ESPN's Dick Vitale on the current state of college basketball recruiting

Tell it like it is Dickie V!!!!

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/8230028/college-basketball-recruiting-changed

Just a little tidbit from Vitale's article:

The time has come ... Let's cut the nonsense out of college basketball recruiting.

The sport has been hurt by what has become a joke. What has transpired in the world of recruiting is unhealthy and taking a toll on a number of programs.

I have talked to a number of coaches, and they have spoken off the record about the incidents transpiring in summer basketball and the world of the AAU teams ruling the highly regarded players. Many of the coaches in these programs are peddling their players to the highest bidder.

What happened to the good old days when the high school coach was important? When recruiting was done with high school coaches involved, it was really done the right way.

Right now, college basketball recruiting has become a cesspool. It's getting to the point where you are embarrassed to be part of the game.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1241952" timestamp="1344030311"]
[b]"Right now, college basketball recruiting has become a cesspool. It's getting to the point where you are embarrassed to be part of the game."[/b]- Dick Vitale

Maybe our DV is right. AAU=the devil
[/quote]Lets ask the real DV.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1242052" timestamp="1344053994"]
Guys, about 5% of these teams run questionable programs (agents...etc, etc...)and this is what the critics focus on. Just like there are high schools out there running not-so-clean programs.
[/quote]

I'll take Vitale's word (one that comes from a man with far more experience and knowledge of the subject).

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1242053" timestamp="1344054663"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=101428.msg1242052#msg1242052 date=1344053994]
Guys, about 5% of these teams run questionable programs (agents...etc, etc...)and this is what the critics focus on. Just like there are high schools out there running not-so-clean programs.
[/quote]

I'll take Vitale's word (one that comes from a man with far more experience and knowledge of the subject).
[/quote]Vitale stuck in the 90's and early 2000's. Times have changed. He's listening to the same coaches who along with their schools have helped promote and sustain  the "live periods" which in turn continues to keep the power away from high school coaches. Here is a great idea:  Tell the NCAA and their board of college presidents to stop having the live periods  :o  No "live period" and now guess who the college coaches will start contacting .....hmmmmm?  Now back to Vitale. For every rogue so-called AAU or summer ball program, I can personally give you five teams who run their programs correctly and by the rules. Most of the bad programs stem from the fact that anybody can start a summer team. Usually by a dad who needs to find a way for his son to get some playing time, then tries to package deal his son and and  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X. Well, thats a whole another topic!!!

For those of us who have attended an AAU event, we know that there is not much organization as far as an offense or defense. There is limited structure with these team's (most of them). I've observed kids who were not very good in a structured offense excel in AAU. I've also witnessed the opposite. There is too much individual play IMO. Most colleges run a structured offense, no? Just bc a kid can 'get to the hole' does not make him a great player, IMO. Not sure why hundreds of recruiters go to these live periods, but you don't hear about them (as much) attending a structured High School game. I think (the real) Dickie V. nailed this one!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1242097" timestamp="1344097600"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=101428.msg1242053#msg1242053 date=1344054663]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=101428.msg1242052#msg1242052 date=1344053994]
[/quote]

[/quote]Vitale stuck in the 90's and early 2000's. Times have changed. He's listening to the same coaches who along with their schools have helped promote and sustain  the "live periods" which in turn continues to keep the power away from high school coaches. Here is a great idea:  Tell the NCAA and their board of college presidents to stop having the live periods  :o  No "live period" and now guess who the college coaches will start contacting .....hmmmmm?  Now back to Vitale. For every rogue so-called AAU or summer ball program, I can personally give you five teams who run their programs correctly and by the rules. Most of the bad programs stem from the fact that anybody can start a summer team. Usually by a dad who needs to find a way for his son to get some playing time, then tries to package deal his son and and  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X. Well, thats a whole another topic!!!
[/quote]
There will always be someone, somewhere, who will bend/break the rules. And the examples you mentioned, though true in some cases, are not the rule. Sure SOME HS coaches would get dirty with the 'package deal' you mentioned, but it's an exception, not the norm. I could be naive, that's just what my opinion.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1242099" timestamp="1344098243"]
For those of us who have attended an AAU event, we know that there is not much organization as far as an offense or defense. There is limited structure with these team's (most of them). I've observed kids who were not very good in a structured offense excel in AAU. I've also witnessed the opposite. There is too much individual play IMO. Most colleges run a structured offense, no? Just bc a kid can 'get to the hole' does not make him a great player, IMO. Not sure why hundreds of recruiters go to these live periods, but you don't hear about them (as much) attending a structured High School game. I think (the real) Dickie V. nailed this one!
[/quote]Not true Abe :D Go to the EYBL Nike  sponsored league. All these teams run different offenses, but primarily a motion offense. Go watch the top teams....Defenders Select an Under Armour team.....watch their offense. Go watch  Seattle Rotary 15u team. Their offense is a very patient offense. They pass the ball at least 6-10 times unless there is an open shot or layup.The average high school kid could not flourish in top/elite competition. Just a different [s]devil.[/s]..errr monster. Roy Williams ain' t travelling to Beaumont to see not one kid in this area. Too much money spent for travel even if he wanted to see one kid. He can go to Augusta, SC and see 20 kids all in one place, whose on his interest list. Our Dickie V is now learning to sleep with the devil. He's beginning to see why that monster is growing.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1242031" timestamp="1344048997"]
Who was the player that got a scholarship playing AAU ball a few years ago but didnt even play for his own HS? I remember hearing about it.
[/quote]I think he was from Mississippi and moved to Cali. Can't think of his name.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1242114" timestamp="1344103908"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=101428.msg1242097#msg1242097 date=1344097600]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=101428.msg1242053#msg1242053 date=1344054663]
[/quote]

