Is this site really in trouble?

Guest incognito123

Guest incognito123
I saw in an earlier post, on the political forum, that the owner of this site could no longer afford to keep it up and running.  Is this true or was AggiesAreWe just joking? 

[quote name="BringThePain" post="1323770" timestamp="1352408976"]
I saw in an earlier post, on the political forum, that the owner of this site could no longer afford to keep it up and running.  Is this true or was AggiesAreWe just joking?
[/quote]

I'd like to read AAW's post in context.... link?

Guest incognito123
http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=105875.0

He talks about it in this thread.  Says that since Obama won, the owner can no longer afford to keep it open.  Seems like he's joking, but he hasn't let up.  Lots of folks on the political boards wondering.  I hadn't seen mention here so I thought I"d clue you guys in.

[quote name="BringThePain" post="1323844" timestamp="1352412929"]
Level with us AAW.  Is it true or are you just stirring the pot?
[/quote]

I will say this. The owner of the site is searching for ways to increase the amount of income for this site in order to keep it running. The costs of running the site has gone up. We upgraded to a bigger and better server to handle the increase in traffic. The bigger the site grows, the more expensive it is to keep running.

Would love to keep this site a free site, but times do change.

The site will not go down within a week. That was tongue in cheek. But that doesn't mean that everything is "peachy king" as far as the costs are concerned. There will come a time when this will have to be addressed in order to keep the site running.

The owner has set up the donation function again. Any donation is appreciated.

We are discussing things like subscriptions and advertising.

If anyone has any ideas please post them. We could use all the input we can get.

Thanks for helping make this site what it is, simply the best!!

And let me make this as clear as possible, the donations that are made go strictly to the upkeep of the site.  No person derives their income from the donations made to SETXsports.com.  All of us have avenues of income (jobs) which pay our bills.  In fact, mine over the last couple of weeks has gotten so hectic that it has put me WAY behind on a couple of tasks for the site.  I apologize for the delay and hope to have that rectified at the very least by kickoff tomorrow.

[quote name="NDNation" post="1323856" timestamp="1352413820"]
Advertising would be great...I know several small business owners. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly or yearly fee, if thats what it takes to keep going.
[/quote]

Yep, small businesses or even the heavy industry in the area might be willing to pay for advertising, especially with the amount of site views that we get.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1323862" timestamp="1352414041"]
And let me make this as clear as possible, the donations that are made go strictly to the upkeep of the site.  No person derives their income from the donations made to SETXsports.com.  All of us have avenues of income (jobs) which pay our bills.  In fact, mine over the last couple of weeks has gotten so hectic that it has put me WAY behind on a couple of tasks for the site.  I apologize for the delay and hope to have that rectified at the very least by kickoff tomorrow.
[/quote]

That is correct.

The money donated to the site is put back into the site to help maintain the site and also purchase equipment needed for broadcasting.

Is there some kind of packet this site has.. That can be mailed to potential businesses that might be interested in advertising? Or maybe a mass mail out to local businesses. 

Oh and I wouldn't have a problem with a yearly member fee either...

[quote name="bigdog" post="1323866" timestamp="1352414192"]
[quote author=NDNation link=topic=105950.msg1323856#msg1323856 date=1352413820]
Advertising would be great...I know several small business owners. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly or yearly fee, if thats what it takes to keep going.
[/quote]

Yep, small businesses or even the heavy industry in the area might be willing to pay for advertising, especially with the amount of site views that we get.
[/quote]

That's a real possibility. Several of the local refineries sponsor the Friday night broadcasts. A couple might be willing to put money into the site in return for advertisement here and getting mentioned on the Tuesday night preview shows.

Or better yet, look into some sports memorabilia stores. A lot of local shops in Jefferson County sell stuff for the local teams. It seems like advertising on a high school sports site would go hand in hand with their business.

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1323891" timestamp="1352416294"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=105950.msg1323845#msg1323845 date=1352412990]
I'f it's true that sucks, but life must go on!
[/quote]
Oh my!  Another pithy comment from Badsanta.  Ain't he something? ;D
[/quote] :D

Aggie,

I have mentioned before you guys need to reach outside of the Golden Triangle for advertisers. What are things people drive to Houston or the surrounding towns for? Cars, hotels, roofing, restaurants, shopping etc....I think advertisers in Sports Medicine could also be a big help for you. Many parents may want a second opinion on a child's injury. Big opportunity there. Most hospitals have money to throw away!

Baptist and St. Elizabeth Hospital should buy space on here as well as Mike Smith and the Twin City Daler. A lot of people on this site have kids who are turning of age to drive. Looking for a car, check out the link etc...need to find a great place to eat going to watch Nederland or Silsbee, eat here. Have them offer some sort of coupon on your site for free appetizer or a free soda with your food purchase. Make it printable from your site. Hotel discounts for those traveling to Austin or Dallas for the state championship.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo