2012 Baytown Lee Ganders Team Preview

[center][img]http://txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/B/BaytownLee.png[/img][/center]

[center][size=18pt][b][u][i]ROBERT E. LEE GANDERS[/i][/u][/B][/size][/center]
[center][b][size=12pt]2011 Record: 4-6 Overall, 3-4 District (5th Place in District 19-4A)[/center]

[size=12pt]2011 was a year of marked improvement for Marvin Sedberry and the Robert E. Lee Ganders as they improved their record to finish just below the .500 mark in both overall and district play.  In fact, the Ganders were in the playoff hunt with a week left in the 2011 season.  But in 2012, the Ganders will, as part of the big change in Region III, leave the familiar 19-4A for 24-4A.  But Sedberry and his thirteen remaining starters look ready to return to the 4A playoffs.

[b][u][size=14pt]Coaching Staff[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Head Coach: Marvin Sedberry, Jr.[/b]
Coaching Record:  8-23 at Baytown Lee, 15-35 overall

[b]Assistant Coaches:[/b]

Dustin Blann, Quarterbacks; David Suggs, Linebackers; Corey Sims; Receivers; Michael Washburn, Offensive line; Paci Cantu, Running backs; Layne Neumann, Tight ends; James Logan, Safeties; Gene Gonzalez, Outside linebackers; Jason Austin, Cornerbacks; Jeffery Ceasar, Defensive line

[b][u][size=14pt]Stadium Information*[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Home Stadium: Stallworth Stadium[/b]
Address: 2509 E Archer Rd., Baytown, Texas 77521
Capacity: 16000
Playing surface: Field turf

[b][u][size=14pt]2011 Results[/u][/b]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Score[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Baytown Sterling[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]28-20[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]La Porte[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]16-43[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Rosenberg Terry[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]54-28[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Crosby#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]33-32[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Barbers Hill#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7-49[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Dayton#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]23-30[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston North Forest#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]25-28[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston C.E. King#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]63-55[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Galena Park#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]35-0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Goose Creek Memorial#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]19-28[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]# - District games

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Offense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Offense: Spread
Returning starters: 6[/b]

Six starters from the 2010 Baytown Lee offense return for the 2011 season.  senior Josh Zellars (31-53, 392 yd, 4 TD passing; 53 carries, 282 yd, 1 TD rushing) returns to lead the Gander offense.  Junior Leo Cedeno (27 carries, 87 yd, 1 TD in 2011) will be called upon to carry the running load for Lee.  Junior receivers P.J. Leonce and Isaiah Gomez (10 catches, 188 yd, 1 TD in 2011) will lead a receiver corp which will also include senior Oscar Camarillo and junior Deandre Jobe.  Lee does return a veteran offensive line which will include seniors Benji Guzman (center) and Jonathan Maldanado (tackle) and juniors Lee Holts (guard) and Alex Negrete-Cuevas (tackle).

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Defense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Defense: 3-4
Returning starters: 7[/b]

Amongst the seven starters returning for Lee will be defensive linemen Ernesto Sarabia (junior) and Marcus Trent (senior).  Also seeing time on the line will be senior Denny Braxton and sophomore Wendell Smith.  Senior outside linebackers Juan Garza and Kion Richardson will be joined by junior Anthony Hidalgo.  Senior safeties Miquo Willie and Jamari Gilbert will anchor a Gander secondary that will also feature sophomore Tyrell Washington.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Special Teams[/u][/b][/size]

Senior Andrew DeLaSancha will handle the punting and place kicking duties.  Leonce will be the primary returner.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Key Games[/u][/b][/size]

Lee opens the season against crosstown rival Sterling on August 31st.  The Ganders open district play in new district 24-4A by hosting Galveston Ball on September 28th.  They finish off the regular season by traveling to Texas City on November 9th.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Schedule[/u][/b][/size]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Date[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Time[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Aug. 31[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Baytown Sterling[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 7[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Pasadena Rayburn[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 15[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Houston Spring Woods[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 21[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]OPEN[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 28[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Galveston Ball#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 5[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Goose Creek Memorial#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 11[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Galena Park#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 19[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Pearland Dawson#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 26[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Santa Fe#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 2[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Friendswood#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 9[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Texas City#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]#-District Games

* Source: Texas Stadium Database:  http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=637
Helmets Courtesy of: http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1236608" timestamp="1342535309"]
I don't think so. Suggs wouldn't take a 4a job, let alone an assistant job. 

While I'm thinking about it, GCMPats, do you have any insight on this preview from one of Baytown's finest?
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, but no matter where my heart is, my blood runs Ranger Blue. Got nothing good to say about the ganders.

Beat the L out of REL!

That is THE David Suggs. Came to REL from Ball.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1236613" timestamp="1342535774"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=101047.msg1236608#msg1236608 date=1342535309]

While I'm thinking about it, GCMPats, do you have any insight on this preview from one of Baytown's finest?
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, but no matter where my heart is, my blood runs Ranger Blue. Got nothing good to say about the ganders.

Beat the L out of REL!

[/quote]he's gonna have that defense keeping Lee in some games.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1236663" timestamp="1342544673"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=101047.msg1236613#msg1236613 date=1342535774]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=101047.msg1236608#msg1236608 date=1342535309]

[/quote]

Beat the L out of REL!

[/quote]

He was there last year. Not enough horses.

Got to visit with Coach Suggs some last year (we teach the same subject). First class gentleman.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1236677" timestamp="1342545964"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101047.msg1236663#msg1236663 date=1342544673]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=101047.msg1236613#msg1236613 date=1342535774]

[/quote]

Beat the L out of REL!

[/quote]

He was there last year. Not enough horses.

Got to visit with Coach Suggs some last year (we teach the same subject). First class gentleman.
[/quote]he shoulda been the first HC of Memorial instead of Colbert.

They didn't have a pathetic defense last year, which was a step up.
They held GCM pretty well.  When I say they held them well, I mean that it took GCM to third down to get a lot of the first downs.  That's considered holding them well when you are a Lee fan.  :D

Gilbert, Willie and Zellars in the secondary should be a pretty good start.  Sarabia and Trent are actually better than average up front.  Garza and Richardson are scrappy.  I think Garza moved to safety or corner though if we can take the spring game into account.  I prefer Garza at linebacker.  They don't have much in the front seven outside of those four though.

The offense should be better than average with Zellars and Cedeno running the ball.  They both run hard.  The passing game will take a step backward though. 

Dawson, Friendswood and TC will probably all rip Lee a new one.  Other than that, they should be able to at least be competitive.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="AHUDDLESTON" post="1238883" timestamp="1343050465"]
I think some in PA resented Coach Suggs for having 16 coaching increments.  It wasn't his fault, PAISD agreed with it.  Get what you can.
[/quote]

What are "coaching increments"?

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="AHUDDLESTON" post="1238910" timestamp="1343053728"]
Some people say stipends.  It is what you make for each sport coached.
[/quote]
Gotcha. Thanks

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goslin
    Newest Member
    Goslin