Best Defense

incognito

[quote name="WOS99" post="1265908" timestamp="1347203331"]
If you base it off PPG and YPG, those four would rank:
1. Vidor
2. WO-S
3. Nederland
4. Memorial

But based on those stats, Memorial wouldn't be in the picture, [b]allowing 20 points per game[/b].
[/quote]  17.5 to be exact.

[quote name="WOS99" post="1265908" timestamp="1347203331"]
If you base it off PPG and YPG, those four would rank:
1. Vidor
2. WO-S
3. Nederland
4. Memorial

But based on those stats, Memorial wouldn't be in the picture, allowing 20 points per game.
[/quote]

I hear ya, stats are a measuring stick...but then you have to get into the weeds a little in comparing who each team played and so forth....

[quote name="incognito" post="1265884" timestamp="1347201608"]

Who has the best defense in the G/T area?

Just my opinion..i.e. no stats, haven't compared the numbers, but here's how I see it so far.

1. Port Arthur Memorial Titans

2. Nederland Bulldogs

3. West Orange-Stark Mustangs

4. Vidor Pirates

Whatcha think am I wrong? :-\
[/quote]

Actually I think I could switch # 2 and 3...I was looking at these defenses as a balanced package, i.e against both the run and pass.

I think the list is good, so far.  The Pirates defense is good, but that game last Friday showed some stuff that has to be fixed before district play.  We didnt tackle very well, at times and we had some holes in the secondary.  I counted 4 passes that hit the receiver right in their hands and they just didnt catch the ball.  That wasnt good defense, that was poor offensive execution.  Maybe it was a case of expecting your opponent to fall down when you hit him and Im sure the coaches saw that on the game film.  I expect there will be some tackling drills this week in practice.  Dont get me wrong, I think the Pirate defense is stout, but the offense is outshining the defense right now.  Not a bad thing to have an offense that overshadows a good defense.

[quote name="texas2step4u" post="1265942" timestamp="1347206623"]
I think the list is good, so far.  The Pirates defense is good, but that game last Friday showed some stuff that has to be fixed before district play.  We didnt tackle very well, at times and we had some holes in the secondary.  I counted 4 passes that hit the receiver right in their hands and they just didnt catch the ball.  That wasnt good defense, that was poor offensive execution.  Maybe it was a case of expecting your opponent to fall down when you hit him and Im sure the coaches saw that on the game film.  I expect there will be some tackling drills this week in practice.  Dont get me wrong, I think the Pirate defense is stout, but the offense is outshining the defense right now.  Not a bad thing to have an offense that overshadows a good defense.
[/quote]

If the Pirates can shore up the secondary and work on the fundamentals they will be OK...I don't think they are playing they're best ball yet, but I agree with your assessment.

[quote name="incognito" post="1265949" timestamp="1347207273"]
[quote author=texas2step4u link=topic=102849.msg1265942#msg1265942 date=1347206623]
[/quote]

If the Pirates can shore up the secondary and work on the fundamentals they will be OK...I don't think they are playing they're best ball yet, but I agree with your assessment.
[/quote]

I agree with this assessment. I think we were a little lax with BC but expect us to play tougher Fri. We get Jon Boy back in and Whitmire continues to heal. I thought Celly Thomas had a good game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo