game is played on when one team is "battle tested" and the other isn't) and I disagree.
[/quote]

2.  In a game where the team's last shot decides the outcome of the game, Silsbee hits their final shot, H-J does not;

3.  That 18 point lead came as they erased a [b]5 point deficit, which I'll have to check but is probably the lowest lead H-J had taken into the half this year.[/b]

Look, there are some who are trying to say that H-J played a cupcake
schedule, I am not one of them.  But Silsbee played a tougher schedule
and it gave them an edge.  How much? Probably not much...but then again, in a game that was decided by just 3 points. they didn't need too much.
[/quote]
HJ led Nederland only by [s]4[/s] at half. Oops, it was 5. (27-22).

I think it was more of Silsbee loosing their edge in the 4th qtr like I said gains our leading guard really did not play very well and anytime you slow the game down it does not favor Silsbee. The game in the 3qtr kept flowing and that's why they built an 18 point lead hj's coach did not really stop that flow and it was turnover after turnover Silsbee attack hj in the 3rd qtr as for the 4qtr the game was slowed down by fouls and at sometimes poor guard play, lazy passes even one of Silsbee coaches said it seems one of the guards head wasnt in the game like it should have been. West brook beat Silsbee in the Nederland tournament by slowing the game down and that's what happen in the 4th qtr , but running with Silsbee will almost always favor the tigers which that's what happen in the 3rd qtr.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1159790" timestamp="1326520730"]
Tough loss for my Hawks.  Now that I have had time to eat, think about the game and cool down from such an exciting game I will give my thoughts.

1.  Both teams came out really tight.
2.  HJ opened it up in the 1st half with hitting the glass hard.
3.  Silsbee stayed in it with a couple of big 3s and defense in the 2nd.
4.  HJ went ICE COLD in the 3rd.
5.  Silsbee showed their quickness in the 3rd and got HOT from outside.
6.  HJ could not buy a FT and had 14 TO in the 3rd.
7.  HUGE 3 for Prudhomme at the end of the 3rd to cut it to 15.
8.  HJ came out hot in the 4th and played great defense.
9.  Silsbee started to fold in the 4th giving up a 15 pt lead.
10.  HJ tied it at the line believe it or not.
11.  HUGE 3 from 35 or so feet to win the game by Silsbee.
12.  BOTTOM LINE is that FT lost this game for the Hawks.  NOTHING ELSE!!!!!

I will argue with anyone that HJ is still the better team, but it was the Tigers night.  It took HJ shooting 35% from the FT line for the Tigers to pull out a miracle 35 footer at the buzzer to win the game.

Great game by both teams.  Congrats to the Tigers on the win.  We will see the Tigers on the 31st in Sour Lake for Round 2!!!!

Keep your heads high HJ, you came from 18 down with 8:30 to go in the game to tie it.  You never gave up!!!!  This game will make you better!!!!
[/quote]
Nice assessment, Lazeek.  But on your point #9, I would prefer the language, "Hardin-Jefferson regained control of the game in the 4th with deliberate and intelligent play."  Now, doesn't that sound better than "Silsbee started to fold . . .?"  And on your point #12 - crying about free throws missed - isn't that part of any game even though this game had more attention than most?  Tell you what, next game we'll shoot your free throws and you shoot ours; that's a fair solution don't you think? ;D

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="ST413" post="1159788" timestamp="1326520630"]
Unfortunately Tigersvoice there was some of celebration near and directed towards the Hawk fans,  hopefully it was just emotion and nothing worse.  As far as the game,  it doesn't get any better than that.  In the beginning it looked like the Tigers wouldn't have any answers for the Hawks size.  We fell behind by double digits but got the lead back down to 5 by the half.  The third quarter looked like HJ wasn't going to have any answer for the Tigers speed.  It was fun for us Tiger fans to watch.  All out hustle by the little men.  The Tigers stretched it out to as many as 19 but a big shot by Prudhomme cut it to 15 after 3.  Even with that lead you had to know that the game was very far from being over and like good teams do the Hawks showed why they hadn't been beaten making a great run of their own to the delight of their fans.  The Tiger's made some poor choices along with some great play by the Hawks and the lead was gone.  A great shot by one Zayon jackson at the end giving the Tigers the win.  I know he has had to fight with being called DC's little brother but tonight he made a name for himself and one upped his big brother.  The difference in this game came down to missed free throws and a great run by the Tigers in the third period.  I know there was a comment made about the "Hawks won't beat themselves again."  Yes they could have won the game at the freethrow line but no they didn't beat themselves the Tigers did that by doing the things they had to do to win.  A great game by two good teams.  Neither one giving up at all when they were down.  I can't wait til  game 2.
[/quote]
A really nice, logical and accurate post ST413.  A tip of the hat to you! 8)

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1159879" timestamp="1326555855"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159790#msg1159790 date=1326520730]
Tough loss for my Hawks.  Now that I have had time to eat, think about the game and cool down from such an exciting game I will give my thoughts.

I will argue with anyone that HJ is still the better team, but it was the Tigers night.  It took HJ shooting 35% from the FT line for the Tigers to pull out a miracle 35 footer at the buzzer to win the game.

Great game by both teams.  Congrats to the Tigers on the win.  We will see the Tigers on the 31st in Sour Lake for Round 2!!!!