[/quote]
There will always be someone, somewhere, who will bend/break the rules. And the examples you mentioned, though true in some cases, are not the rule. Sure SOME HS coaches would get dirty with the 'package deal' you mentioned, but it's an exception, not the norm. I could be naive, that's just what my opinion.
[/quote] Exception to the rules is a norm ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1242116" timestamp="1344105219"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=101428.msg1242099#msg1242099 date=1344098243]
[/quote]Not true Abe :D Go to the EYBL Nike  sponsored league. All these teams run different offenses, but primarily a motion offense. Go watch the top teams....Defenders Select an Under Armour team.....watch their offense. Go watch  Seattle Rotary 15u team. Their offense is a very patient offense. They pass the ball at least 6-10 times unless there is an open shot or layup.The average high school kid could not flourish in top/elite competition. Just a different [s]devil.[/s]..errr monster. Roy Williams ain' t travelling to Beaumont to see not one kid in this area. Too much money spent for travel even if he wanted to see one kid. He can go to Augusta, SC and see 20 kids all in one place, whose on his interest list. Our Dickie V is now learning to sleep with the devil. He's beginning to see why that monster is growing.
[/quote]
I believe you, and that may be true at the elite tourneys, but for the majority of teams, there is no structure. I've attended many of these events, and MOST of them DO NOT have a set offense. Yes, there are some, but not many. I've observed many teams pass the ball 10-12 times, but the offense is very simple. Pass and go through...down screen pop out... The most common offense I've seen (even with the really good teams) is high pick and roll. It's effective, no doubt. Just not what a majority of college programs run.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1242116" timestamp="1344105219"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=101428.msg1242099#msg1242099 date=1344098243]
[/quote]
BTW-I'm sure Roy Williams would love to come to Beaumont, he just doesn't know it!  ;D On a serious note, I believe AAU is a necessary evil as Walter said last month after attending an event. I just don't think it should be the primary method college coaches find their talent. And I have watched the Defenders, Houston Hoops and many others. They are much more patient, but their is still too much individual play IMO.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1242121" timestamp="1344106388"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=101428.msg1242116#msg1242116 date=1344105219]
[/quote]
I believe you, and that may be true at the elite tourneys, but for the majority of teams, there is no structure. I've attended many of these events, and MOST of them DO NOT have a set offense. Yes, there are some, but not many. I've observed many teams pass the ball 10-12 times, but the offense is very simple. Pass and go through...down screen pop out... The most common offense I've seen (even with the really good teams) is high pick and roll. It's effective, no doubt. Just not what a majority of college programs run.
[/quote] I am agreeing with you and I see the same thing. The majority of local tourneys have kids running up and down the floor. I'm only saying that when you watch most of the elite teams, they're running plays if there isn't a fast break available. Pick and roll is one of the hardest offenses to cover if you have a point guard and big who can catch it and put it on the floor, if needed.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1242124" timestamp="1344107324"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=101428.msg1242116#msg1242116 date=1344105219]
[/quote]
BTW-I'm sure Roy Williams would love to come to Beaumont, he just doesn't know it!  ;D On a serious note, I believe AAU is a necessary evil as Walter said last month after attending an event. I just don't think it should be the primary method college coaches find their talent. And I have watched the Defenders, Houston Hoops and many others. They are much more patient, but their is still too much individual play IMO.
[/quote] Eliminate the open/live periods  ;) But hold your breath because Roy Williams and company (in my opinion) like this devil over the other choices. They support it in droves.

Not a single kid from our area good enough to play on one of those teams that run an offense. There is no doubt that aau makes it easier for college coaches to watch. But the Roy's would be seeing the same kids at Nike camps or other camps anyway, with out the sleeze ball aau coaches. Was done like that for years. Not a single college coach I know that wouldnt like it back to the old way. But then again I dont hang out with under the table coaches.

[quote name="team first" post="1242187" timestamp="1344132920"]
Not a single kid from our area good enough to play on one of those teams that run an offense. There is no doubt that aau makes it easier for college coaches to watch. But the Roy's would be seeing the same kids at Nike camps or other camps anyway, with out the sleeze ball aau coaches. Was done like that for years. Not a single college coach I know that wouldnt like it back to the old way. But then again I dont hang out with under the table coaches.
[/quote] See, this is my point. It don't matter what was done late in 1990
s or early 2000's. If the camps were all the coaches needed, then why do the NCAA and their university co-horts sleep with the devil? They continue to vote & decide to continue to having live periods.......hmmm? It ain't the AAU or summer coaches. Blame the real devil who allows it......hmmmmm!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1242052" timestamp="1344053994"]
[/quote]

Would you be referring to a certain Houston area school that just dropped down to 3A?

The AAU circuit makes it EASIER to evaluate and locate kids. Remember that while the high school season is going on, the college season is going at the same time.  You guys that know me, know how I really have never cared for AAU basketball, but unfortunately it has become a very necessary tool in recruiting.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1242230" timestamp="1344174736"]
The AAU circuit makes it EASIER to evaluate and locate kids. Remember that while the high school season is going on, the college season is going at the same time.  You guys that know me, know how I really have never cared for AAU basketball, but unfortunately it has become a very necessary tool in recruiting.
[/quote]And there you have it from the "Real D.V." on being real. There are some benefits on the dark side.  ;D

[quote name="Mr. Happy" post="1242229" timestamp="1344174692"]
[/quote]

Would you be referring to a certain Houston area school that just dropped down to 3A?
[/quote]Jones High run a clean program  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4