UIL Private School Division?

[quote name="bigdog" post="1230263" timestamp="1339551803"]
more watering down of the playoffs. ::) .  The question will be , what will they do with the attendance numbers for 6A and down?
[/quote]

Actually my understanding is that there will be no change in the classifications but that 1A, instead of being the smallest of the 11 man schools, will now be the designation for 6 man if the decide on a "6A."

ok, but what does that accomplish?  Do you think they will move the large 5A teams into 6A and the smaller 5A teams  will stay 5A after the next realignment and trickle down from there now that they have six classifications? Or this is just something to bring the 6-man teams under the same umbrella?

[quote name="bigdog" post="1230296" timestamp="1339554816"]
ok, but what does that accomplish?  Do you think they will move the large 5A teams into 6A and the smaller 5A teams  will stay 5A after the next realignment and trickle down from there now that they have six classifications? Or this is just something to bring the 6-man teams under the same umbrella?
[/quote]

From what I have heard the latter.  No plans to break 11 man into 6 classifications.  5A teams will be 6A, 4A teams 5A and so on.

For you old timers, the reclassification designation is the same when they took class B and made it class A and everyone moved up a division in name only. If I remember right the UIL thought that having a class b was demeaning to the smaller schools and wanted them to have the same letter designation as everyone else. An apple is still an apple even though you call it a pear.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1230358" timestamp="1339592593"]
I don't see that flying....I mean how would you justify schools with 75 kids playing schools with 400 in football? They would have to have more than one classification...I don't think they would do it.
[/quote]
It's done in most other states. Small privates in with the large publics and whoopin on the them cause they recruit the top talent. Shreveport Evangel had 75 students, but was the large school classification champs for years in LA.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1230358" timestamp="1339592593"]
I don't see that flying....I mean how would you justify schools with 75 kids playing schools with 400 in football? They would have to have more than one classification...I don't think they would do it.
[/quote]

I initially had that question as well and I see it going like this (if there indeed ever comes to pass a UIL Private School Division).  You'll have a UIL "public school division" with the different classes that it has now and a UIL "private school division" that will be broken down into the different classes much like TAPPS is now, with the SPC and TCAL schools blended in.

A lot of this is being driven by the Texas Association of Non-Public Schools as they are not real happy with the head guy over a TAPPS, Edd Burleson.  They were very unhappy not only of the treatment of the Beren Academy basketball team during the TAPPS playoffs and even more unhappy about some of the public statements he made while "handling" the situation.  Neither the SPC or the TCAL would be able to handle a massive shift from TAPPS to their leagues and the TANPS knows that.  They know that the only entity that would is the UIL. 

Honestly, I think this is just a bit of a pressure play by TANPS to get TAPPS to conform to it's wishes.  Because if they think TAPPS is unyielding, they haven't seen anything yet!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Zachary Latham
    Newest Member
    Zachary Latham