Keep your heads high HJ, you came from 18 down with 8:30 to go in the game to tie it.  You never gave up!!!!  This game will make you better!!!!
[/quote]
Nice assessment, Lazeek.  But on your point #9, I would prefer the language, "Hardin-Jefferson regained control of the game in the 4th with deliberate and intelligent play."  Now, doesn't that sound better than "Silsbee started to fold . . .?"  And on your point #12 - crying about free
throws missed - isn't that part of any game even though this game had more attention than most?  Tell you what, next game we'll shoot your free throws and you shoot ours; that's a fair solution don't you think? ;D
[/quote]
Come on Tigersvoice, your better than that. He's not crying about the missed FTs. He's just stating a factual stat of the game. Now if he would have said that Silsbee cheated or played dirty, then maybe you could say he's crying. But when you look at the stats, FT shooting was a huge factor in the outcome of this game. Silsbee struggled though too. I'm sure Silsbee shoots better than 50% for the year. How many turnovers did each team have? Did I miss that stat?

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="stevenash" post="1159869" timestamp="1326554181"]
[quote author=MBaller#1 link=topic=94174.msg1159867#msg1159867 date=1326553941]
[/quote]

Hmmm- Why didnt Silsbee repeat what they did in the third quarter in the final 8 minutes?  For that matter, why didnt they do it in the first and second quarter?  Just curious.
[/quote]
Nash, that's simple - they couldn't.  The Hawks wouldn't let them.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1159882" timestamp="1326556418"]
[quote author=Tigersvoice link=topic=94174.msg1159879#msg1159879 date=1326555855]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159790#msg1159790 date=1326520730]

[/quote]
Nice assessment, Lazeek.  But on your point #9, I would prefer the language, "Hardin-Jefferson regained control of the game in the 4th with deliberate and intelligent play."  Now, doesn't that sound better than "Silsbee started to fold . . .?"  And on your point #12 - crying about free
throws missed - isn't that part of any game even though this game had more attention than most?  Tell you what, next game we'll shoot your free throws and you shoot ours; that's a fair solution don't you think? ;D
[/quote]
Come on Tigersvoice, your better than that. He's not crying about the missed FTs. He's just stating a factual stat of the game. Now if he would have said that Silsbee cheated or played dirty, then maybe you could say he's crying. But when you look at the stats, FT shooting was a huge factor in the outcome of this game. Silsbee struggled though too. I'm sure Silsbee shoots better than 50% for the year. How many turnovers did each team have? Did I miss that stat?
[/quote]
My point was intended to be that making or missing free throws in ANY game is just a part of [i][b]that[/b][/i] game.  I'm certain that the Hawks' season free throw shooting is better than what we saw in this game which
is why I made the swap offer for next game.  I'll almost wager (if I were a betting man :D) that the Hawks' free throw shooting for the rest of the season WILL NOT be as bad as last night.  But it's there - in the book for that game - stop crying and beating on it!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1159885" timestamp="1326557015"]
A few other stats:

FT %

HJ          11/31    [b]36%[/b] ouch!  :o
SIL          8/16    50%

3 Point %

HJ          3/18      [b]17%[/b]
SIL        7/20        [b]35%[/b] very impressive, especially after starting 1-10 to start the game.

Rebounds

HJ          40
SIL          33

Turnovers

HJ              [b]29[/b]
SIL            [b]24[/b]
That's a lot of turnovers for both teams.
[/quote]

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159873" timestamp="1326554593"]
Two comments:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

3.  That 18 point lead came as they erased a 5 point deficit, which I'll have to check but is probably the lowest lead H-J had taken into the half this year.

Look, there are some who are trying to say that H-J played a cupcake schedule, I am not one of them.  But Silsbee played a tougher schedule and it gave them an edge.  How much? Probably not much...but then again, in a game that was decided by just 3 points. they didn't need too much.
[/quote]

The missed free throws has absolutely NOTHING to do with the schedule played and is simply a statistical fluke.  While I certainly am not a basketball guru, you can rest VERY assured that I understand the statistical viewpoint as well as you or anyone else as my living depends on it.  If you believe in your "edge" theory, you need to explain why HJ was in Huntsville last year and Silsbee was not since both played schedules that relate to each other much the same as this year.  On another "statistical fluke" note, please dont suggest to me that there was any skill involved in that final shot or that the "tougher schedule" had the slightest impact on it going through the net.

No a tougher schedule didnt have anything to do with missed Hawk free throws or probably even that last shot.  But it had everything to do with giving our players the confidence in themselves to play with a much bigger, highly taughted, undefeated Hawk team.  The Tigers could have given up in the first half when they got down but they knew they had what it takes to compete with a team like HJ and in the end they not only proved it to themselves but everyone else in attendance.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1159900" timestamp="1326559166"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94174.msg1159873#msg1159873 date=1326554593]
Two comments:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The missed free throws has absolutely NOTHING to do with the schedule played and is simply a statistical fluke.  While I certainly am not a basketball guru, you can rest VERY assured that I understand the statistical viewpoint as well as you or anyone else as my living depends on it.  If you believe in your "edge" theory, you need to explain why HJ was in Huntsville last year and Silsbee was not since both played schedules that relate to each other much the same as this year.  On another "statistical fluke" note, [b]please dont suggest to me that there was any skill involved in that final shot [/b]or that the "tougher schedule" had the slightest impact on it going through the net.
[/quote]There was a lot of skill involved in that shot. A good shooter will make that shot many more times than an unskilled shooter.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Castaway57
    Newest Member
    Castaway57